VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I have a Sony MiniDV camcorder that slacks and wrinkles the tape whenever it is rewinding. I tried cleaning the pinch roller, nothing changed. I tried replacing the pinch roller, nothing changed. I've rewound a tape while the unit was open and it seems that the tape is moving abnormally around the pinch roller and "exit" slot of the cassette (the "entrance" side during playback). By abnormally I mean up and down. This does not occur during fast-forwarding or normal playback. It's happened a few times in the past but now seems to be happening regardless of what brand of tape is used.

What else can cause this? I did have to adjust the tensioner a bit but I would think that would cause issues during playback as well. Help?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Does the feed reel move at a constant speed in rewind?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Does the feed reel move at a constant speed in rewind?
    It seems to - I can take a closer look later. Actually, sometimes the playback supply reel (acting like the take up reel during rewinding) locks up when a damaged section of tape is run through.

Actually, a few more things to note: It only seems to do it if the deck is oriented the way it would be in a VCR, although when it's oriented as if the camera is upright, I do hear some slight speed changes during rewinding. Actually, sometimes, when I play a tape backwards slowly (-×1 or slow), I get a C:31:23 (supply reel fault) error. Is it possible that the supply reel table is cracked (and not running correctly)? Could that cause issues similar to low tension?
    Last edited by MiniDVLover; 30th Nov 2018 at 06:45.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Sounds like not enough torque to the supply reel in rewind. Could be bad contact with the idler or a bad clutch. Or a weak power train to the capstan motor.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, I've taken a closer look, and it's slacking even in normal playback, just not as severely. I played with the TG6 alignment - no avail. The creasing is occurring between the capstan/pinch roller and TG6/TG5.

Could THIS be tension-related? Why doesn't it happen during fast-forwarding?
    Last edited by MiniDVLover; 30th Nov 2018 at 11:44.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Could be worn out or misadjusted brake on the supply reel.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could be worn out or misadjusted brake on the supply reel.
    Probably misadjusted given the history of the unit. But why would that affect rewinding? The supply reel brake isn't active during rewining.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    There may be separate causes of your problems.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There may be separate causes of your problems.
    Boy oh boy. Well, there is a vintage stereo store I can take the thing to tomorrow - they have a repair department and they do service tape decks.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    It's a complicated mechanism and everything wears at once — so tends to break down at the same time. It wouldn't surprise me if brakes were goofed on both reels and there is a problem with idler contact as well. All common stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's a complicated mechanism and everything wears at once — so tends to break down at the same time. It wouldn't surprise me if brakes were goofed on both reels and there is a problem with idler contact as well. All common stuff.
    There's no brake on the takeup side. The takeup reel is not original though - could that have something to do with it? The original one was cracked.

I really wish this thing would work - it's my favorite camcorder!
    Quote Quote