VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Alright, I'm not entirely sure what I did wrong (I edit videos, setting up codecs isn't exactly my forte). I got a new i7 computer and for whatever reason, after I installed the K Lite codec pack, all of my 60p videos on my external drive play back at half speed in Windows Media Player (VLC has never had luck with these videos, it always skips around even with the turbo function activated on this processor and my other computer with a slightly newer i5 processor). 30p playback works fine, it's just 60p playback that seems to have an issue. I was wondering what (if anything) I can do in the codec tweak tool to get playback to work properly. It might just be the h.264 video I'm trying to play back, but I would think that an i7 processor would be more than sufficient at a reasonable bitrate for this kind of thing. I dunno, any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
    bakonfreek

P.S.
    specifics that may or may not be relevant

CPU: Intel core i7 Q720 (turbo enabled, running at 2.8 GHz)
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 (1333 MHz I think)
    GPU: NVIDIA Quadro FX 880M (1GB dedicated video memory)

P.P.S.
    The external drive spins at 7200 RPM and it's connected via eSATA (because USB 3.0 isn't available on this machine).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well the consenus around here is the first thing you did wrong was to install a codec pack. Does not matter which one since they all can create problems.

Did the 60p vids work before ?. Better to work with lav filters or ffdshow or even just the codec(s) you need and forget about codec packs.

Try the above. If you still have issues, can you upload a sample vid ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It did work earlier, but I could also only play AVI files earlier.

I went in and switched everything to ffdshow (or at least everything that I could) and it worked. It was set to use LAV earlier (funny, I would think that would work). Either way, I'm happy now. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Fine.

I would still uninstall that codec pack and just install ffdshow (unless that is what you have done)
    Quote Quote  
  5. There was a bug in LAV Filters a while ago for interlaced content that could in certain situations cause this problem. That issue has been fixed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Always choose FFDSHOW over LAV. Always.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bad idea to install this buggy stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Even the former ffdshow developers recommend using LAV Filters.
    Quote Quote