+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello

I'm looking for an easy/good DivX creation tool:

I wanna create DivX files for a DVD Player. It supports

DivX: 3, 4, 5, 6
    Video-Resolution: 720 x 480 @ 30 fps; 720 x 576 @ 25fps
    Bit-Rate: 4000 kbps; Peak max. 10.000 kbps; MPEG 4 ASP Level 5

I know it's a bit out of date, but do you can recommend something?

I'm also looking for an easy way to get rid of DVD menues from already ripped DVDs. I have some on my hard disk.
    Is there a quick way to load the "dvds" in a program and just remove the menues? (creating new ifo etc.)

Thanks for your attention, and excuse my english (not my native language)
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can encode divx with clever Ffmpeg-GUI.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Easiest tool to make a Main-movie-only DVD: DVD Shrink

You don't have to actually shrink, just select the movie PGC to keep. And you should be able to select a directory as source.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Be careful what you wish for. As stated, you can create a main movie only dvd but what about audio selection, sub-titles etc. No menu = no choice. And menus actually take very little space on the actual disk. Been a long time since I used dvd shrink but if memory serves you can choose what to keep audio etc. wise.

If you want to create Divx from dvd sources then the classic program is Gordian Knot or the simpler version of this AutoGK. The bitrates you quote appear rather excessive for Divx but, I guess, the dvd player requires these. Even so, those bitrates are perfectly adequate for Mpeg2 which your player should also support.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't get it.

"I have dvd rips".
    "I have a dvd player".
    You want to play files that are a generation worse quality because...you don't want to make a disc, or use a different (general media) player?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks to all...

The DVDs already have only one language and no subs so there is no menue needed.

@Scott

is the quality loss that high? The problem is the video files are too large for a single dvd (even dual layer, 5 hours and more). So i thought i can fix this, using divx.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by schmutzbrust View Post
    Thanks to all...

The DVDs already have only one language and no subs so there is no menue needed.

@Scott

is the quality loss that high? The problem is the video files are too large for a single dvd (even dual layer, 5 hours and more). So i thought i can fix this, using divx.
    You can certainly try it.
    My old Samsung DVD player (model HD 841) could play them, but it would glitch quite often and the picture would freeze.
    Probably a issue with the player, never did it on regular, burned, mpeg-2 DVD's.
    Perhaps give ProWo's tool a try
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As I previoulsy inferred, not at the bitrates you quote (even if the dvd player requires them)

Some simple maths:

2 hours single-sided dvd @ 4000 kbps for video
    4 hours double-sided dvd @ 4000 kbps for video

Yes. You can go lower but quality will soon suffer

DivX does allow you to reduce bitrate significantly but quality was never great to start with. But if you need 4000 kbps you will still have a file approaching 10 gb for video alone @ 5 hours

And do you really need a single dvd to be 5 hours ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Sorry for the delay... Maybe it helps to explain, what i really want to achieve...

I'm looking for a way to bring video files back to VHS. I already tried a lot (couple media boxes like Icy Box etc.) But nothing worked satisfactory. :/
    I need RGB Scart (here in europe) for best video quality, but all my tested solutions offer only composite (or HDMI wich want work on an old VCR)
    So i thought a DVD Player could work, because the european devices output RGB Scart. But problem is, these players don't support many codecs (mostly only divx or xvid)
    And devices with USB won't support HDD Drives or bigger USB sticks (at least the devices i tested)

So maybe someone knows a better approach...

A device that outputs RGB Scart and supports USB devices and many video codecs. Maybe a raspberry pie could so this? I saw some analog video output addons lately...

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    "video files back to vhs"

Video FILES never were on vhs. Vhs is an analog medium.

If you are attempting to use a vcr to store video files, understand that unlike optical DISCS, tapes like vhs are an "unstable" medium. Unstable media require proper stream formatting and greater error correction to avoid or alleviate error related issues.
    That was one of the main points behind the creation of the Mpeg Transport stream format. But this comes at a cost of greater overhead. Divx files have no such resiliency in the form you are looking at.

As a person who lived through the whole lifespan of vhs' rise, fall, and demise, I remember well the reasons everyone wanted to move away from it.

"...she wouldn't have believed me. She had to learn it for herself."
    -Glinda the good witch.

Smh

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe Scott has already adressed this but, having already replied once, I will add my two cents..

ANY codec is a digital conversion from either an original analogue form or another digital form. VHS is (was) an analogue form- analogue knows zilch about codecs. So you can output via a dvd-player to a VHS recorder and save that video to VHS - codecs do NOT come in to the arguement. At a 'push' you can even transfer what you see on your PC since that is now digital back to VHS.

In a word or three your whole topic clouded the issue and wasted the time of those who initially replied.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    A "DVD Player" plays "DVD Video discs". If it plays anything else in addition, I would not call them only "DVD Players" anymore...

Furthermoer I see no good reason to still record VHS tapes in these days. Who would still like to handle this quality loss?
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Be careful what you wish for. As stated, you can create a main movie only dvd but what about audio selection, sub-titles etc. No menu = no choice. And menus actually take very little space on the actual disk. Been a long time since I used dvd shrink but if memory serves you can choose what to keep audio etc. wise.

If you want to create Divx from dvd sources then the classic program is Gordian Knot or the simpler version of this AutoGK. The bitrates you quote appear rather excessive for Divx but, I guess, the dvd player requires these. Even so, those bitrates are perfectly adequate for Mpeg2 which your player should also support.
    Most dvd players allow you to select different audios and subtitle even thought there isn't a menu as long as they are there.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    And do you really need a single dvd to be 5 hours ?
    +1

Split the video into two or more no quality loss DVDs with DVDShrink vs hours of severely reduced quality video.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You want to record to VHS? Then even more so, split your videos and play them. To get a 5 hour VHS recording, you'd need to record at EP/SLP with severely lower quality.

Why do you need your video on VHS? Is is for artistic reasons? If [so], you won't get a true representation of VHS quality because your reencoded video will have digital artifacts.

The analog output hole has been closed on all current playback devices including the Raspberry Pi.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but VHS (and all analog tape formats) is native YUV , so outputting to RGB requires a conversion and will result in lower quality. The best quality you'll get from VHS is through S-Video or possibly component?
    Last edited by lingyi; 24th Sep 2022 at 21:11.
    Quote Quote