VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I posted some screenshots in this thread.

The screenshots are 1920x1080 in PNG format (lossless). Now some of the thumbnails are >400 KB and 802x467 pixels. Now users on slow connections and/or reading on mobile are screwed. I believe thumbnails should always be highly compressed jpegs and maybe with a smaller resolution.
    I would have actually just linked the screenshots but I don't even know how. The forum automatically puts the image attachments into the post.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I convert my photos to JPEG and resize to 800 X 600 pixels for this forum and they load fairly quickly.
    An example downsized from 4600 X 3600 and a size of 7MB. Size is now about 100KB. Windows 'Paint' works well enough.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	39303  

Quote Quote  
  3. I don't want to upload lossy pictures for encoding comparisons because then it's difficult to say where the artifacts come from (from jpeg or video encoder).

Btw, your thumbnail is larger than the "full" picture. (143 KB vs 118 KB)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    I don't want to upload lossy pictures for encoding comparisons because then it's difficult to say where the artifacts come from (from jpeg or video encoder).

Lossless images are bigger, so I'm not sure what more can be said. Either you go lossly or you go lossless. Could use JPEG with a Quality of 100 to minimize the loss while still dropping the size. Could use something like PNGGauntlet to compress your PNG losslessly. But it takes a long time and usually only gives 10-20% filesize drop.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    I don't want to upload lossy pictures for encoding comparisons because then it's difficult to say where the artifacts come from (from jpeg or video encoder).

Lossless images are bigger, so I'm not sure what more can be said. Either you go lossly or you go lossless. Could use JPEG with a Quality of 100 to minimize the loss while still dropping the size. Could use something like PNGGauntlet to compress your PNG losslessly. But it takes a long time and usually only gives 10-20% filesize drop.
    I think sneaker is saying the preview should be a smaller, lower quality version, but when you click on it you see the actual PNG, either downloaded or in a separate window/tab (depends on browser) . The preview on this site currently shows the actual image (and some people upload BMP's.. ughh)

But I've seen some people edit the links so the preview is not even shown, just a text hotlink to the image. Not sure how that is done
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    But I've seen some people edit the links so the preview is not even shown, just a text hotlink to the image. Not sure how that is done
    I can hotlink from the attachment from another post , and the image link is active without a preview
    eg.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/attachments/39017-1477276575/testchart720.png

But if you do it within the same post, it will still display the image in the post . Or if you upload and remove it within the same post it will be deleted
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok that makes more sense, I was pretty confused by OP's first post.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think he means to want the png images to become thumbnails like the ones in this link, below, but still retain the original fullsize image when clicked on, like the thumbnails in the link. If you click on any of them, they load to the original size, but wants the thumbnails to be tiny size jpegs on the web page for display purposes. I'm not sure how these are done like this. You will have to ask vaporeon800 how he does it.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/377577-Panasonc-PV-S4670-S-VHS-VCR-my-thoughts
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post

I think sneaker is saying the preview should be a smaller, lower quality version, but when you click on it you see the actual PNG, either downloaded or in a separate window/tab (depends on browser) . The preview on this site currently shows the actual image (and some people upload BMP's.. ughh)

Yes, both of these.
    1. large PNGs shouldn't become large PNG thumbnails.
    2. I want a way to stop the forum from automatically inserting the thumbnails into the post so that the user has to manually click on them. (maybe it's already possible but I don't know how)
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You upload them to imgur and link...

I could lower the thumbnail size and quality a bit.

Testing

Click image for larger version

Name:	Penguins.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	759.6 KB
ID:	39443

It doesn't seem to work...whatever setting I use...
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Test

Name:	Lighthouse.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	548.1 KB
ID:	39444  

Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope. It's always 800 pixels.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    ddssd

Name:	Chrysanthemumsadasd.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	864.5 KB
ID:	39445  

Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Why?
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No thumbnail?

Name:	Desert2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	826.1 KB
ID:	39446  

Quote Quote  
  16. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Finally?

Name:	marmor.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	363.4 KB
ID:	39447
    Last edited by Baldrick; 12th Nov 2016 at 09:39.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How small should I make them? Max 400 pixels?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Max 300 pixels wide should be sufficient, IMHO. Or is that too small for mobile clients?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Can I switch back to WYSIWYG editing??

