VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hey all,

I'm using an NTSC Canon ZR 200 to capture/record the A/V out from an NTSC console and my setup is as follows:

Both the ZR 200 and the console are connected to a multi-system TV using RCA phono to SCART adapters that are plugged into a SCART splitter. With everything connected and turned on, I either record the gaming session to tape or capture it directly into my Mac using the A/V pass-through option on the ZR 200. This method works but the results are problematic as you can see from the excessive brightness in the following images.

I suspected that there might be an issue with the signal route, so I tried connecting the console directly to the camcorder with a triple RCA female adapter.

This led to a drastic improvement:

Seeing as this worked, I tried to split the signal from the RCA adapter and send it to the TV and camcorder separately:

Unfortunately this didn't work because the excessive brightness returned to captures and recordings.

I'm completely stumped and would really appreciate some information and advice from those who are more knowledgeable. What's causing this drastic boost in gamma when the camcorder is connected to the SCART splitter or my makeshift attempt at an RCA one that's taking the signal directly from the console? Is there any way that this can be eliminated or is the camcorder not up to this task? As it stands, I can't really have a gaming session with the console connected straight to the camcorder because there's no means to involve the TV. I've tried using the Mac as a monitor via the A/V pass-through route with FireWire but there's a noticeable lag in the display.

Thanks as always for whatever help and pointers you can offer.
    Quote Quote  
  2. There are two (at least) possibilities, first incorrect settings on capture device (brightness is set too high) and/or DC bias at source and DC coupled ADC in your capture device. Black level is highly elevated - this is obvious to me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You cannot use a passive splitter with this setup, as its impedance is getting messed with. You need an active splitter, aka Distribution Amplifier (DA).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    You cannot use a passive splitter with this setup, as its impedance is getting messed with.
    Ah ha! So, that's the cause of the brightness issue?

You need an active splitter, aka Distribution Amplifier (DA).

Scott
    Ok and that would provide separate signals for each device: one for the TV, another for the camcorder etc?

Are there any that you would recommend please and would I need one that's NTSC specific? You'll have to excuse my ignorance in the field because I'm not that familiar with DA's.

Thanks so much!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
    You cannot use a passive splitter with this setup, as its impedance is getting messed with.
    Ah ha! So, that's the cause of the brightness issue?

You need an active splitter, aka Distribution Amplifier (DA).

Scott
    Ok and that would provide separate signals for each device: one for the TV, another for the camcorder etc?

Are there any that you would recommend please and would I need one that's NTSC specific? You'll have to excuse my ignorance in the field because I'm not that familiar with DA's.

Thanks so much!
    I don't think it makes a difference whether the analog video to be amplified and split is NTSC or PAL. At least I have never seen a distribution amplifier with RCA/phono connections for analog composite video and analog stereo audio that was labeled as being specifically for either video system. A few years ago, this type of distribution amplifier was not hard to find but the selection is more limited now. Most of them are discontinued by the manufacturer.

You might look on eBay. This is one example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333166909948?epid=1826503066&hash=item4d924b99fc:g:03EAAOSwx6pYsI7A
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I don't think it makes a difference whether the analog video to be amplified and split is NTSC or PAL. At least I have never seen a distribution amplifier with RCA/phono connections for analog composite video and analog stereo audio that was labeled as being specifically for either video system.
    You're correct - I read through the manuals for these devices and saw no reference to TV standards, which means I can use them with PAL stuff too.

Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    A few years ago, this type of distribution amplifier was not hard to find but the selection is more limited now. Most of them are discontinued by the manufacturer.

You might look on eBay. This is one example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333166909948?epid=1826503066&hash=item4d924b99fc:g:03EAAOSwx6pYsI7A
    Thanks, I went with this one for £19.99

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384704110701

It's much cheaper and has more outputs too.

When it arrives, I'll update the thread with my progress. Cheers!
    Quote Quote