VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok guys.

I have a cople of projects that I been working on, the films when played on my widescreen monitor is boxed up, the original is widescreen/ letterboxed but you see the two vertical pillars on the sides.

when i load the file in tmpg express it says 4:3, I know the original file is this way, but I want to stretch it out so it fits my widescreen monitor.

So I did it for a couple of films and I liked it but i did notice it's blurry, it loses detail when I stretch it out that way.

What is the best way for me to process these to stretch to 16:9 but not lose as much detail. I am planning on using virtualdub and then tmpg to make the .mpg file, so a guide for this would be nice.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok i found a guide i will be trying out.

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic316902.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. TMPGEnc Plus has one of the least sharp upsizing algorithms -- simple bilinear. I would guess that TMPGEnc Express is the same. Other programs, like VirtualDub and AviSynth have sharper upsizing filters like bicubic and lanczos3. On the other hand, sharpening will tend to accentuate noise, aliasing, and other artifacts in your source.

Since you're in an NTSC country, upsizing film sources will also require converting your interlaced (telecined) captures back to the original film frames (inverse telecine). This can be tricky, though not impossible. Upsizing fully interlaced sources (typically sports and news) will require specialized resizing filters or deinterlacing. And the results won't be nearly as good.

In any case, you're not going to get more detail by upsizing. The best you can hope for is to maintian some sharpness at edges and not to introduce too many artifacts. If your TV has a zoom feature you're better off using that.
    Quote Quote