VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, does anyone know why the version of Lossless Cut I have doesn't seem to trim correctly?. A number of times I've tried to trim, which is only a few very short seconds (no more than 2-3 seconds) using the One Step Forward or Backward button, then I click on "Click Segment at Cursor" but the final outputted exported file just results in the same with no or hardly anything trimmed. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. When I trim anything using Premiere Pro using the same method, it trims it to exactly as I want it, but it appears Lossless Cut doesn't.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    You didn't get how Lossless Cut works and what it exactly does at all.

Lossless Cut trims a video WITHOUT re-encoding it, so it can't be frame precise (as is Premiere).
    It can cut the footage ONLY from a keyframe to another keyframe.. and when the frame you select is not, it approximate to the nearest one (before the selected one, for the starting frame, and after, for the ending frame)

The problem with your footage is certainly that it's too short and there are no in-between keyframes from the starting to the ending frame of the clip.. so Lossless Cut sinply copies the whole footage as it is.
    Last edited by krykmoon; 9th Sep 2022 at 11:03.
    Quote Quote  
  3. you could try smart cut in LosslessCut. Only works for certain media though
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the reply. Yeah looks like that's probably the reason because it doesn't reencode the files. Kinda annoying if you're trying to make really precise cuts where there a very small frames in between shots that you want to get rid of, alot of the home videos I have that were transferred from Hi8 show a few secs of frames from a previous recording that were taped over once the Hi8 footage had been transferred to a VHS tape, I think this was because of the timing between recording where it often produced a gap between rec and stop, unlike modern digital cameras where one recording starts immediately after the next. Of course other editing programmes will be able to edit these out, but they have to re-encode the files, which takes time.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by mrbass View Post
    you could try smart cut in LosslessCut. Only works for certain media though
    Thanks for the advice, will give that a go
    Quote Quote