VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    hope it is right place. I have monitor, that in nvidia control panel offers at native resolution 1920x1080 just 60hz under PC. But there is also possibility to switch to Ultra HD, HD, SD and here set monitor to 1080p at refresh rate 50hz.
    So my question is, if this is safe. I used it several times and spare about 20% (probably much lower number) of computer resources.
    So if I have ordinary monitor just 60hz at full HD, at 800x600 even 75hz-56hz, if 50hz at 1080p will not hurts monitor. Or is it that way that I can have any refresh rate that nvidia control panel offers, even it is not under PC resolutions but as mentioned under Ultra HD/HD/SD option listed.
    Hope it is clear stated question, if not, ask please. Now I have not problem with GPU, but CPU is bottleneck and save it a bit helps a lot.

Here I made primitive picture from nvidia control panel

[Attachment 46433 - Click to enlarge]

Thank you and sorry for such, for others probably, trivial question.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  2. LCD are memory type displays - this mean that they use own (LCD controller) memory to store frame and that frame can be displayed synchronously/asynchronously to your source video refresh rate - it is safe to set lowest possible and acceptable refresh rate on your computer. If you not use embedded type of graphics (that one using UMA memory model) then usually there is no benefits from reduced refresh rate (some power consumption can be reduced but not much IMHO). So short answer is - there is no impact on LCD display - they can accept even sub 1Hz refresh rate (LCD is very slow display technology - LC response time is very high hundreds of ms).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much as usual Pandy!
    It is not about video, more likely about gpu/cpu intensive directX12 games. But here is this forum for this question about LCD, so I asked. When watching output from MSI afterburner, there is some gpu/cpu less needed than at 60fps. I know it is not theoretical 20% but some number it is.

Thank you for ensure me, that this UHD, HD, SD 50hz is safe for my monitor.
    I switched to this only at really very intensive consuming gpu/cpu. Mostly cpu in my case.

Thanks once again!

Bernix
    Quote Quote