VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a lot of home videos I like to convert to digital. Nearly all the tapes are in very good condition and I am considering between Panasonic AG-1970 and Panasonic AG-1980. Will I miss anything if I opt for AG-1970 and are there better recommendations especially ones that does the job just as well as AG-1980 and not that expensive.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    The JVC HR series with line TBC.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    The JVC HR series with line TBC.
    what he said ^^^^
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Any specefi model I should look at?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Read lordsmurf's VCR buying guide at digitalfaq.com and while you're there, also read his video workflow guide about what else is required for successful captures:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/editorials/digital-video/professional-analog-workflow.htm#more-3391
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/1567-vcr-buying-guide.html

Also, while you may find a bargain locally or online, a sure bet it to contact him directly and ask what he's willing to sell. It will likely be more than you'd pay elsewhere, but you're guaranteed top quality.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The Panasonic AG-1980 is the best VCR I have ever owned and used. However, finding one may be a task. Many available on eBay but most are not in good working order. If you want to acquire a top notch Panasonic, it’ll cost you.
    Willing To Learn
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    So no matter what anyone says AG-1980 is the ultimate? Comparison wise what about AG-1970. I see that it is more reasonable but I read its made in 1993. How is the performance comparing it to AG-1980 and the JVC HR series with line TBC ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by RS456 View Post
    So no matter what anyone says AG-1980 is the ultimate? Comparison wise what about AG-1970. I see that it is more reasonable but I read its made in 1993. How is the performance comparing it to AG-1980 and the JVC HR series with line TBC ?
    The AG-1980 is a much better machine. Its playback is outstanding as is its built-in TBC. The AG-1970 is a good machine but not in the AG-1980's class. There is a reason why the 1970's are more modestly priced.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, go to the VCR Buying Guide link on DigitalFAQ. It is a great resource of information provided by people who know what they are talking about. The list also provides reasonable alternatives to the AG-1980.

Here is an excellent and reputable site if you are shopping for VCRs - https://www.tgrantphoto.com/sales/index.php

Tom Grant is honest. If you buy something from him, you can be sure it is top notch. Buying from eBay is risky. Chances are any machine you buy will have to be serviced.
    Willing To Learn
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RS456 View Post
    So no matter what anyone says AG-1980 is the ultimate?
    How is the performance comparing it to AG-1980 and the JVC HR series with line TBC ?
    No, not ultimate. It's an excellent VCR, but whether it's best depends on your source tapes. In general, JVC VCRs are better overall, but not always. The most ideal workflows have both JVC and Panasonic, for that reason.

Comparison wise what about AG-1970. I see that it is more reasonable but I read its made in 1993.
    Age doesn't matter, wear and use does. Condition is king. I'd take a minty AG-1970 over abused AG-1980. But my choice would be AG-1980, if all things were equal. (I know somebody who'd sell his spare refurb 1970s, refurb'd by deter, if you really want one. It'd cost less than 1980, but probably still more than a good JVC.)

Originally Posted by JoRodd View Post
    tgrant
    Tom Grant is honest. If you buy something from him, you can be sure it is top notch. Buying from eBay is risky. Chances are any machine you buy will have to be serviced.
    If buying new AG-1980, only buy from TGrant.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank Discs • Best TBCs • Best VCRs for capture • Restore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    One place where age matters is when the machine has been unused for many years. On occasion you may find a VCR with little or no use that has been sitting in its box for 20 years. The lubricants will be dried up and the mechanism seized. It will have to be taken apart, the dried gunk removed, and new lubrication placed. And then you will have a creampuff of a machine.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    I know somebody who'd sell his spare refurb 1970s, refurb'd by deter, if you really want one. It'd cost less than 1980, but probably still more than a good JVC.)
    lordsmurf

Where and how much is it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RS456 View Post
    I know somebody who'd sell his spare refurb 1970s, refurb'd by deter, if you really want one. It'd cost less than 1980, but probably still more than a good JVC.)
    lordsmurf
    Where and how much is it?
    PM me your contact details, and I'll pass it along.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank Discs • Best TBCs • Best VCRs for capture • Restore VHS
    Quote Quote