Name:	test.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	39567  

Quote Quote  
  20. Bummer. Although from memory it previously resulted in a large image being resized as a non-clickable thumbnail and also it displayed a second time as a full size (or large) attached image. Now it's the other way around, although the "attached thumbnail" image is clickable. I guess the forum software still doesn't play nice with Pale Moon (and maybe Firefox?)
    Quote Quote  
  21. Back to the standard editor.

Name:	test.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	39568

Does anyone else have issues when using the "upload Image" toolbar button?

For my brief switch back to WYSIWYG Editing it seemd to be okay, but in standard editing mode after clicking the "upload image" button the popup window opens as expected, however the "select files" button almost never works the first time. It changes colour when clicked on, but the window for navigated to files with Explorer doesn't open. I then have to close the popup window for uploading images and try again. Often it takes several tries before I can select an image for uploading.
    I have a flash blocker add-on and uBlock installed but I've disabled both and the problem persists.

Also... as the popup window seems to rely on Flash, should there be some sort of warning when it isn't installed? I only ask because I disable Flash from running in Pale Moon a little while ago and forgot about it. It wasn't until after a few unsuccessful attempts at uploading an image that the penny dropped and I enabled it again. Without Flash running the "upload image" button produces a black box with some sort of "in progress" indication in the middle without any actual progress.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't had much luck with WYSIWYG Editing, especially with posting a lot of images in one thread.
    I went back to the Basic Editor.

I use the 'Upload files/Manage attachments' bar.

Name:	DSCN0009.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	511.2 KB
ID:	39569  

Quote Quote  
  23. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Firefox?

THe WYSIWYG editor doesn't work that good with latest browsers. I prefer the basic editor with CHrome.

OKey.. Pale Moon. Is it based on Firefox ?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I like Pale Moon and it's what I'm using most times. It is based on Firefox.
    I also use DuckDuckGo for a search engine and I get a lot less ad referrals. Sorry Google.
    Quote Quote  
  25. The WYSIWYG editor always worked well for me until a little while ago when the image problem started. I can't remember for sure, but I think it was far enough away from a browser or extension upgrade for me to be reasonably confident it wasn't something that changed my end. Now I think about it, I'm sure I also tested with Firefox running without extensions when it first happened and still had the same issue. Odd.....

I think it must be related to the screenshot below somehow. As you can see, I switched back to WYSIWYG editing for a single post.
    From my perspective, which may have no relation to how it actually works, the "upload image" button is a special method for adding images so they display all nice and thumbnaily and without the "Attached Thumbnails" label at the top, while still being added to the attachments list in the usual way, and it's as though the image is now being duplicated in the process so it appears in the list twice, although only one copy is linked to the thread... or I'm just talking complete bullocks..... it doesn't happen when using the standard editor though.
    Originally I deleted the second copy with "attached thumbnails" at the top and the remaining image would display normally in the post for me, but someone informed me if I did that that nobody else could see it. I might start using the "manage attachments" method so I can go back to WYSIWYG editing. The "upload image" method is frustrating in standard mode anyway due the the number of attempts required before I can browse for an image. The browse button in the "manage attachments" tab always works.

I stopped upgrading Firefox at version 45.4.0 as it's the last when that lets me install extensions without permission from Mozilla. I don't know what the current version is. I use Pale Moon as my regular browser.

Name:	Attachments.gif
Views:	301
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	39572
    Last edited by hello_hello; 17th Nov 2016 at 16:05.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    UPload files/manage attachments works best then.

THe other image upload is based on javascript(and the dead flash I think) and it only works in good browsers(only Chrome)....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I still use chrome, fulltime. The tabbing features are the best. I keep going back to it.

But, what is the process for making your image small like thumbnails? No one has mentioned how to do this.

Also, how do to string multiple thumbnails on one row, like the way vaporeon800 has done?
    Quote Quote  
  28. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    I still use chrome, fulltime. The tabbing features are the best. I keep going back to it.

But, what is the process for making your image small like thumbnails? No one has mentioned how to do this.

Also, how do to string multiple thumbnails on one row, like the way vaporeon800 has done?
    I think it worked with an old version of firefox and the WYSIWYG editor enabled.
    Quote Quote