VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Will the Panasonic DMRBWT955GL 4k Bluray recorder ( http://www.harveynorman.com.au/tv-blu-ray-home-theatre/blu-ray-dvd-recorders/blu-ray-p...-hd-tuner.html ) require an HD Fury Integral to record 4k shows from HBO, etc in the future. I will want to record the shows onto 100gb blu ray discs ( https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1101544&gclid=Cj0KEQjw88q9BRDB...=REG&A=details )
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ezcapper View Post
    Will the Panasonic DMRBWT955GL 4k Bluray recorder ( http://www.harveynorman.com.au/tv-blu-ray-home-theatre/blu-ray-dvd-recorders/blu-ray-p...-hd-tuner.html ) require an HD Fury Integral to record 4k shows from HBO, etc in the future. I will want to record the shows onto 100gb blu ray discs ( https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1101544&gclid=Cj0KEQjw88q9BRDB...=REG&A=details )
    HDFury should ask you to return the money they are paying you to shill for them.

The Panasonic DMRBWT955GL only records the output of a set-top box from composite video and stereo audio connections, plus free OTA TV in HD or SD (from its 3 DVB-T tuners), so exactly how would anyone use it to record 4K via streaming, cable or satellite? ...and it cannot record OTA TV in N. America.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 16th Aug 2016 at 11:02.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Will the Panasonic DMRBWT955GL 4k Bluray recorder ( http://www.harveynorman.com.au/tv-blu-ray-home-theatre/blu-ray-dvd-recorders/blu-ray-p...-hd-tuner.html ) require an HD Fury Integral to record 4k shows from HBO, etc in the future. I will want to record the shows onto 100gb blu ray discs ( https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1101544&gclid=Cj0KEQjw88q9BRDB...=REG&A=details )
    HDFury should ask you to return the money they are paying you to shill for them.

The Panasonic DMRBWT955GL only records the output of a set-top box from composite video and stereo audio connections, plus free OTA TV in HD (from its 3 DVB-T tuners), so exactly how would anyone use it to record 4K via streaming, cable or satellite? ... and it cannot record OTA TV N. America.
    I don't know dumba$$ that's why I asked the question on the forum

Does anyone else know how to record 4k tv programs as a computer file
    Last edited by ezcapper; 16th Aug 2016 at 10:58.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

The Panasonic DMRBWT955GL only records the output of a set-top box from composite video and stereo audio connections, plus free OTA TV in HD (from its 3 DVB-T tuners), so exactly how would anyone use it to record 4K via streaming, cable or satellite? ... and it cannot record OTA TV N. America.
    I don't know dumba$$ that's why I asked the question on the forum
    RTFM moron.
    Quote Quote  
  5. you always post on every one of my threads harassing me man. Isn't there something else you can do with your time. Let people who actually post to help answer the question and do something else with your life. What's wrong with you
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I answered your question correctly idiot. Go find somewhere else to shill. Maybe AVS forums will love you.

[Edit]
    Does anyone else know how to record 4k tv programs as a computer file
    Most "4K TV shows" are only available via paid streaming services, and asking about recording from such services is a violation of forum rules, so good luck finding anybody to answer that question here.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 16th Aug 2016 at 11:35.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @usually_quiet was telling you true. Currently, there are NO 4k settop recorders, and even if and when they arrive, they would be severely restricted by the MANDATORY drm/encryption (both as stored, and during playback transfer via HDCP 2.2).

The deck mentioned plays back 4k stored images & videos (e.g. from consumer cameras). It does not in any way record at 4k no matter what is connected to it.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    This picture is meant to do what?

It supports what I said:
    Video input only on composite (SD analog only) and RF (assuming standard ATSC receiver, sd & hd only, and subject to encryption/copy restrictions). Rest is streaming, audio, or output only.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    This picture is meant to do what?
    To support what you said.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    does this blu-ray recorder let you record from an analog video source like a dvd recorder? I gotta imagine if done right, you could have 2 hour recording mode with far less mpeg compression artifacts than the 1 hour mode of your usual dvd recorder, due to the obvious leap in storage capability of a blu-ray disc.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Knightmessenger View Post
    does this blu-ray recorder let you record from an analog video source like a dvd recorder?
    Yes. It uses MPEG-2 for video at the same bitrates you would see for the various recording modes available for a Panasonic DVD recorder.

