VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bitrate is large part of file size, I've posted many time before trying to find a way to keep the 1080p quality with a small file size but now I realize thats almost impossible. I was shown a bite rate calculator that help give the bitrate to use tp obtain certain file sizes. Now I see it the type of encoding that is used to help keep the high Bluray 1080p quality. As always with lowering the bite rate which lowers the file size that ultimately lowers the quality. Screen is not as bright as true Blu ray, true black not as dark with other aspect unknown to me.

Is H.264 the best for encoding blu ray to keep the high qulity of blu ray with low file size.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by AndreL View Post
    Bitrate is large part of file size
    No, it's all of the filesize, except for a tiny bit of overhead for the container, subtitles, chapter stops, etc.

Code:
    File size = bitrate * running time
    Of course, bitrate is the sum of all audio and video bitrates.

Originally Posted by AndreL View Post
    As always with lowering the bite rate which lowers the file size that ultimately lowers the quality. Screen is not as bright as true Blu ray, true black not as dark with other aspect unknown to me.
    Bitrate doesn't effect black and bright levels. You have another problem there. Too low a bitrate results in loss of small low contrast detail, blocky artifacts, rough edges...

Originally Posted by AndreL View Post
    Is H.264 the best for encoding blu ray to keep the high qulity of blu ray with low file size.
    Yes. Some h.264 encoders are better than others. x264 is generally considered the best. And the settings you use matter too.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You don't exactly specify what you mean by small file size. The only 1080p br rip/encode I've ever seen that was close to original quality was 16Gb in size.

I think you'd be better off downscaling to 720p if you want high quality in a decent size. I've seen some really excellent br encodes like that. They were still around 2Gb, maybe a little less. And they were done by people with a good knowledge of the settings, which do matter hugely.

I've seen br encodes to 1080p about 1Gb in size or less. They were really bad, and I seriously doubt there are any settings that would've made them any good.

I have seen 1080
    Quote Quote