VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What type of white ink do disc manufacturers use to coat inkjet printable discs and what companies supply the type of ink?

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Here is a patent which may give you a start. Otherwise, I'd contact an optical disc manufacturer directly and ask them.

https://google.com/patents/US7056960
    Quote Quote  
  3. Smells like gamemaniaco.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Here is a patent which may give you a start. Otherwise, I'd contact an optical disc manufacturer directly and ask them.

https://google.com/patents/US7056960

Thanks for the link,
    Before posting this earlier I found information about a company called SunChemical that makes an "Ink jet receptive ink" as part of their CDR ink series so I may follow up a line of inquiry with them.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Googled "inkjet print over painted surface" and came across this...
    http://www.justpaint.org/paint-pixels/

...both clear and white precoats are available from inkAID™ in a brush-on form [also film] to allow an
    artist the ability to coat their favorite art paper or create unique surfaces for inkjet printing.
    and this:
    https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/surface-prep-for-inkjet-printing.50916/
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Smells like gamemaniaco.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Smells like gamemaniaco.
    Dafuq are you on about?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kojo100 View Post
    Smells like gamemaniaco.
    Dafuq are you on about?
    You remind him of another member who obsessively and repeatedly asks questions about DVD construction/materials, humidity, temperature, storage containers and other factors that affect the longevity of optical media. This member has been banned more than once but has come back with a new identity each time.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yes, the subject matter and phrasing was reminiscent of gamemaniaco
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Smells like gamemaniaco.
    Dafuq are you on about?
    You remind him of another member who obsessively and repeatedly asks questions about DVD construction/materials, humidity, temperature, storage containers and other factors that affect the longevity of optical media. This member has been banned more than once but has come back with a new identity each time.
    I see..

Well I wasn't inquiring about this out of interest in the longevity of optical media, I just happen to have many blank optical discs with no printable surface so I want to screen print 'UV inkjet receptive ink' to them so I can print on them with a standard inkjet printer. Hence why I wanted to know what type of ink professional disc manufacturing companies use.

I can't outsource the screen printing job because the information on the discs is too valuable so I intend to do it internally within my own company.

Thank you for clarifying what that odd user's remark meant.
    Last edited by Kojo100; 12th Nov 2017 at 18:10.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Pretty sure the white base of inkjettable discs is a trade secret or patented, so very unlikely (as in never) gonna find a way to do that on your own. And the kind of material is important as I have seen knockoff brands that don't hold the ink and smear even after days of drying/curing.
    If your own discs are precious, get a batch of blank white inkjet printables (around $0.25/disc if you get a cakebox of good quality ones) and make copies onto them. Then print away.

And the "odd user" is one of our most regular, informative, and valued members. Smooth move.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Pretty sure the white base of inkjettable discs is a trade secret or patented, so very unlikely (as in never) gonna find a way to do that on your own. And the kind of material is important as I have seen knockoff brands that don't hold the ink and smear even after days of drying/curing.
    If your own discs are precious, get a batch of blank white inkjet printables (around $0.25/disc if you get a cakebox of good quality ones) and make copies onto them. Then print away.

If its a trade secret then it's unusual that companies who supply the ink are willing to tell me all about it as well the processes required to apply it successfully.
    Thankfully I happen to have the financial resources in order to hire trained professionals who could actually do this for me in the event that it doesn't work out trying to do it on my own. "If your own discs are precious, get a batch of blank white inkjet printables" Unfortunately I can't do that because these discs are ROM and the information on the discs was pressed to them during the replication process so they're not like the CD-R or DVD-R discs that you can pick-up in some electronics shop or wherever.

And the "odd user" is one of our most regular, informative, and valued members. Smooth move.
    Personally I think it's odd to assume a new user is someone else when they've asked a direct question and showed no signs of trolling whatsoever.

Informative aye? Suggesting new users sound like banned users is "very valuable" information indeed... to moderators maybe, But it was irrelevant to my topic and if anything it would have been wise if "jagabo" actually thought I was that banned user to just report it instead of posting irrelevant information.
    Last edited by Kojo100; 13th Nov 2017 at 06:45.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If its a trade secret then it's unusual that companies who supply the ink are willing to tell me all about it as well the processes required to apply it successfully.
    Major producers like Verbatim may well consider their process/inks a trade secret as they have competitors trying to duplicate their product.

...but it would seem to me that you already have everything required to meet your need -- a suitable product for those who aren't making tens of thousands of discs per day in a large factory, a source for that product, and instructions for applying the product.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Smells like gamemaniaco.
    Dafuq are you on about?
    Just for FYI....I'm going to go on the assumption that this is gamemaniaco.....Bye.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Smells like gamemaniaco.
    Dafuq are you on about?
    Just for FYI....I'm going to go on the assumption that this is gamemaniaco.....Bye.

Thanks heckler-54
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Major producers like Verbatim may well consider their process/inks a trade secret as they have competitors trying to duplicate their product.

...but it would seem to me that you already have everything required to meet your need -- a suitable product for those who aren't making tens of thousands of discs per day in a large factory, a source for that product, and instructions for applying the product.

Exactly, I have researched this elsewhere and found all the information I need so this case is closed.

Thanks for those who attempted to contribute something useful and no thanks to everyone else.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Exactly, I have researched this elsewhere and found all the information I need so this case is closed.
    Even if you found a solution on your own, please consider sharing that solution in case someone stumbles across this thread in the future while looking for the same sort of product.

P.S. Both Cornucopia/Scott and jagabo actually are informative, helpful and valued members with extensive knowledge in quite a few areas. Had you asked a question related to one of those areas you would not need to take my word on that. Also, to be honest, when I saw the title of this thread, my first thought was: "Oh no! I hope gamemaniaco is not back again."
    Quote Quote