VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. my tv has been doing this for hours. can someone help?

http://white-light.net/mytv.MOV

i use camcast remote. supposedly the screen light up after the sound. now it's just the sound over and over?

i used to not be able to turn it off. then i discovered that i can press the red "All On" button for 5 sec to turn it off. now i also long-press the button to turn it on. It took a few attempts like this. then takes longer and longer, and its been 3 hours today.. still going.
    Last edited by vpn; 27th Jun 2015 at 18:52.
    Quote Quote  
  2. i finally turn it on by holding down the cable button, and then holding down the power button??
    how does this thing work?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vpn View Post
    i finally turn it on by holding down the cable button, and then holding down the power button??
    how does this thing work?
    Comcast included a brochure containing instructions on how to use and set up the remote with your equipment. Read them.

If you lost the instructions, there are instructions online here: https://customer.xfinity.com/remotes/
    Quote Quote  
  4. i followed the instruction, and it appeared that it was successful because it blinked twice.

now i still have to long-press the "All On" red button to turn the tv off.

a few hours later when i am trying to turn on the tv, same thing: i long-press All-On, power, and cable.. nothing works?

even worse, i cannot even turn it off. i can only pull the plug..
    Quote Quote  
  5. Red blinking doesn't mean anything - i see frequently that some commands can be recognized (red blinking) and ignored (or worse - incorrectly recognized) - you probably need more tries or better ask for correct code that works with your TV.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i followed the instruction, and it appeared that it was successful because it blinked twice.

now i still have to long-press the "All On" red button to turn the tv off.

a few hours later when i am trying to turn on the tv, same thing: i long-press All-On, power, and cable.. nothing works?

even worse, i cannot even turn it off. i can only pull the plug..
    Since you can't set up the Comcast remote correctly for your TV, just use the Comcast remote to operate the cable box. The TV's own remote should still work for operating the TV.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

Since you can't set up the Comcast remote correctly for your TV, just use the Comcast remote to operate the cable box. The TV's own remote should still work for operating the TV.
    the tv does not respond to my TV remote's power button at all .. the light button indicates that the battery is still good.

is this a problem with the TV or the camcast cable box?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried turning the tv on manually to see if it's a problem withe the tv and not the remote?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Have you tried turning the tv on manually to see if it's a problem withe the tv and not the remote?
    when i press the power button, it just beeps and the sound continues.
    i then power off my comcast cable box (without disconnecting the cable), and plug the tv power into another outlet. same sound continues.
    it basically seems like the tv is going on and off continuously.

i had a similar problem with my stereo. it made a loud clicking sound even when powered off (and staying connected).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does the problem occur with the Comcast box disconnected from the TV (the HDMI cable is unplugged)? If so your TV is the problem. If the TV is still under warranty, contact Samsung (or the company from which you bought the warranty if it is not from Samsung) to find out where you should take it to be fixed.

If the warranty has expired, and this was not an expensive model, then you need a new TV. Even simple TV repairs can cost more than a new TV. It might cost $80 (or more) even to have someone look at the TV to give you an estimate.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 28th Jun 2015 at 13:09. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Does the problem occur with the Comcast box disconnected from the TV (the HDMI cable is unplugged)? If so your TV is the problem. If the TV is still under warranty, contact Samsung (or the company from which you bought the warranty if it is not from Samsung) to find out where you should take it to be fixed.

If the warranty has expired, and this was not an expensive model, then you need a new TV. Even simple TV repairs can cost more than a new TV. It might cost $80 (or more) even to have someone look at the TV to give you an estimate.
    the tv finally turns on after like 30 min, and shows "no signal." as i tried to power on the cable box, i realized that i fried it. so no tv today no matter what.

the tv was $1500 from like 8 years ago. so i guess i either get it repaired or quit watching tv.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the tv was $1500 from like 8 years ago. so i guess i either get it repaired or quit watching tv.
    You probably can't get an 8-year old TV repaired if a part needs to be replaced. A new LCD TV the same size will likely cost half as much, maybe less.

