VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. This area of your site asks for feedback, including "ugly" feedback, so I've done that below. If you read it and your response is to get angry and lash out, then this post is especially for you.

The Internet has a way of okaying nasty behavior, so it becomes the perfect pulpit for a bully, especially when others that hang at the site haven't got the courage to stand up to the bully and instead feel like they have to go along, out of fear that they'll be treated the same way. It's the perfect setting for a cowardice, gang mentality and it's happening on your site. I'm a busy person and I don't use social media, so I have no reason to return. I posted two posts, including this one.

My first thread is under Newbie ("want to watch old videos...") and I received some helpful responses, but also some nasty responses from someone and then from his/her buddies, which, like all accomplices, deny the nastiness in order to support the bully. It's mild, it's not too intense, but it's there and it's unnecessary. What's interesting is the validation: this person's angry avatar is puffing smoke; they call themselves "a big meanie" in the "666th portal"; their quote is that "a lot of people are better dead." It's so obvious, it's ridiculous. Still, they were helpful, so their input is not completely wasteful. But IMO, it makes your site less worthy. I don't know anything about video stuff. I originally posted photos and immediately pulled them down and re-posted because the images weren't clear, and I had no way of responding to another person's post, trying to assist using my original, deleted photos, which were also deleted on my phone and computer. Yet, along the thread, there is a constant bashing of my questions -as if I was a troll. There is a helpful response at the end from a person with a friendly demeanor -this was helpful.

My suggestion: Take a deep breath and ask yourself what you're trying to accomplish with your words. If you think you look smart, lashing out, realize the only thing you're accomplishing is pity. Intelligent adults don't act this way.

Best of luck
    Last edited by KKat; 15th Mar 2019 at 10:55.

2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was a participant in that thread. The "big meanie" wrote a perfectly good reply which KKat did not like or understand, and he/she became angry. As for treating KKat like a troll, I suspected the same after KKat's unwarranted hostility.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329

3. There is nothing in my text to support your false interpretation of anger or hostility. Never happened. If you disagree, please supply the text.

4. Originally Posted by KKat View Post
    The Internet has a way of okaying nasty behavior, so it becomes the perfect pulpit for a bully
    First time Internet user, right? It's not "The Internet" that removes inhibitors, it's anonymity.

Originally Posted by KKat View Post
    What's interesting is the validation: this person's angry avatar is puffing smoke; they call themselves "a big meanie" in the "666th portal"; their quote is that "a lot of people are better dead." It's so obvious, it's ridiculous.
    If you're already offended by silly Avatars you should probably avoid discussion forums entirely.

But IMO, it makes your site less worthy.
    Worthy of what? Your approval?

5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is nothing in my text to support your false interpretation of anger or hostility. Never happened. If you disagree, please supply the text.
    If your numbers don't correlate to the photo, I'm afraid I cannot use the info.

I NEED TO TRANSFER THESE TO AN EXTERNAL DRIVE. If they're not going to transfer through a USB port, I need to know how to transfer them.

thank you
    Posting in all caps in an otherwise normal sentence case post is a deliberate choice, which indicates anger.

Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    what you need to at least be able to read the source has nothing to do with being able to copy the data to a hard drive over usb!
    I'm afraid this is an unintelligible sentence. I have no idea what you are trying to say, except that you sound like a "big meanie." In any case, thank you for the info. I posted photos and deleted right away because the images were poor; sorry for any inconvenience. That said, if posting an explanation is going to make you upset, please consider not responding. I don't know about this stuff. If I did, I wouldn't be asking.

If anybody can provide the names of whatever is needed to be able to transfer info from these sources to an external drive, I would appreciate that... I need to TRANSFER this stuff to an external drive and don't know what to get to do that.

thanks
    More caps, plus insults.

Looks like I need to find a different forum or head to Best Buy and find a professional. I appreciate the info but much of it isn't specific. IE: "...and cables to connect to the audio-in of your pc" [what kind of cables, exactly?] I can't go to Amazon and type this. I need the exact name of everything needed for each piece, specifically.
    More insults. Anyone who shops at Best Buy should have noticed that Best Buy is mostly staffed by 20-something near-minimum wage salespeople who are not experts and are not likely to know much about the old tech that you need help with.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 15th Mar 2019 at 12:43. Reason: spelling

Search Comp PM
    "ugly"
    nasty behavior
    pulpit for a bully
    haven't got the courage
    cowardice, gang mentality
    "666th portal"
    angry avatar is puffing smoke
    the nastiness in order to support the bully
    completely wasteful
    You're one of those people that says vulgar things without using so-called "bad words" to do it. Then act as if you're all innocent because you avoided the "bad words". Those of us with no predilection against the "bad words" will gladly too you to go fu¢k yourself. And then you'll act as if you've been wounded, you're the victim, were treated uncouth, etc.

The overly "religious" (but not really) are the usual suspects. They say some horrible bull$hit on a regular basis, and throw in the word "God" or "Jesus" or "Amen" for good measure. And the "666" thing gives you away as one of those.

But you're the a$$hole, not us.

My suggestion: Take a deep breath and ask yourself what you're trying to accomplish with your words.
    No, I think you need to repeat that into a mirror, to yourself.

head to Best Buy and find a professional.
    That's amusing. You think an untrained minimum wage retail lackey knows more than even passing hobbyists, not to mention serious hobbyists or professionals? Good luck with that. Best Buy sells almost none of the stuff you'd even need, so you'd be met by blank stares from confused Millennials or GenZ'ers. In the 2000s, you'd have gotten low-end junk tools. Now they have none.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 15th Mar 2019 at 13:45.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS

7. unusually quiet,

I did not post a post in all caps; I used few caps to emphasize. I can see how this could be misunderstood though, so I should have used bold or italics.

