VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there,

I want to convert tv series episodes from DVD to MKV (MP4 would be fine too, I guess).
    I tried HandBrake (first time I use it) with "very slow" encoding, I got a much smaller file but it doens't look as good as the original.
    So I decided to not re-encode the video at all.
    Is MakeMKV the only free/open option to put the video into an MKV file without re-encoding?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Instant Martian View Post
    Is MakeMKV the only free/open option to put the video into an MKV file without re-encoding?
    MakeMKV is the only free DVD decrypter that I have tried that outputs video as an MKV without re-encoding although to be fair, you should pay for it if you plan to use it frequently. All the other free DVD decrypters that I know about that don't reencode output the complete DVD structure (files and folders).
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. I see.
    I could use PGCDemux -> MKVToolNix I think, but there's more work to do.

I checked the setup.exe file of MakeMKV on VirusTotal and I got 1 positive detection.
    Is this a false positive?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Instant Martian View Post
    I see.
    I could use PGCDemux -> mkvtoolnix-gui I think, but there's more work to do.

I checked the setup.exe file of MakeMKV on VirusTotal and I got 1 positive detection.
    Is this a false positive?
    Given that only one anti-virus flags the file as suspicious and that Baldrick is careful about checking the software downloads with links in VideoHelp's Software section, I'd consider it a false positive.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's strange this is the only program for this task.
    Well, I will give it a try.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Out of curiosity I tried the PGCDemux + MKVToolNix way and it works just fine, except for subs and chapters (MKVToolNix won't accept the demuxed files as they are).
    Quote Quote  
  7. DVDFab Passkey Lite is a free decrypter.
    It is just about 60 days behind on New Releases of movies.
    This is so customers will be encouraged to purchase the paid version.

Second DVDFab DVDCopy goes to a free limited version after the trial period.
    As long as you rip the full size there is no encoding or transcoding.

This will get you decrypted DVD compliant files.
    Then you just need to convert to a .MKV without encoding.
    I'm not sure what converter to recommend for this.

What is the PGCDemux + MKVToolNix way ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cholla View Post
    What is the PGCDemux + MKVToolNix way ?
    1. Use DVD decryption software that outputs files and folders or maybe something like DVD Passkey that will allow reading the DVD files directly.
    2. Use PGCDemux to demux a DVD/VOB,IFO (PGC) to its elementary streams, MPEG-2 video (M2V), audio (AC3, WAV, DTS, or MPA), and subpicture subtitles (SUP).
    3. Use MKVToolnix to re-mux the elementary streams into an MKV file.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Aug 2022 at 11:37. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  9. @cholla
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using MakeMKV for years, downloaded original from this site and updated it as they came through - after 12 months I bought a license. Never had any problems with virus checkers. I have the premium paid version of Malwarebytes, it finds all of them. I have transferred all my DVD's, BD and UHD discs to my NAS using MakeMKV. I just do the main title or all the eps of TV series. Just did the Eureka SciFi BD discs I imported from Germany (its the best version) technically. Never a problem with subs as I need them for age related hearing loss. It's simple to use.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  11. I believe I used once MakeMKV years ago, DVD to MKV it's not a thing I do frequently (I simply use the DVDs).
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote