VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone know if RF coax and composite rca are compatible? I bought a Sony Direct TV hd tv/satellite receiver SAT-HD300 with tv/cable/dish RF-in, and component rca-out thinking I could use a RF-to-rca adapter on the tv/cable input, and output the signal via component. I was going to treat the RF-in as if it is composite-in. Both RF and rca are 75 ohm if I remember correctly.

I transfer laserdiscs and need an external unit for 3D comb filter and was curious if this unit has one. If it does I plan on soldering a rca chassis mount socket but wanted to first test with the adapter.

I know the unit works as I’ve ran my tv’s antenna in and outputted through the component rca’s and got a good picture but get only static when using the LD player (w/RF-rca adapter). I have not tried with a RF-to-rca cable though.

Units like video processors & set top dvd recorders have decent 3D comb filters so I figured I’d give this a try. But those always have rca composite input meant to clean up the Y/C separation. Being how this unit receives the input signal from the tv station, does that mean the signal’s already been de-interlaced or there won’t be any need for a comb filter?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by clashradio View Post
    Does anyone know if RF coax and composite rca are compatible?
    No. RF is audio and video frequency modulated onto a broadcast "radio frequency" signal. You need a tuner to use it. Composite is raw video/audio.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by clashradio View Post
    Does anyone know if RF coax and composite rca are compatible?
    No. RF is audio and video frequency modulated onto a broadcast "radio frequency" signal. You need a tuner to use it. Composite is raw video/audio.
    That's a bummer. What's the purpose of RF to rca cables and adapters?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I only know of RCA to RF Coax converters, which takes the video/audio and raises the frequency up to Channel 3/4 NTSC. It also has to convert the audio to an FM signal and place it next to the video signal on the same channel. Going through the process of converting to RF is usually going to result in quality loss.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I looked into converters, but didn't want to lose quality like you said. I ended up ordering a proper unit for what I need (composite-in).
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	46518  

Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are numerous connectors to interconnect various types of equipment or to allow use of different types of cables in various situations. The most well known is using a RCA to RF connector for old game systems of the '70's/'80's like the Atari 2600/VCS which used an RCA jack for RF output. There was no technical increase in picture quality (the signal was still RF), but the more secure connection (versus having to run through a switchbox) gave a more stable picture.

What KarMa is referring to is a RF Modulator which multiplexes the signal (as jagabo stated) into an RF signal which can be received by a video/TV tuner. There are also RF Demodulators which takes an RF signal and demultiplexes it into separate video and audio. This is what happens within your receiver when you feed a signal from the RF in. Since both conversions are done in the analog realm, there's signal loss and degradation with both conversions.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by clashradio View Post
    I looked into converters, but didn't want to lose quality like you said. I ended up ordering a proper unit for what I need (composite-in).
    As jagabo stated, the RF input on your receiver is for an RF modulated signal, which is why it's labeled "tv/cable/dish". It's NOT a composite video input no matter what type of adapter you use.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I learned the hard way on this one. It was reasonably cheap.
    Quote Quote