VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, have this model of firewire card. PE-101
    It comes with extra 4 pin (fdd) energy suply and it is culprit of my problem. I need this molex for different things. So is it safe to remove this extra power suply from firewire card when I'm 100% sure, that only usage of this Firewire is capture from camera? Camera has of course its own power suply.
    I think it is safe, but need to be sure for 100%.
    Edit: it is in PCIe 3.0x1 slot. but it is mentioned in link i suppose

Thank you in advance.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 12th Jul 2018 at 08:39. Reason: Edit
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can be please moved rather to capturing thread?

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  3. If your camera has separate power then it is fine - 4 pin FW interface is unable to provide power to external device.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    maybe there are splitter cables available?

AFAIK this 4 pin connector gives extra power to the extension board to eliminate too much power drain from pcie bus.

But l agree with pandy that if your camera has it's own power supply it will be alright
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. Thank you Pandy and Jan5678
    As usual I was unclear. I have FW with two 6pin outputs. And FW has suply from PCIe and from floppy disk suply (4pin) <- and I want remove this.
    It can be confusing, that i talked about 4pin fdd at 6pin output FW. But I got it. It is safe to remove it.
    But I'm sure you get it right, when question was probably shroud in fog.

Thank you very much!!!
    So I will remove it without any consequence. But find out it is working lately, all cassettes are already captured.

See you and have a nice day!

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 12th Jul 2018 at 09:54. Reason: credit to Jan5678 as well
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well, not sure why you wish to remove Molex fdd power like connector from your card but for sure 4 pin FW doesn't provide anything above data - to provide power to external FW devices a 6 pin FW interface must be used.

Glad to read that everything work OK for You, thx and have a nice day too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In short, and to close this thread. I buy bit expensive PSU from corsair 80+ gold that has two conectors to power supply GPU. But provide just one cable 6+2 pin. (can coast 5 cents) the price for PSU was about 100+ dollars. And now I need reduction molex - 8pin or 6pin it takes two molex conectors and I have only 4 in total. Also I need more fans another molex reduction. So have to find someone somewhere. And this feeding firewire seems to me be best. It should go smoothly without it. That is end of story.
    Thanks for help all.
    Can be closed.
    Solved.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    In short, and to close this thread. I buy bit expensive PSU from corsair 80+ gold that has two conectors to power supply GPU. But provide just one cable 6+2 pin. (can coast 5 cents) the price for PSU was about 100+ dollars. And now I need reduction molex - 8pin or 6pin it takes two molex conectors and I have only 4 in total. Also I need more fans another molex reduction. So have to find someone somewhere. And this feeding firewire seems to me be best. It should go smoothly without it. That is end of story.
    Thanks for help all.
    Can be closed.
    Solved.
    This Molex may be current limited (do not forget about limited capabilities for PCB traces), i would go for splitter and i would avoid to use for anything serious (power) this PCB Molex. Power splitter on auction portal (Aukro or similar) that you can pickup personally should be not so expensive. For multiple fans i would go also for fan controller.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    already solved. But don't understand PCB traces. It is ordinary molex, ocupied with reduction to flopy disk drive. It is used to feed FW with additional electicity. So I think it is ordinary molex as any other molex.
    It is like here https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/350852253454-0-1/s-l1000.jpg
    According to virustotal it is clear, but do not inserted it as active link. It made itselfs.

Thank you again.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 12th Jul 2018 at 13:13.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Ok, my point was that this Molex connector mounted on FireWire card is powered trough motherboard traces and PCI socket then card PCB traces itself - as such if you start sinking too much current there is risk that something may be corrupted. So if your intention is to powering not demanding sink then everything is fine. Not sure also if there 12 or 5V on this connector - nominally it can be 12V but 5V not necessarily. Hope now it is clear.
    Quote Quote