VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I have a bunch of 699 mb divx avi files of movies on my computer and I was wondering....how I can get them onto a single 700mb cd-r as a vcd? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

check the guides for "divx to vcd". You'll find a ton of tips and tricks.

TMPGENC is a great tool for it. It has a 30 day trial for mpeg2 output but you can use it to make as many vcds as you want forever

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by xobituaryx
    Hi, I have a bunch of 699 mb divx avi files of movies on my computer and I was wondering....how I can get them onto a single 700mb cd-r as a vcd? Thanks.
    From my experience if the avi is high quality to begin with unless you are prepared to sacrifice some (read quite a lot) of quality then you wont be able to fit them on one CD

If you were going to try it you would have to go for a SVCD with a bitrate of about 800kbs which (if the original file was high quality) will result in noticable degrading of picture quality

You could try a KVCD/KSVCD and see if that helps (probably wont help to much but every little helps I suppose)

If any of the vastly more experienced [than I] members here can suggest anything then I too would also like to hear it LOL
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you have alot of .avi movies this is what I did. I went to Wal-mart and spent $70 for the Philips dvp642 and it plays everything so far. So I got another one for my daughter. Both work great so far. Saved me alot of time re-encoding and preserved the original quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by boing
    If you were going to try it you would have to go for a SVCD with a bitrate of about 800kbs which (if the original file was high quality) will result in noticable degrading of picture quality.

If any of the vastly more experienced [than I] members here can suggest anything then I too would also like to hear it LOL
    XVCD using the guide I linked to
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    http://members.dodo.net.au/~jimmalenko/TMPGEnc1CD.htm might help.

I used that method and for some reason the file size doesn't change whatsoever. Its frustrating me, I can't figure out why its doing that. I followed the guide exactly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Stuporman
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko

I used that method and for some reason the file size doesn't change whatsoever. Its frustrating me, I can't figure out why its doing that. I followed the guide exactly.
    That's the point of that guide, my man - convert something to VCD, and make it so that it takes up the entire CD.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    Originally Posted by Stuporman
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko

That's the point of that guide, my man - convert something to VCD, and make it so that it takes up the entire CD.
    Yeah I know but it doesnt shrink at all. I tried to shrink a 1 gig file to 700mb and it still comes out 1 gig. I was just now reading that my problem might just be a bug in my version of TMPGENC (2.59). I have 2.58 also so I'm trying that right now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Make sure that on the system tab for system stream you select MPEG-1 Video-CD (non-standard).
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    Make sure that on the system tab for system stream you select MPEG-1 Video-CD (non-standard).
    Yeah I did that.
    I'm doing a test encode, I'm encoding a 200mb files to 100mb and apprently its working, I guess the problem was that version of tmpenc. I can tell its working because the percentage im at is the same as the current outputted filesize. Thanks for the help everyone.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    This is great , just encoding my problem avis from the other day
    Quote Quote