VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Plextor 8x Internal Dual Format DVD±R/RW/CD-RW Drive (PX-708A/SW) » only $149.99 + Free Shipping

BestBuy.com is carrying this 8x Dual Format DVD-Burner for $179.99

There is a $30 Exclusive Rebate on it until 04/03/2004

[ http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1059048806395&skuId=5842902&type=product ]

BestBuy.com is offering Free Shipping on ALL purchases
    Quote Quote  
  2. BEFORE you even think of purchasing a 708A

Please browse the Plextor forums at CDFREAKS.COM

and

Browse the threads on this FORUM about it and make an informed decision.

I'll be on my THIRD one soon and I bought it initially after X-MAS.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by axolotls
    BEFORE you even think of purchasing a 708A

Please browse the Plextor forums at CDFREAKS.COM

and

Browse the threads on this FORUM about it and make an informed decision.

I'll be on my THIRD one soon and I bought it initially after X-MAS.
    You're on your THIRD one! Yikes!!! That can't be good

Thanks for the info on CDFreaks.com!

I already own the Plextor 708A. I've had mine since Oct 2003, and I have burned over 500 DVDs to date. I've burned everything from Arita DVD+R Media to Verbatim Dataplus DVD+R. I've haven't experienced one problem with the Plextor 708a yet.

Not only did I burn those 500 DVDs with the 708A but I also ripped about that many DVDs with the unit too. Again, no problems!
    Quote Quote  
  4. ^^ Hi!

No, I never had any problems with writing DVDs or ripping them. It was just the CD portion of the writer that always failed. Had to do with the power regulation of the laser...

Frustrating.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whoas! You're on your 3rd Plextor! Aiyah! Das not good.
    I've had my Plextor 708A since November 2003. I've had no problems with my burner. Knocks on wood! I don't use my 708A to rip dvds. I use my Toshiba dvdrom for that task. In my experience it is best to use the "RECOMMENDED" DVD media that Plextor recommends. They have a compatibility chart for other brands of media but not all of them work with the drive. Check the Pioneer, NEC, & LiteOn forums at cdfreaks.com, they all have their pros and cons and share of problems.

I didn't see the exculsive rebate on the bestbuy link you provided. I'm waiting for the 708A price to drop since the new 712 will be released in April. I just might purchase another 708A.

__________________________________________________ _______

Da Easter Bunny is coming!!!!!
    Quote Quote