VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hello.

I have Sony Vegas Studio HD Platinum 11 and I've had a crew shooting a film.

In cases where there are three or more microphones, if I drop the file into Vegas, I am told The Number of Channels is Not Supported.

I've tried making the default audio under preferences 5.1, with multiple audio tracks, but it makes no difference.

Is there a way to natively drop the file in for editing?

If not, is there a free utility to split the multichannel file into independent files as a wav or aiff and edit that way?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    besplit and besweet can give you 6 mono wav files for editing.

I'm sure there is a way to do it in eac3to but I'm not sure how to do it. eac3to is much newer than besplit/besweet and can recognize and work with audio from bluray and the like.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. What kind of files are you using? Does the codec/sample rate match the rest of your project? I've had no trouble with 8-discreet channel quicktimes or 5.1 in Platinum 11.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you all.

I'm a little lost on how to split into separate audio files using the GUI for EAC3. Please advise, and thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by apollo80 View Post

I'm a little lost on how to split into separate audio files using the GUI for EAC3. Please advise, and thanks in advance.
    see post #2 for instructions & screenshots
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/300964-Help-Split-6-Channels-into-separate-WAVs

post#6 has the older style GUI that most people prefer

it's actually easier and faster by commandline, as the GUI is quite cluttered and complicated IMO

eac3to input.ext output.wavs

(notice the extentions is "wavs" with an "s" , this will generate individual mono wavs)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks. For whatever reason, I couldn't get the "old" GUI to work. But command line did work.

Is there a way to do it in batches via command line? Again, thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by apollo80 View Post
    Thanks. For whatever reason, I couldn't get the "old" GUI to work. But command line did work.

Is there a way to do it in batches via command line? Again, thanks in advance.

from commandline (for batch file use %% instead of %, and of course change ext to what the real extension is for the input file type e.g *.ac3)

Code:
    for %a in ("*.ext") do eac3to "%a" "%~na.wavs"
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by apollo80 View Post

Is there a way to natively drop the file in for editing?

Also , if you can post mediainfo report (view=>text) copy & paste the results back here on one of the problem files, that would help . (There might be alternative ways, such as re-wrapping the file that might allow vegas to import it)
    Quote Quote  
  9. There certainly are ways to drop it in natively, as suggested earlier. But we need to know more about your file and project.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks all.

Is there a way to convert ac3 to mxf?

I read online Sony Vegas can accept multichannel mxf files

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I think mxf requires a video stream to be compliant, I don't think it can hold audio only

If it's just 6ch AC3, vegas should be able to import it natively, even the movie studio platinum version - yes confirmed

Seems like something else is going on
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm afraid Vegas won't import the ac3 files.

It states on the company web site it's due to a rights issue.

There were a couple of instances where I got certain ac3 files to import, and it asked me if I wanted to change audio to 5.1.

Then everything was imported.

However, I found Vegas would lock up and crash.

When I removed the ac3 files and imported straight wav files, it stopped crashing.

Don't know why vegas imports some and not others. But what it did import caused a crash.

I tried doing a bulk conversion from ac3 to wavs using eac3. Both command line and GUI, but couldn't get it to work.

On the instructions supplied by you earlier (and thank you, BTW)

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/300964-Help-Split-6-Channels-into-separate-WAVs

I don't understand what it's asking for in step 4.

Can you clarify?
    Last edited by apollo80; 4th Jul 2013 at 17:38. Reason: added information
    Quote Quote  
  13. try putting the ac3 in an AVI container , or a transport stream (.ts)

e.g
    ffmpeg -i input.ac3 -acodec copy output.avi

or

ffmpeg -i input.ac3 -acodec copy output.ts
    Quote Quote  
  14. Actually, the source files are listed as .wav

But there are multiple tracks.

I assumed that was ac3. What exactly is the file, then?
    Quote Quote  
  15. open them with mediainfo (view=>text)

copy & paste the text report back here
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    vegas has no problem importing multichannel wav. try using mediainfo on your source audio files.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  17. At work. On the way home. Ill post the mediainfo in about an hour. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    What kind of files are you using? Does the codec/sample rate match the rest of your project? I've had no trouble with 8-discreet channel quicktimes or 5.1 in Platinum 11.
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Also , if you can post mediainfo report (view=>text) copy & paste the results back here on one of the problem files, that would help . (There might be alternative ways, such as re-wrapping the file that might allow vegas to import it)
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    even the movie studio platinum version - yes confirmed

Seems like something else is going on
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    vegas has no problem importing multichannel wav. try using mediainfo on your source audio files.
    Originally Posted by apollo80 View Post
    At work. On the way home. Ill post the mediainfo in about an hour. Thanks.
    Could be the 4th time's the charm!
    Last edited by smrpix; 4th Jul 2013 at 18:56.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Here is a sample file