8 years ago I helped my father pick out a new 26-inch Samsung TV. It cost $600 on sale. I just looked at a new Samsung 40-inch LED TV at Best Buy selling for $380.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 28th Jun 2015 at 15:46. Reason: A previous edit of this post did not work
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    You probably can't get an 8-year repaired if it a part needs to be replaced. A new LCD TV the same size will likely cost half as much, maybe less.

8 years ago I helped my father pick out a new 26-inch Samsung TV. It cost $600 on sale. I just looked at a new Samsung 40-inch LED TV at Best Buy selling for $380.
    WOW
    thats about the price of a lawn mower
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by vpn View Post
    the tv finally turns on after like 30 min, and shows "no signal." as i tried to power on the cable box, i realized that i fried it. so no tv today no matter what.

Use different video source(DVD?) to confirm if TV is broken or not.
    And TV's are cheaper nowadays - repair of the old one is possible but usually not worth any effort - and my advice - avoid Samsung TV's - planned obsolescence is disrespecting for customers.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Don't avoid samsung tvs,they make really good ones at a good price,just don't get lg tvs if you are a purest and want better black levels.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Don't avoid samsung tvs,they make really good ones at a good price,just don't get lg tvs if you are a purest and want better black levels.

Sorry can't share your enthusiasm for Samsung - Samsung doing some devices for my company and i work with those guys on daily basis...
    Samsung have bad reputation on multiple aspects - easily you can find other vendor with same or better quality...
    Quote Quote  
  17. The TV is 8 years old?

IIRC, that's about the time Samsung was using shitty Chinese capacitors. And lots of owners have had similar problems.
    Samsung had to change suppliers, and the problem was discussed a lot on sites like videohelp, avs, etc.

I hesitate to say, because if someone is stupid about it, well...
    Anyway, if you unplug the TV and leave it unplugged the better part of a day, it will be safe to take the back off.
    Look for any bulged or leaking capacitors (those things that look like miniature beer cans).
    A good many people have been able to use a soldering iron to replace a bad capacitor with an equivalent new one.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    The TV is 8 years old?

IIRC, that's about the time Samsung was using shitty Chinese capacitors. And lots of owners have had similar problems.
    Samsung had to change suppliers, and the problem was discussed a lot on sites like videohelp, avs, etc.

I hesitate to say, because if someone is stupid about it, well...
    Anyway, if you unplug the TV and leave it unplugged the better part of a day, it will be safe to take the back off.
    Look for any bulged or leaking capacitors (those things that look like miniature beer cans).
    A good many people have been able to use a soldering iron to replace a bad capacitor with an equivalent new one.
    it just took me over half an hour to replace my iphone battery, and i still ended up losing a screw. now i am going to take my tv apart..? well at least the screws are going to be detectable by my eyes lol.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    8 years of service from any consumer electronic device isn't exactly terrible.

People complain that LCD TVs don't have the lifespan of CTR TVs, but CRT TVs didn't all last for 20 years. A Panasonic CRT TV that my parents bought in 1999 was going downhill by the time they got the Samsung LCD.
    Quote Quote  
  20. It appears you've discovered the TV itself malfunctioning is the cause of your problem. But just to add a point of reference, its been my personal experience with several Samsung TVs (and multiple cable box remotes) that they do not "read" the power on/off signal correctly from cable remotes. Every other button works OK, but not the "TV Power" or "Power On All" buttons. Power on/off via cable remote is erratic: works maybe 1 out of 4 times. I find the older Samsung LED models react erratically even to their own front panel power buttons. It doesn't help that the power indicator on the screen edge lights up when the TV is off but goes black when the TV is on- Samsung made some confusing choices with their power circuits.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

