VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I recently found out from a different article, that MP4 files can also only use 2 channel audio.

So if I wanted to convert an MKV file while sill retaining the 5.1 channel DTS audio in it, so that it plays properly through my PS3, I would have to convert the file to a VOB type first.

Now my only question is, after I convert MKV file to a VOB file, is it possible to put that VOB file on an external HDD, (AND here's the catch)... play the file on my PS3, while having the PS3 transmit the 5.1 channel DTS audio through its HDMI cable to my Sony AV receiver? Such that the A.F.D. (Auto Format Decode) feature of the receiver itself, automatically recognizes the audio as being 5.1 channel DTS audio?? That way it automatically sends voices to the center speaker; music to the left/right speakers; bass to the subwoofer; etc...

I appreciate any help on the subject, and thank all who respond in advance.

Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes it can play dts in digital files.

You're concern will be file size however. The ps3 will not be able to read ntfs harddrives. That leaves fat32 and the 4gb file size limit.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Yoda, thats exactly what I needed to know!!!

And since I have all the MKV files split into 4GB portions already... i'm assuming a program such as mkv2vob will do the conversions for me quite easily?

Now I just wonder about output quality... hopefully its good :/
    Last edited by Spdngblt56; 9th May 2010 at 02:06.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think it should for that specific purpose. The quality will depend on whether or not you reencode it all. if you leave it as it is it will be the same quality as the mkv. Though I think I've only used mkv2vob once or twice so i don't remember how it works specifically.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay I have one last question then, hopefully you (or anyone) can help me out with this as well...

The DTS audio in my MKV file is a 6 channel type, but my receiver is only a 5.1 channel receiver.

So does this mean I will have to convert the audio as well, and turn it into a 5.1 channel audio type, instead of a 6 channel type?

Or when I play it, will it automatically filter out as 5.1 channel surround sound??

Again, thanks in advance to anyone who can give me a response to this!!!
    Last edited by Spdngblt56; 9th May 2010 at 02:03.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In the meantime I'm going to go ahead and give mkv2vob a try
    Last edited by Spdngblt56; 9th May 2010 at 02:05.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by spdngbit56
    The DTS audio in my MKV file is a 6 channel type, but my receiver is only a 5.1 channel receiver.
    I believe that should actually be 5.1. That would be 6 channels total (5+1=6). In other words front left, front right, center, rear right, rear left, subwoofer. That totals 6.

There is a CHANCE it refers to 6.1 audio which actually contains discrete info for a rear center channel. In that case it will actually read perfectly normal on the 5.1 setup. That is what my system does for 6.1 dvds (like Lord of the Rings).

edit - use gspot or avicodec to open the file. It has an audio section that will tell you the full details of the audio itself and what type it is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay thanks for all the help yoda! I'm going to download gspot and find out for sure. I think your right though about the 6 just being 5 + 1 speakers.

I doubt it is 6.1 channel audio like Lord of the Rings... but like you said it won't matter anyways because the receiver will just read it as 5.1 anyways.

Much appreciated!!
    Quote Quote