Anyone can cut and paste sentences and call it anything they like; unless you can show disrespect or scorn, there is no insult. Aedipuss used scorn, which you are ignoring, which makes your argument one-sided. So what I'm seeing is that I singled you out by stating you were kind and that this put you in a position to be bullied. My apologies. It's probably hit or miss, but I've had excellent help from Best Buy on several occassions (with their Geek Squad, by phone, and in person). The one I go to has an [older] manager that knows a lot about all kinds of things, so yes, I think he'd be of value. If not, I'll go elsewhere. I do not need to purchase ALL of the equipment; only the stuff I can find that's reasonably priced (which is showing up all over the net); the rest can be taken to a professional.

Unless someone can respond accurately and with a sense of professionalism, I'm signing off.

8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    unusually quiet,

I did not post a post in all caps; I used few caps to emphasize. I can see how this could be misunderstood though, so I should have used bold or italics.

Anyone can cut and paste sentences and call it anything they like; unless you can show disrespect or scorn, there is no insult. Aedipuss used scorn, which you are ignoring, which makes your argument one-sided. So what I'm seeing is that I singled you out by stating you were kind and that this put you in a position to be bullied. My apologies. It's probably hit or miss, but I've had excellent help from Best Buy on several occassions (with their Geek Squad, by phone, and in person). The one I go to has an [older] manager that knows a lot about all kinds of things, so yes, I think he'd be of value. If not, I'll go elsewhere. I do not need to purchase ALL of the equipment; only the stuff I can find that's reasonably priced (which is showing up all over the net); the rest can be taken to a professional.

Unless someone can respond accurately and with a sense of professionalism, I'm signing off.
    "Oh would some power the gift give us,
    to see ourselves as others see us!"
    Robert Burns

You received the next best thing, an honest assessment of your words from others. Too bad you remain in denial about how you contributed to your issues with this forum.

I'm not sure why you think anybody influenced me to defend anyone else's behavior in that thread. I have had private messaging turned off for years, so any bullying would have to have been done in public. There is no evidence of that and I have no fear of it.

Search Comp PM
    wow. never had my nym, avatar, location, and signature all defamed in one post before. "aBigMeanie", i was called playing quake 2 back in the day and it stuck. avatar, well i smoke cigars. location and signature are quotes from a favorite movie of mine "versus". i posted with other nyms before the current one, but just stick with this one now.

sorry you weren't spoon fed step by step instructions, no one has that sort of time to devote to you. not trying to be mean, but you were given the info you asked for.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303

10. You should realize that members do not work here. Different era. You are reaching into parallel universe with different rules. You are basically angry for not being supposedly helped and expecting a ritual of yours what everyone suppose to say because we cannot see in each other heads. You cannot do that. That is the point.

Search Comp PM
    reasonably priced
    Put a dollar amount on that.

I know what video actually costs, what computer hardware actually costs, so I have realistic ideas of budget. Odds are, your budget is not realistic, so be open to understanding that. You can't blindly throw a dollar amount at something you don't understand.

I get rather tired of people who think "professional" means that you're supposed to be some sort of meek person that must tolerate stupidity and abuse. Being professional simple means you understand your field. And yes, some degree of decorum is expected. But at some point, if you're a pushy loud-mouth condescending ass, decorum slips or disappears. The problem is that you're passive aggressive, and think that snide comments are somehow allowable. They are not. If you want to start over, a bit more cheerful, you'll get help. It not, then not.

12. Member
    Search PM
    My suggestion: Take a deep breath and ask yourself what you're trying to accomplish with your words. If you think you look smart, lashing out, realize the only thing you're accomplishing is pity. Intelligent adults don't act this way.
    Since we are freely sharing advice, may I suggest that the next time you ask a bunch of strangers for free help, you lose the demanding, thin-skinned and condescending attitude?

Search Comp PM
    I don't really understand how someone could own a U-Matic tape without knowing that a floppy goes into a floppy drive, a CD goes into many types of Optical drives, a cassette goes into a cassette deck, a VHS tape goes into a VHS VCR, and so on. Unless you are in grade school and have never come across these formats. I've never even touched a U-Matic tape yet knew all the answers to your questions. This website is freely open to anyone on the internet and has attracted many bad actors over the years, so weird questions asked by new accounts are going to stand out. If the people on this board think you are jerking them around, then some might treat the thread as a joke. If people think your questions are honest and real then you will get better answers.

Search PM
    Well, I for one think you're getting a raw deal from veterans who should know better and lighten up.

Oh, wait.
    You're not gamaineco? Then, never mind.

Scott

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Oh, wait. You're not gamaineco? Then, never mind.
    He actually brings up a good question every 10th or so post.
    And then he's never entitled.

16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Update. It appears the complainant's desire for negative attention to validate his/her professional victim status has now been well and fully satisfied. His/her thread now closed.

17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hopefully this one with will be closed soon too.

Search Comp PM
    I guess that this one will soon follow.

Confucious once wrote "You can insult some of the people some of the time. You can insult all the people some of the time. But it takes a certain type of tosser to insult all the people all the time"

19. It's an interesting perspective from millenials and their helicopter parents. The world is literally trying to grapple on how to deal with all of you. Best of luck.

"Generation Snowflake, or Snowflake Generation, is a neologistic term used to characterize the millennial generation as being more prone to taking offence and having less psychological resilience than previous generations, or as being too emotionally vulnerable to cope with views that challenge their own."

Source: Wikipedia
    for op,
    most of folks here is over 60, if not all of them you interact here with

20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wikipedia also has something to say about victim playing, and none of it is good: "Victim playing is the fabrication of victimhood for a variety of reasons such as to justify abuse of others, to manipulate others, a coping strategy or attention seeking."

21. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread closed.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.