VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Recently i encode some animes, and for a better compress i use ordered chapters. i split in mkvtoolnix and encode, i create chapters with corrects timestamps and keyframes, but when i play the file, in the end of OP or ED, appears errors like gray blocks or video trembling in the first seconds of the scene. I am doing something wrong?
    Sorry for english
    Quote Quote  
  2. To give a better answer we would need a much more detailed insight into your workflow.

Look out for:
    1. make sure you are not already breaking your files when splitting via mkvtoolnix e.g. because of Open GOP (use AviSynth Trim() instead)
    2. encode all parts compatible (for x264 you may need to set --stitchable)
    3. make sure chapter points are IDR frames.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I split the OP and ED in keyframes, i look on avidemux the i-frames before cut, i encode in hevc using the same settings for all parts, the chapters are correct.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by davidcameron View Post
    I split the OP and ED in keyframes, i look on avidemux the i-frames before cut
    Does AviDemux differ between IDR and e.g. recovery point/other I frames? I doubt that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have used mpc-hc, i tried with VLC and don't have the error, but the subs desactivate when change to OP, someone know why the difference on the the two players?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Do all parts have a subtitle track? What subtitle format? If it's ASS/SSA make sure you have all styles and fonts identical in all files.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i used the OP and ED of the same file of the episode with same ASS subs and fonts.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Can you upload a sample?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    a sample of the two files?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Cutting mkv's on I(DR)-frames is not a guarantee for smooth playback when you use ordered chapters.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    in MPC-HC have the error, in VLC play correctly, but in VLC the subs desactivate when change to OP or other external file.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hmm.. I tested a different one with VLC and get the same problem, i.e. the subtitle track is deactivated when the timeline runs into the second chapter. I think maybe it is just a VLC bug (regression?). I wanted to test VLC 4.0 nightlies but they crash ...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What players support ordered chapters?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MPC-HC works for me, but I'm using a fairly old version (1.7.4.2). I've never tried to create ordered chapters using a piece of video that was cut from a larger video, I've only used files that were encoded separately. I don't use VLC on a PC, only on android as I've found that it is the only player that can consistently handle subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  15. MPC-HC/BE VLC and all other players which supports LAV Filter.

Best choices is MPC-HC(clsid).
    Quote Quote  
  16. To create/edit ordered chapters you could try chapterEditor.
    You will find many features and tools to create multi editions or chapter-segment-linking or Hard-linking mkv's.

And you should read my Matroska-Playback repo. Maybe it helps you to understand better ordered chapters and other linking features of Matroska.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will try mpc-be, and i used chaptereditor to create the chapter file and OC.
    Quote Quote  
  18. When you use MPC-BE, you have to use LAV Filters as external filter. the internal Matroska splitter uses basic functions only.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I solve the problem! I cut 1 second of fade in the end of opening and now the video play smoothly, but the ending is not on a keyframe, when come back to episode play 2 seconds of last part, there's a way to encode and selecting keyframes?
    Quote Quote