VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have video captured in h624 format from an 8 channel camera system from my store.
    I saved the video to a portable drive but didnt separate the channels.
    so all 8 channels are on one file. I have software that allows me to view the individual channels but no way to capture them.
    something legal has come up.
    I need software (preferably free) that will allow me to capture a single channel from one of the 8 in each file and
    I need need to save that file.

If possible, I would like to be able to also edit the file (to make the segments into a movie)
    and convert to avi format.
    thank you
    Douggie
    Quote Quote  
  2. Everything depends on the details about the security camera system. Does it actually store all eight cameras as separate files? If not, then you simply need to put the eight-channel "Brady Bunch" video into an NLE and cut out the portion you need.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since it's a legal issue, pass on the original file and the viewing software to whomever needs it. Any editing or conversion of the file will be questioned and possibly make the video useless as evidence.
    Quote Quote  
  4. AviSynth is free and would allow separation of interleaved frames/segments. But it has a bit of a learning curve. Can you post a sample of the video?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you are talking about data multiplexing, versus old school visual multiplexing (aka bradybunch/h'wood squares) or time multiplexing (aka channel sampling/scanning), then you should be able to use a demuxer to extract your desired camera view(s). Ffmpeg can do this for free, and there are plenty of other cheap/free options. The old school variety are varying degrees harder - still doable, but not without some quality loss.

I do agree, however, that you should submit an "untouched" copy of your source footage to the legal authorities (or conversely, get a safety untouched copy for yourself prior to giving them the original), for proper chain-of-evidence procedure.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To add to what the others are saying, And this is critical in a legal matter, ideally you don't want to "capture" the video, but extract (rip) the raw video/audio. Capture in video means you no longer have an exact bit for bit copy of the original video.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks guys.....I plan to keep the full 8 channel video on the USB drive. You guy have no idea how much this has messed me up.
    It has cost me around 100k....
    Couldn't find the USB drive for court.
    It was in one of my 6 gigantic storage units.
    Now that I found it I'm going to counter Sue.
    I'll try to upload the video it's in h264 format right now
    Quote Quote