VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    https://www.techradar.com/news/sony-just-dropped-a-free-online-video-editor-for-content-creators

anyone looked into this and tried it ?
    if so what did you find / reckon ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    You hereby grant Sony the non-exclusive, world-wide, royalty free and irrevocable right under copyright law (with the right to sublicense the same to third parties) to use for the purpose of providing the SERVICE any image, video, sound, text or other information posted or transmitted by User in connection with the SERVICE (the “Posted Content”) (such use includes reproduction, performance, distribution, public transmission, display, partial omission and other adaptations), by Sony, its affiliates or any party designated by Sony. You also agree not to exercise any moral rights of the author regarding the Posted Content. It is the User’s responsibility to confirm and warrant that the Posted Content does not infringe upon the rights of third parties and otherwise conforms the TERMS.

ARBITRATION NOTICE: YOU AGREE THAT DISPUTES BETWEEN YOU AND SONY ELECTRONICS WILL BE RESOLVED BY BINDING, INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATION AND YOU WAIVE YOUR RIGHT TO PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT OR CLASS-WIDE ARBITRATION. WE EXPLAIN SOME EXCEPTIONS AND HOW YOU CAN OPT OUT OF ARBITRATION BELOW.
    Looks like Vegas was too expensive for Sony to upkeep, I suppose the sales did not support the development, $500+ product was always discounted below $200. Sony sold it off and now wants to provice a SAAS like Adobe and a zillion of other companies. Thank you, but no.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Trying to de-cipher that first sentence of the Terms of Use as noted above in post #2. Does that mean Sony can use my videos or parts of my videos, Photos, etc. if I use that on-line software?
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ah, thanks for the quote on Terms of Service or whatever that was..

In other words, according to that it seems perhaps possible (due to lawyer speak) your hard-worked-on content which you created with your blood, sweat, tears and money, suddenly becomes Sony's to do whatever they want with for free and in perpetuity and you waive your rights - just by agreeing to using Sony's software on your precious content ?

edit: it does say "for the purpose of providing the SERVICE" (but who really knows, it's lawyer talk) but then goes on to say "not to exercise any moral rights" without that constraint and then limits your rights in regard to other things. So who knows.

It does not have a good look nor feel. I still remember Sony installing rootkits on people's PCs to control what one could and could not do with their own equipment ... and have not forgiven them for that behaviour.

There is absolutely zero chance I will be using their software, and would consider strongly suggesting against using it.
    Last edited by hydra3333; 23rd Feb 2023 at 23:19.
    Quote Quote