VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd be interested to know if anyone else has Kdenlive 16.12.3 (the latest update) and has the same glitch as I have. If so, did you find a solution different to mine?

For a while I have been using ProRes Normal (10-bit 4:2:2) as my editing intermediate, but the other day I did some camera tests, used my usual procedure, only to find that with proxies turned off the image in the preview window was sort of layered, the best description I can give is laying out some playing cards from left to right and overlapping them by about 50%. It went away when I turned proxies back on, but was present in the rendered output. I also re-loaded a project that had been successfully completed in 16.12.2 and it did the same. It was a bit of luck it was only a series of short tests and not a much larger project!

I also tested with 10 and 8-bit DNxHD, MJPEG 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 and ProRes HQ. It turns out that it cannot handle 10-bit since the update from 16.12.2, all the 8-bit inputs were fine. So I'm going to be using Cinelerra-GG 5.1 at least until the next Kdenlive update when, hopefully, this glitch is sorted. Unless anyone can tell me of another solution, of course
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A search of this forum for 'kdenlive' doesn't get that many hits. Maybe the Kdenlive user forum?

https://forum.kde.org/viewforum.php?f=262

And include info like your distro and release number, whether you installed it from the repos or a ppa (& which ppa if so), and whether it's a stable release of kdenlive or alpha/beta.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just test it with DNxHD 4:2:2 and all is well. I noticed no abnormalities in Kdenlive v 16.12.3 running in Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon with kde-runtime installed.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for you replies.

Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    A search of this forum for 'kdenlive' doesn't get that many hits. Maybe the Kdenlive user forum?
    I looked in before I posted here, no mention of it there.

And include info like your distro and release number, whether you installed it from the repos or a ppa (& which ppa if so), and whether it's a stable release of kdenlive or alpha/beta.
    Apologies, I thought the reason I filled that information in when registering was so other members would know or could find out. Thinking about it, why the heck would you want to search my profile to answer a question anyway, I probably wouldn't.

OK, my OS is Manjaro KDE, a fully updated rolling release so no release number, which I have been using for about 18 months, Kdenlive which was recently updated via Manjaro to 16.12.3, their latest stable release. I have had a love-hate relationship with Kdenlive for several years, I won't bore you with details, suffice it to say when it works I like it, but too many times from 0.9.8 onwards updates have broken things that were working. Frustrating!

Racer-x: I did test it with DNxHD 8-bit and it worked well enough, but not with 10-bit as it did until the update. I had settled on ProRes Normal for my intermediate as it works with all the NLEs I have tried, including Kdenlive until the update, Cinelerra-GG 5.1, Blender and Flowblade. I don't want to change to a different editing intermediate yet again (another story!), so if there isn't a new setting somewhere in Kdenlive that I have missed, I shall be using Cin-GG instead.

I didn't know Kdenlive 16.12.3 was available for Linux Mint, not that I've looked. Presumably you added the Sunab PPA? I am using Mint 18.1 KDE on my laptop but not for video editing, I'll have a look later out of interest.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I got the ppa from the Kdenlive site: https://kdenlive.org/download/

You can also try the AppImage to see if that makes a difference. I'll have to test Prores to see what happens there.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    10-bit Prores works fine here...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    10-bit Prores works fine here...
    Now that is interesting! It suggests it's not enitrely a Kdenlive thing, more likely a Kdenlive/Manjaro interface thing.

This has hit on one of the disadvantages of using a running release Linux distro. Because of it being running release Manjaro, in common with all rolling releases, discourages and indeed makes it difficult to, install untested packages so I shall not be downloading and installing from Kdenlive, because for me the advantages of rolling release outweigh the disadvantages and I don't want to risk breaking the system. However, the Appimage looks like a possibility, although it needs a download from the Arch repository for it to run. I'll check it out later.

One thing is certain. I shall not be changing what has been a reliable Linux distro just for one package that currently does not work correctly on my system. It is a possibility that a Manjaro update will fix it in the near future, so I will try it again in a few weeks, but in the meantime, Cinelerra-GG rules. It's not a great imposition, I prefer Cinelerra in some ways.

Thanks for your help. Now I know where to look for it to be fixed on my system.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or possibly codec issue. Are you up to date with ffmpeg? I have v3.2 installed on my system. http://tipsonubuntu.com/2016/11/02/install-ffmpeg-3-2-via-ppa-ubuntu-16-04/ Don't know if that makes a difference though. Kdenlive does have a few quirks now and then, especially when doing heavy compositing. A few times I had to do multiple renders to work around them.

I've tried Cinelerra before. It's interesting, but the interface is very strange to me and I got tired of trying to figure it out.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's unlikely to be a codec issue, Manjaro updates everything quite quickly and, normally, in the right order. I also have ffmpeg 3.2, but it's possible, it's the sort of thing I was hinting at when I said Kdenlive/Manjaro interface. It may be worth a re-install of Kdenlive.

I found the best way to work with Kdenlive is to transcode footage and always use proxy files, it's neat how it will transcode, generate proxies and add them to the project all at one go. Something else I found useful, although a bit inconvenient, is the Processing Threads setting in Settings/Environment. To work on the timeline it needs to be set to 1 because various things don't work properly if set higher, but to render it speeds things up considerably to set it to the number of CPU cores (or threads).

I've tried Cinelerra before. It's interesting, but the interface is very strange to me and I got tired of trying to figure it out.
    I know what you mean, I halfheartedly messed around with it for a couple of years without getting it to do anything much, for most of that time I couldn't even find a file format it would work with. Then when Kdenlive became unuseable for me at the 0.9.8 update there didn't seem to be a lot of choice, so I got stuck in and learned, I'm glad I did. I like it, in some ways better than Kdenlive and now ffmpeg based Cin-GG 5.1 is available, there is a much better choice of input and output formats. I have completed a few projects in older versions of Cinelerra. It has its quirks like all NLEs do, but I like the interface and find many of the keyboard shortcuts quite easy to remember.

I replied to your Cinelerra thread a couple of days ago. If you're interested I'll guide you through the bits I know, but maybe there rather than here just in case we will be breaking the rules by changing the subject.
    Last edited by DeJay; 12th Apr 2017 at 05:26.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Update

Knowing the Kdenlive update appears to be OK, I looked elsewhere and found it was MLT causing the problem. A re-install of MLT and Kdenlive is back to normal.

Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well that explains it. Just out of curiosity, which version gave problems and which version did you update to? My current version of MLT is 6.5.0. I wonder if an update in MLT will cure a nagging problem with overlays in comps with mattes I've experienced a few times.

Example:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kdenlive.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	41251  

Last edited by racer-x; 15th Apr 2017 at 05:22.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    Just out of curiosity, which version gave problems and which version did you update to?
    It's not quite that straightforward. Manjaro is based on Arch Linux and has access to the Arch User Repository, but as a rolling release it's not recommended to install from there, although permissible. I found I had MLT-git r1-1 from AUR, no doubt in an update (AUR updates come separately from Manjaro ones), there's Kdenlive-git 17.03.70 there too, presumably they match. When I tried to install the Manjaro version of MLT, 6.4.1-5, there was an incompatibility and mlt-git had to be removed first. Probably something I installed from AUR won't work when next tried.

Looking on the MLT page, it says 6.4.1 is the latest version, I don't think that's much help somehow!
    Last edited by DeJay; 16th Apr 2017 at 02:38. Reason: Correct some information
    Quote Quote