VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Not necessarily, given the results of Home Theater Mag's recent tests of 61 HDTVs. Using test patterns from a Silicon Optix HQV HD DVD, they tested deinterlacing, 3:2 detection and for the 1080p sets, bandwidth. Unfortunately, just over 54% of the HDTVs failed the deinterlacing test, 80% failed the 3:2 test, but the 1080p sets passed the bandwidth test, despite all but one (Pioneer Elite PRO-FHD1) losing some detail. If a HDTV doesn't pass these tests, then you're losing at least some visual information from a 1080i signal. Some televisions throw away half the horizontal lines, which results in a fail on the deinterlacing test, or don't perform inverse telecine on moving images appropriately, failing the 3:2 test. Of course, contrast ratio, refresh rate and black levels still contribute to overall picture quality, but you should take a look at their results to make sure you're getting every pixel you expected from your new HDTV.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/hookmeup/1106hook/
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Good article BJ_M...is the guy in the photo Danny DeVito?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I havent got around to the recent HT mag yet but the results absolutely do not suprise me.

just over 54% of the HDTVs failed the deinterlacing test, 80% failed the 3:2 test,

If not for the out of pocket costs people are paying this would be funny.
    Add that to the fake HD from Sat/ cable/ OTA (some channels) and what a web of deception.
    NL
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sure they'll have it all worked out by 2009, yeah right.

Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    Good article BJ_M...is the guy in the photo Danny DeVito?
    Looks like Melvin Frohike, one of the "Lone Gunmen" from the X-Files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, a very good article.

Thanks for posting it, BJ_M.
    Whatever doesn't kill me, merely ticks me off. (Never again a Sony consumer.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's interesting... That's why most TV broadcasts look like VHS tapes on those screens.
    Quote Quote