VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I've just started using BD Rebuilder. So far I've only been using it to shrink & convert Mpeg2 1080i files to H264 for possible BD burning & mkv playback using media players.
    The setup guides I've read usually leave the 'de-interlacer' box checked. I believe it should not be used for my purposes. (keep it interlaced) Am I wrong? Thanks..
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    On Blu-ray, there are some frame rates which require an "interlaced" flag for FullHD 1080 resolution even if the content is in fact progressive (this was a reason why x264 supports fake-interlace mode with MBAFF). If you even know that your source may be interlaced or telecined (I just recently learned that 1080i Telecine may exist), then encode it in interlaced mode, with the correct field dominance (possibly TFF, but check it using Bob).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    In this particular instance, It's televised football. Either downloaded from DVR or ATSC Antenna.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The resolution and frame rate you choose is limited according to the Blu-ray spec.

If the video is 1080i 29.97fps leave it interlaced. Since it is sports, there would be a noticeable stutter if you converted to 1080p 24fps.

Another option would be to deinterlace/bob the video to 60fps and encode at 720p.

But MPEG-2 1080i is Blu-ray compatible. If you want to preserve quality, just create a Blu-ray from the raw MPEG-2 without re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, Thanks. I've burned a few mpg2 BDs just as they are.. Less important games get the AVC recode.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mocarob View Post
    Less important games get the AVC recode.
    It's a good thing they're not important.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    They're just Titans games..
    Quote Quote