VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I have an old laptop and since I'm currently travelling I had to abandon the comfort of my desktop pc and take this old chap with me. Before hitting the road I took some movies and TV shows with me to watch during my free time. Little did I know that the laptop wouldn't be able to play the h265 videos.

The interesting part is I have some 1080p movies and they work just fine, no lag at all. So I'm guessing the problem doesn't have to do with the power of the laptop. I only can't play the h265 videos, no matter what I do. I'm using MPC with K-Lite Mega Codec Pack. I tried VLC, KM, MPC-BE. None of them worked, they lag all the same. I ticked HEVC in Internal Filters in MPC. I changed hardware acceleration to DXVA2 (native) in the LAV Video Decoder settings and ticked HEVC. I tried everything that I know of.

Am I doing something wrong or is it impossible to view h265 videos on Windows XP? Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt whether this old laptop has any HW acceleration for HEVC.

See this article for some general info as well as details about supporting hardware.
    http://www.techspot.com/article/1131-hevc-h256-enconding-playback/

Your laptop is probably @ close to 100% cpu when trying to play these video - no wonder it lags.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I doubt whether this old laptop has any HW acceleration for HEVC.

See this article for some general info as well as details about supporting hardware.
    http://www.techspot.com/article/1131-hevc-h256-enconding-playback/

Your laptop is probably @ close to 100% cpu when trying to play these video - no wonder it lags.
    Is there any way I can check if it has HW acceleration?

You're right, it does take up 100% cpu when playing h265. But it takes up 100% when playing 1080p h264 as well. However in this case the video doesn't lag. Only in h265.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Take a look at the hardware in the above article, they're all recent within a year or year and a half.

If your laptop is older the hardware will not support this technology
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Take a look at the hardware in the above article, they're all recent within a year or year and a half.

If your laptop is older the hardware will not support this technology
    I've just checked the link and my laptop is expectedly nowhere near the specified hardware, I believe this machine is over 10 years old.

What confused me is the laptop can easily play 1080p AVC and h264 videos but not 720p h265 videos. Would I be correct in saying that a 720p h265 video is harder for a computer to play than a 1080p h264 video? Is that why I'm having this issue? There isn't any special codec I can install or a special video player that would help me view h265 videos smoothly?
    Quote Quote  
  6. As far as know to decode h.265 you need more power than to decode h.264 (comparing for example the same bit rate). If your CPU goes up to 100% with h.264/AVC, it will need even more with h.265/HEVC, but it has nowhere to get it from .

One thing you can try is to install/register Strongene/Lentoid h.265/HEVC decoder from http://xhevc.com/en/downloads/downloadCenter.jsp, turn off internal HEVC decoder in MPC-HC and add Lentoid HEVC decoder as preferred in External filters.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by AllisOne View Post
    As far as know to decode h.265 you need more power than to decode h.264 (comparing for example the same bit rate). If your CPU goes up to 100% with h.264/AVC, it will need even more with h.265/HEVC, but it has nowhere to get it from .

One thing you can try is to install/register Strongene/Lentoid h.265/HEVC decoder from http://xhevc.com/en/downloads/downloadCenter.jsp, turn off internal HEVC decoder in MPC-HC and add Lentoid HEVC decoder as preferred in External filters.
    It actually worked. Thank you so much.
    Quote Quote