General
    Complete name : G:\AVAILABLE.2013.06.09\AVAILABLE.2013.06.09.CF.05 .SOUND\13Y06M09\25_01.WAV
    Format : Wave
    File size : 249 MiB
    Duration : 7mn 32s
    Overall bit rate mode : Constant
    Overall bit rate : 4 608 Kbps
    Producer : Sound Dev: 744T S#461810181002
    Description : sSPEED=023.976-ND / sTAKE=1 / sUBITS=$06091301 / sSWVER=2.67 / sPROJECT=AVAILABLE / sSCENE=25 / sFILENAME=25_01.WAV / sTAPE=13Y06M09 / sTRK1=Boom / sTRK2=Lav 1 iso / sTRK3=Lav 2 iso / sTRK4=Lav 3 iso / sNOTE=
    Encoded date : 2013-06-09 18:40:26
    Encoding settings : A=PCM,F=48000,W=24,M=multi,R=48000,T=4 Ch
    Producer_Reference : USSDV461810181002184054094147901
    Audio
    Format : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness : Little
    Format settings, Sign : Signed
    Codec ID : 1
    Duration : 7mn 32s
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 4 608 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 4 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 24 bits
    Stream size : 249 MiB (100%)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try starting over and encode the wav to 16 rather than 24 bit.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  21. 4ch pcm wave is a non standard configuration , probably not supported (see if you can enter custom settings in vegas studio)

But mono wavs should work
    Quote Quote  
  22. Mono wavs do work. I've split the given 4 channel wavs into mono wavs using eac3.

Back at work. I'll look into custom settings tonight when i get back home.

In the meantime, can someone tell me what I do with step 4. It's the only one I don't understand.

Thanks again.

Quote Quote  
  23. Do you mean the eac3 GUI ? You just select the input file or folder, for example "25_01.wav"

G:\AVAILABLE.2013.06.09\AVAILABLE.2013.06.09.CF.05 .SOUND\13Y06M09\25_01.WAV
    Quote Quote  
  24. Here we go.

The recording device was a Sound Devices 744, a professional recorder that creates BWAV or Broadcast wave files in a variety of formats. This is a Pro format and really needs a Pro NLE to import the files properly with all the proper metadata, track assignments, pullups, etc.

Downloaded samples from their site load seamlessly into Avid Media Composer and Premiere Pro. (Not into Vegas Movie Studio.) I'm sure Vegas Pro would work.

http://www.sounddevices.com/download/sample-files.htm

It does work in Audacity. (With missing metadata) and Audition.

I'm sure you can do re-encodes and workarounds, but your workflow will be simpler from beginning to end if you do this properly.
    Quote Quote  
  25. poisondeathray

I actually did that. It didn't work.

I'm also trying to do everything in the folder or I set up a batch of clips I want.

Still can't get it to work. What am I missing?

smrpix

Yes it was professionally recorded. And I've got a LOT of these audio files.

I guess I could download the trial version of Vegas Pro and see if it ingests the audio properly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the smrpix is correct. you'd need vegas pro to import the 24bit wav. it uses the 24bit 96khtz samples fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-04_211929.png
Views:	2576
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	18710
    --
    Quote Quote  
  27. I can import them into Vegas Movie Studio as 24 bit individual wavs, which I have been doing. Just not import 24 bit multichannel wavs. It will render in 16 bit though.

Is that what you meant, can't import 24 bit multichannel?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by apollo80 View Post
    poisondeathray

I actually did that. It didn't work.

I'm also trying to do everything in the folder or I set up a batch of clips I want.

Still can't get it to work. What am I missing?

Then just use the batch CLI method, it works on those sample clips that smrpix linked to .

I just downloaded this one, made a few copies with different names to test
    http://www.sounddevices.com/download/240_firmware_test_files/48000_29.97DF_4.WAV

But you don't keep the sexy metadata with eac3to

Upgrading your NLE is probably better idea
    Quote Quote  
  29. Wow, you guys are gonna love me. I tried the CLI method and couldn't get that to work, either.

I must be a moron. LOL...
    Quote Quote  
  30. Fortunately, Mediainfo displays the sexy metadata so you can grab it. Scene number/Take, Mic selection may be particularly useful.

Originally Posted by apollo80 View Post
    Description : sSPEED=023.976-ND / sTAKE=1 / sUBITS=$06091301 / sSWVER=2.67 / sPROJECT=AVAILABLE / sSCENE=25 / sFILENAME=25_01.WAV / sTAPE=13Y06M09 / sTRK1=Boom / sTRK2=Lav 1 iso / sTRK3=Lav 2 iso / sTRK4=Lav 3 iso / sNOTE=
    Encoded date : 2013-06-09 18:40:26
    Quote Quote