People complain that LCD TVs don't have the lifespan of CTR TVs, but CRT TVs didn't all last for 20 years. A Panasonic CRT TV that my parents bought in 1999 was going downhill by the time they got the Samsung LCD.
    those CRT prices were like one order of magnitude smaller. considering i have the tv on 10 hours a day, 8 years is a lot of hours.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    It appears you've discovered the TV itself malfunctioning is the cause of your problem. But just to add a point of reference, its been my personal experience with several Samsung TVs (and multiple cable box remotes) that they do not "read" the power on/off signal correctly from cable remotes. Every other button works OK, but not the "TV Power" or "Power On All" buttons. Power on/off via cable remote is erratic: works maybe 1 out of 4 times. I find the older Samsung LED models react erratically even to their own front panel power buttons. It doesn't help that the power indicator on the screen edge lights up when the TV is off but goes black when the TV is on- Samsung made some confusing choices with their power circuits.
    it does look like i will try to repair a tv myself for the 1st time
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

those CRT prices were like one order of magnitude smaller. considering i have the tv on 10 hours a day, 8 years is a lot of hours.
    So what? The price of LCD TVs has come down to the point that it is not worth paying someone an equivalent amount to fix an 8-year old broken, outdated LCD TV no matter how much it cost when you bought it.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 29th Jun 2015 at 20:08. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  24. If it's something simple like a capacitor and you're good with a soldering iron, then it's worth a try.
    Anything else I don't think is worth your time fooling with. Not for an 8 year old TV. Parts will be a problem, as will be cost.

I had a 28" monitor (Hanns_G) that developed the same symptoms as your TV.
    I wasn't lucky with that one, no bad capacitors. Though I replaced a few on the power supply board anyway, hoping to fix that bastard.
    It was very probably the T-CON board from what I could gather after some research. (I think that was the terminology, not sure now).
    A replacement board off ebay was more than $100. By that time I figured even if I fixed it, what else was gonna go wrong with that crummy monitor.
    And I couldn't be certain ahead of time that $100 part (which I wouldn't be able to return) was gonna do it.

I was able to fix my 65" LG 65LW6500 when it was just out of warranty.
    It was a TAB bond failure. (Solderless connection of data cables to the panel)
    It had just started with a single line of red pixels.
    Wedging a resilient pad behind where the separation was starting (to maintain pressure) fixed it.
    That was actually more of a band-aid than a fix, but it's been fine now for going on two years.
    That one was worth my time to try to fix.

Your TV? Eh, if it's not something obvious and simple, give it up.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  25. i found 6 blown capacitors:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	capacitor.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	997.1 KB
ID:	32355

i see they are 25V, 105C, 822uF? and 4.7 something...

i couldnt find similar ones in Fry's. so i am ordering soldering kit and capacitors from ebay. it's prolly going to take a month before i can work on it.
    i hope i dont need the tool to suck the melt solder lead.

it can be an opportunity for me to quit wasting time watching tv. dang.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    i
    i hope i dont need the tool to suck the melt solder lead.
    Most likely you will need copper wick to remove excess solder,never use a solder pump to remove solder from delicate circuits as there is a good chance you will suck up the traces as well.
    Quote Quote  
  27. it's almost a month since i opened the tv up. i cannot wait any longer for the 470uF capacitors to arrive. so i use 820uF capacitors in place of the 470 ones.
    after replacing 4 capacitors, my tv is back!

total i've spent: $10 including the solder kit and the capacitors (15 total) from ebay, and quite a few hours. the cheap solder kit is not very powerful, but eventually got the job done.

now do i need an HDMI cable to get HD programs? i am only using AV.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You need a hdmi cable for hd since the regular a/v(yellow,red and white)will only give you sd output.If your hdtv is a little older and has component input and you have the red/blue/green cable you can use that for hd up to 1920x1080i,for a newer blu-rayer you will need a hdmi cable.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    You need a hdmi cable for hd since the regular a/v(yellow,red and white)will only give you sd output.If your hdtv is a little older and has component input and you have the red/blue/green cable you can use that for hd up to 1920x1080i,for a newer blu-rayer you will need a hdmi cable.
    i dont think the comcast support really knows what she is talking about.

without paying for HD programming, will i get (significantly) better quality if i use an HDMI cable? (i dont have an RGB cable.)
    (my comcast comes with some HBO channels. she said HD programming costs $10 over regular HBO.)
    Quote Quote  
  30. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Most cable/tv companies will give you hd in your normal service plan,if they don't then they are ripping you off.You will get a little better quality using hdmi for sd if that's all you will get.

As to hbo they should give it to you at the same price for hd,sounds like they are cheap.
    Quote Quote