VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello to all, I've a technical question

I downloaded a 360 degree vr video from youtube with youtube-dl tool in a quality shown in following picture: 3840 x 1920, mp4 format.
    see -> Lions.png

VLC player shows the following media information:
    see -> Lions3.png

When I watch this video with VLC or media player it shows a horizontal split (like a 3dh video, with upper part for left eye and lower part for right eye).
    And so the video is shown if I load it on a Oculus Go VR headset.
    see -> Lions2.png

But because it is not a 3D video, the video is not correct shown in a headset.
    My question is now: What is this video format? Is it a special streaming format?

Some Info:
    Used for download: youtube-dl and
    ffmpeg converter
    vlc player and Oculus Go for visualisation

Regards
    MeckiMesser
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lions.PNG
Views:	477
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	48888  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lions3.PNG
Views:	186
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	48889  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lions2.PNG
Views:	236
Size:	881.2 KB
ID:	48890  

Quote Quote  
  2. There is no horizontal strip.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello LZAA,
    this answer is not usefull.
    Tell us what it is, but not what it is not.

Regards.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Your question is incomprehensible.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Average video editor Sviests's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It would help if you actually posted the link to youtube video you're trying to get,otherwise we're just speculating what is wrong here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I watched: normal video there.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I think the problem is on your end. I've downloaded it and there is no split.

[Attachment 48895 - Click to enlarge]

If you open the video with Potplayer you'll see that there are 4 different interactive angles. You can choose one of them and move the view with a mouse click. Interesting. How can you download a 360 degree video? This wouldn't make sense. This video consists of 4 different angles.

[Attachment 48896 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by hvq; 28th Apr 2019 at 12:03.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello hvq,
    great, you found the video.

It seems there is a difference between downloading and watching the video offline (no WLAN available)
    or to stream it when WLAN is available.
    I downloaded it with youtube-dl to copy it to my Oculus Go VR headset and watch it offline if no WLAN is available.
    Hence I downloaded it in a very high resolution, because the Oculus Go accepts this resolution
    (and streaming in high resolution HD may cause stops, if WLAN is weak).

How do you download this video?

I use the youtube-dl with a ffmpeg decoder to download and store the video on harddisc.
    And this produces the shown video with the split.
    I guess the settings/configuaration for Youtube-dl and/or ffmpeg is not correct.
    And I need information, ho to get a correct config.

In VR headset, you have no 4 angles, you can turn 360°, may be the video is composed from 4 camera parts.
    In codec information I found no hint about 4 angels.

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to LZAA for the link. I'll try it.

But nevertheless I want to find out what is the problem with the download.
    I want to understand whats going on.
    And how I can solve the problem with youtube-dl and/or ffmpeg.
    Quote Quote  
  10. How does the device play this file?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I guess the video is a composition of 4 x 90° components (maybe equivalent to 4 cameras used ??)
    Like hvq mentioned, potplayer shows 4 interactive angles.

Horizontal or vertical split videos are composed to be watched with virtual reality vr headsets or with cardboards using smartphones,
    where one split is for left eye and one for the rigth eye. Horizontal split: left eye upper part, right eye lower part.
    This is normally a format which is used for a 3d video. (if you search for 3dh or 3dv videos, you will get a lot of examples).

But I guess youtube-dl composes a wrong video format when it downloads the 360° video and builds it.

1. The media information from my download with youtube-dl (picture 2) is different from media information from hvq's video download with potplayer (or vlc).

2. Potplayers 3rd angle (which is back scene, 180°) seems to be the same as in youtube-dl output!

Youtube-dl and ffmpeg are tools with extensive configuration possibilities and may be I need special settings for 360° video downloads
    which I do not know at the moment.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found this article which explains that youtube changes it's vr 360° format to Equi-Angular Cubemap, or EAC:
    https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl/issues/15267
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by MeckiMesser View Post
    I found this article which explains that youtube changes it's vr 360° format to Equi-Angular Cubemap, or EAC:
    https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl/issues/15267
    lol, you? https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/393115-Need-help-from-youtube-dl-ffmpeg-expert#post2550440
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry Pandy, I didn' want do belittle your great work. I hadn't read you post in the other thread when I posted here. But nevertheless you gave the best answers to this problem.
    I now read also the other comments posted in the other links provided by you.

But the easiest way to get correct format is to use --user-agent "" for download,
    then the video was downloaded in equirectangular panorama format from youtube.
    Quote Quote