VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Have a DV file 18 - 19 mins, that's 3.94 gigs that I'm trying to convert to mp4 to upload online. With Super set to convert it to .mp4 H.264 video about 2000 kbps and audio stereo 256 kbps the file is only being reduced to 2.79 gigs. Does this sound right?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    SUPER is for converting oddball, bastard formats to something more usable....that's what it does best.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Something's not right with this install of Super. Just out of curiosity I set the video output to 85 kbps and it's still creating a huge file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just do NOT use Super.

I think handbrake will sort this out.

You large file size could well be the codec inside the mp4 container. Someone with more experience of creating mp4 could correct me on this but I think using AVC you should get some 230 mb for your video. Slightly smaller than you have right now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I unchecked "Stretch It" and "Top Quality", unchecking one of those seems to have brought the file size to the more expected realm.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    brassplyer - Don't bother posting questions again if you're just going to ignore all the advice you get. We've all got better things to do than waste our time on yet another jerk who says he wants help but really doesn't want to listen to anybody.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by brassplyer View Post
    Have a DV file 18 - 19 mins, that's 3.94 gigs that I'm trying to convert to mp4 to upload online. With Super set to convert it to .mp4 H.264 video about 2000 kbps and audio stereo 256 kbps the file is only being reduced to 2.79 gigs. Does this sound right?
    2000 kbps + 256 kbps = 2256 kbps
    60 * 2256 kbps = 135.360 mb per minute
    19 * 135.360 = 2.571840 gb for 19 minutes

Including overhead it looks like 2.79 gb is about the expected target size.

-drjtech
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by drjtech View Post
    60 * 2256 kbps = 135.360 mb per minute

60 sec * 2256 kbps = 135,360 kbit per minute = 16,920 kbyte per minute = 16.5 MB per minute.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by brassplyer View Post
    [From DV] to .mp4 H.264 video about 2000 kbps
    2000 seems a bit much. H.264 at 720x480 and 29.97 fps could do with about 1213 kbps.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    brassplyer - Don't bother posting questions again if you're just going to ignore all the advice you get. We've all got better things to do than waste our time on yet another jerk who says he wants help but really doesn't want to listen to anybody.
    Having fun being bipolar jackass netkop of the day?

I listen to people, just not you.

To all those who give useful answers I appreciate it. An issue like this is a work in progress, new info likely to emerge as the person asking the question delves into the issue further. I also keep in mind that others may encounter the issue and might benefit from new info.
    Last edited by brassplyer; 3rd May 2011 at 15:39.
    Quote Quote