VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    need a free program to transfer video files off my ipod to computer
    i used winamp, its ok but more often than not fails....for example i will highlight 3 videos click transfer to local media, its says 55% transferred then just stalls.....have to disconnect my ipod and try again. its too unreliable. its fine for audio.
    also copytrans, like copytransmanager is an awesome program however crashed like a total b^%ch totally unreliable
    i just need something free and easy. i have over 2000 videos on my ipod and often chop and change, edit or fix the size of it make it smaller then put it back on the ipod

anything out there that will help me?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Windows Explorer
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I use both versions of CopyTrans and they both work very well.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    really? mine crashed whenever i open it
    have tried everything to fix it
    never works....wish it would seems like what i need

how does windows explorer transfer files from ipod to hard drive?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm new to the whole iPod(Touch) scene. I was just looking for an alternative to crappy iTunes and found the CopyTrans stuff. As far as I know Windows Explorer recognizes the pictures and videos....just not the music. You still need to have the Apple drivers(found in the iTunes install) installed on your PC.....I think....
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have transfered music to and from Ipod's (friends also) without ever installing anything.

Just used windows exlporer.

But then i also have friends that insist on installing Itunes!!
    LOL!!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    heck54, i use winamp + copytransmanager instead of itunes
    in saying that, my experience is copytrans crashes too much..cant handle what i want it to do, but if the updates fix this ill be happy.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    help
    i cant work out how to transfer video files to hard drive using explorer
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As I recall (though I don't know if they've changed that in more recent models) the iPod - unmodified, out of the box - uses an iTunes-format database to tell it what's on the iPod. Using Windows Explorer to move or copy your files doesn't abide by that database, so even if you copy something to the iPod, it might not realize the new material's there.

Plus, you used to be able to download standalone (executable) firmware updates from Apple. I believe now, you HAVE to do that through iTunes. Someone even said you have to activate a new iPod through iTunes, as well, but I don't know about that. So, you may well have to have iTunes installed, at least for those purposes.

Unfortunately, I haven't really tried working with video on an iPod using anything other than iTunes and Videora iPod Converter, some time ago, so I don't know what else might work. MediaMonkey, maybe?
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Are you trying to transfer video that is already in a format that an Ipod will play or are you trying to convert it as well ?
    I ask because many people use incorrect terms, such as, "I want to "rip" my dvd to Xvid" when in fact they are trying to "convert" it.

Maybe i missed it but i don't recall seeing you state what the video format was that you were trying to transfer.....
    What is the original format of the video ?

I am not an apple or ipod expert by any stretch of the imagination, all i know is every ipod i have tried and my friends, when you hook it up to a PC it just shows as an external drive/storage unit through windows explorer and there was never a problem transfering files to it.
    Last edited by Noahtuck; 25th Jun 2011 at 00:41.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by angryassdrummer View Post
    heck54, i use winamp + copytransmanager instead of itunes
    in saying that, my experience is copytrans crashes too much.
    I understand that....but it has NEVER crashed for me.

And since Apple JUST announced last week that they will be making their products LESS or NON-dependent on iTunes....I'm not sure how some people can just shout out WINDOWS EXPLORER....proving they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    here is what im trying to do
    i have over 2000 video files on my ipod, its a 160gig ipod and crammed full
    so sometimes i take videos off my ipod back onto hard drive to make room for other videos OR when i go through the files on winamp some are too large in relation to their length.. i try to make them a little larger than double the length of them ie 20 min video i want about 45mg so if i find files that are say 80mg i transfer them to hard drive and make them smaller

anyway, winamp does that well, mostly... but if i transfer more than one file at once (which i want to do) it stalls and i have to disconnect ipod...same with copytransmanager

also because my main computer has died i want to put all my media of video and music off ipod onto external hard drive. audio never seems to be an issue but video is. Just want a program that is stable..so i can highlight a few files say 8 files at a time and transfer to my hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I'm not sure how some people can just shout out WINDOWS EXPLORER....proving they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.
    Well, when i have personally used window explorer to transfer mp3's and compliant video to ipods with no apple software installed, my ass must be a lot F'n smarter than a hole in the ground!!
    LOL!!!

Just like every cell phone i have had always say's you have to install their software to convert and transfer files to the phone... BS!!
    Plug it in, show up as an external drive, transfer compliant files over and it's done.

Maybe newer gen ipod's are different, but i know what i have done
    Last edited by johns0; 25th Jun 2011 at 21:33. Reason: Quoting the wrong person
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    where did that quote come from Noahtuck? i didnt write that....wtf?
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Fixed the quote,was just a typo.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    LOL!!!
    Sorry about that, i must have mistakenly removed hech's name and left your's in

But we all knew who really said it
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Maybe newer gen ipod's are different, but i know what i have done
    Or it's one of the many new(er) flavors of iPod....like the iPod touch.....which needs iTunes or at least the drivers included in iTunes to function. And even if it is recognized by Windows...only the pics and video you made with the iPod Touch are visible.
    Maybe the older ipods are different, but I know what I can and cannot do with a Gen4 iPod Touch....cause I own one.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so aparet from windows explorer whats a free program to take video files off ipod to hard drive?
    Quote Quote