VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My daughter just bought an older Samsung Blu Ray player, sorry no model number. She hooked it up and it works but she wants some of her movies on Usb. I was googling looking for what formats work, as I normally just use my software and choose Samsung Tv output. This looks a lot more complicated. What format mp4, avi , mkv is going to work more consistenly and do I have to go in and change every aspect like bitrate resolution fps etc, or is there a format like ipad etc that will work. I have read online that most need to be very specific when converting.

also I have a mac if special software required and what format for the Usb works best if using Mac , also used NTFS is using a windows usb

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I have two Samsung basic Blu Ray players with USB inputs.....I just rip my DVDs with MakeMKV. I stopped messing with conversion and bought a bigger portable hard drive to plug into the Samsung.
    FORGET the Samsung TV settings, that is not what you are looking for.
    Quote Quote  
  3. thanks, some of the usb are home movies and others are movies she has on usb from our older Samsung, that software should work for all them ? thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Try the files in the Blu Ray player to see if you even NEED to change anything.
    The Blu Ray player connects to the TV via the HDMI cable.....you do not use the Samsung TV's USB connection at all.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vh51505150 View Post
    thanks, some of the usb are home movies and others are movies she has on usb from our older Samsung, that software should work for all them ? thanks
    MakeMKV can only convert authored DVD and Blu-ray, both commercially produced and homemade, to MKV format. (MakeMKV simply repackages the original audio and video from the discs into a different container without changing it.) MakeMKV won't work for converting ordinary media files stored on USB or optical media to MKV format.

Blu-ray players vary quite a bit when it comes to the file types they will play. Without the model number (needed to obtain the manual) we have no way to predict what kinds of files it will play. You'll have to find out by trial and error, as already suggested.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. ok thanks, I will try and find out, she is away at school and just said she got an old Samsung blu ray and her usb won't work in it. When was living here , it worked in her Samsung tv but she has a new tv now. this is what I found last night but I don't really now and software that does this or do I have to go in and manually try and change everything
    [Attachment 47159 - Click to enlarge]
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	samsung-blu-ray-player-supported-formats.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	47158  

Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by vh51505150 View Post
    ok thanks, I will try and find out, she is away at school and just said she got an old Samsung blu ray and her usb won't work in it. When was living here , it worked in her Samsung tv but she has a new tv now. this is what I found last night but I don't really now and software that does this or do I have to go in and manually try and change everything
    [Attachment 47159 - Click to enlarge]
    If you don't know the model of the player how do you know that chart applies? Playing video files off a USB drive is NOT part of the Blu-ray spec. Doing so is at the discretion of the manufacturer. Players vary in their support. Very old players support nothing. More recent players support a wide variety of containers and codecs. AVC video (High@4.1) and AAC audio in an MP4 container is pretty common now -- largely because that's what Apple supports.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Profiles
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Levels

You can use a program like Handbrake to easily convert videos to that.
    Quote Quote  
  8. THANKS, I thought Samsung would basically play everything on all the blu rays. Will wait for the model and that's everyone for the help
    Quote Quote