I gotta imagine if done right, you could have 2 hour recording mode with far less mpeg compression artifacts than the 1 hour mode of your usual dvd recorder, due to the obvious leap in storage capability of a blu-ray disc.
    No. According to the manual, 5 hours 15 minutes worth of XP mode recordings fit on one 25 GB BD-R.

However, this recorder isn't made for the N. American market, and would have to be imported from overseas. It is doubtful that IRE levels would be correct for recording video distributed in H. America, and of course you would need an electrical converter to plug it in.

If you want to use a Blu-ray recorder for SD video capture in the USA, JVC produced a few US models as tools for professional videography which can still be found for sale. This is one: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1033187-REG/jvc_sr_hd1350us_blu_ray_disc_hdd_recorder.html However, they aren't very useful for recording TV. There are no tuners or HD video inputs that are compatible with a set-top-box, and IIRC no multiple event timers either.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 5th Oct 2016 at 00:36.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is XP mode on any of these blu-ray recorders any better than XP mode on a dvd recorder? Using Mpeg2 video is basically a standard from the beginning of dvd. I'd be more interested if they could store a similar amount of video with LESS compression, not more video at the same type of lossy compression.

EDIT: why is the JVC model in the B&H link so expensive? I think that's more than blu-ray players were even back in 2006 when they first came out.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is XP mode on any of these blu-ray recorders any better than XP mode on a dvd recorder? Using Mpeg2 video is basically a standard from the beginning of dvd. I'd be more interested if they could store a similar amount of video with LESS compression, not more video at the same type of lossy compression
    I doubt that any Blu-ray recorders use less compression for recording SD analog sources on Blu-ray than when recording the same sources on DVD in XP mode. It is more convenient to treat both types of media the same way for these sources.

EDIT: why is the JVC model in the B&H link so expensive? I think that's more than blu-ray players were even back in 2006 when they first came out.
    You need to ask JVC about that.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 31st Oct 2016 at 20:45.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Knightmessenger View Post
    It is priced that high because it is targeted strictly to the "pro" market. There has always been an informal embargo of sorts against selling consumer-level BD recorders in North America. Mostly because mfrs got so royally screwed trying to sell DVD/HDD recorders here: consumer interest in those was half what it was in Europe/Asia. JVC has been the sole vendor of standalone BluRay recorders in North America for some years now: all tunerless pro models, primarily intended to make BluRay distribution copies of wedding and event gigs from digital camera sources. The market for them is so small, JVC hasn't even bothered to change the basic chassis in six years: today's base model is almost exactly the same as the first one (albeit with a substantial price bump as buyer interest dwindles away). If you think the SR-HD1350 is nosebleed priced, you should see what the step-up SR-HD2700 costs: the mere addition of true "pro-grade" SDI digital connections hikes that unit to $3249. (Tascam sells a relabeled clone of the base JVC unit for $1995, which is bizarre considering Tascam was traditionally the cheaper brand.)

Will the Panasonic DMRBWT955GL 4k Bluray recorder require an HD Fury Integral to record 4k shows from HBO, etc in the future. I will want to record the shows onto 100gb blu ray discs
    To anyone who encounters this thread in future: as with all previous Panasonic BD recorders for Europe/Aus/NZ/Asia, the answer is "absolutely no HDTV recording from external sources". Their HDTV utility depends on their internal tuners: if what you want to record is not coming thru the off-air or satellite tuner circuit, you are stuck with standard def. The only external HDTV source the unit will accept is from a few HD video cameras: it detects any other type of input as invalid. FWIW, the JVC models mentioned above have no tuners at all, and the same input limitations: they can only record HDTV video from certain video cameras. True, the hideously expensive SR-HD2700 model can theoretically record nearly anything via its SDI inputs, but since no consumer cable or satellite box has SDI outputs the limitation stands.
    Last edited by orsetto; 1st Nov 2016 at 17:28.
    Quote Quote