VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had a Hauppauge HD-PVR and it works well with Component video, but it is unable to record any old school consoles (I.E. N64, Genesis, SNES etc.).

I tried EasyCap because I have heard it is good despite how cheap it was. It wasn't. The video was fuzzy and worse the audio quality was downright abysmal and it lagged.

I don't know who to turn anymore, I am trying to find some kind of a website that shows a capture card comparison but to no avail, so I came here. I heard Roxio was good, but I need more feedback.

Thank you for the help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BladeBlur View Post
    I had a Hauppauge HD-PVR and it works well with Component video, but it is unable to record any old school consoles (I.E. N64, Genesis, SNES etc.).

I tried EasyCap because I have heard it is good despite how cheap it was. It wasn't. The video was fuzzy and worse the audio quality was downright abysmal and it lagged.

I don't know who to turn anymore, I am trying to find some kind of a website that shows a capture card comparison but to no avail, so I came here. I heard Roxio was good, but I need more feedback.

Thank you for the help!
    For Old consoles, any card (USB or PCI or PCI-e) using chipset Phillips SA713XX will work very good.

No ROXIO. Its a TIMEBOMB. Believe me.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Cauptain, but I gotta ask, is it a USB one? Cause I use a laptop. Also how do I go about and look for one that has the chipset? I guess EasyCap doesn't have it?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What kind of connections do those old games have? If it's composite video then I think your HD-PVR can record composite video - the catch is that you'll need to look at the documentation because you have to use only one of the component video inputs to do this. I have the Colossus and it's in the same family of products and it can record composite video that way.

If those old games use old style coax connectors then you'll need to get an adapter that can convert coax to composite. I think such devices are called "RF adapaters" if I remember correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    What kind of connections do those old games have? If it's composite video then I think your HD-PVR can record composite video - the catch is that you'll need to look at the documentation because you have to use only one of the component video inputs to do this. I have the Colossus and it's in the same family of products and it can record composite video that way.

If those old games use old style coax connectors then you'll need to get an adapter that can convert coax to composite. I think such devices are called "RF adapaters" if I remember correctly.

It can't, whenever I try to record it skips and I get "no signal" message occasionally on screen, it does not work very well. I called Hauppauge and they said because of the interlacing thing the PVR has, it doesn't perform well with older consoles.

And I use regular cables, both composite and S-Video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Cauptain, but I gotta ask, is it a USB one? Cause I use a laptop. Also how do I go about and look for one that has the chipset? I guess EasyCap doesn't have it?
    Try a Dazzle DVD Record

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post

I don't remember the particulars, but older game consoles supposedly produced a slightly off-spec video signal that is difficult to capture, although an old analog CRT TV would display a perfect picture. I think modern LCD TVs have trouble with the signal too.

The composite to coax adapters are called RF modulators.

[Edit]I left this out somehow... To go from channel 3 on coax to composite requires a RF tuner/demodulator. A VCR or DVD recorder with an analog tuner would also work in a pinch.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 7th Aug 2012 at 23:00.
    Quote Quote