VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've got a logo that is 24-bit depth, sRGB and several lines in the design are grey on the black background. For some reason, when I use the jpg as a title card in Sony Vegas, the grey disappears and I end up with an incomplete logo. Does anyone know what I need to tweak in the video timeline settings or in the actual image itself to make the logo visible in its entirety in Vegas?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Are they thin lines ? Does it look ok in the preview and problem occurs only after exporting or does preview show the problem ?

What size is the jpg (dimensions) - is it the same as the project settings ?

What else are you doing in terms of operations? resizing / pan/crop ? Any other filters

Could it be because of deinterlacing ? either in vegas or in your player ? What are you project settings ? Export settings ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. No, not very thin. They're meant to be visible parts of a design. The preview looks fine, but then when it renders out it renders out without the grey.
    The dimensions are fine. The logo appears perfectly fine size and ratio wise it just loses the grey.
    I'm not using any filters in Vegas that would impede the grey from showing.
    The video is interlaced and I'm not doing anything to the image. I usually have no problems putting in images in a video. Don't quite know what to try. Is there a bit depth that video needs to be at for a certain bit depth of image to show up properly as a still? Is it possible that it's a colour space issue? What is the proper colour space for a video to allow an image?

Probably not relevant but I have a white background version of the same logo and a video using that one worked fine. Both have the exact same specs. That would suggest the problem is in the render, wouldn't it?
    Quote Quote  
  4. What format and settings did you use exporting? Try something else (e.g. if you used sony avc, try mpeg2 or uncompressed avi , just a small loop region, to rule out issue with that specific export format, but it doesn't make sense that the other logo wouldn't be affected)

Sony works in RGB internally . It's unlikely to be a color space issue, especially if the other white BG logo worked ok . If you used default settings, you will be working at 8bit which is normal. Only if you export something with a limited palette like a gif would you expect problems to occur - color wise

You can try replacing the jpg (eg. convert the jpg to a bmp or png in an image editor) , but it probably won't help

What if you start a brand new project, and just drop the jpg into a project and do a quick test render ? Is problem still there ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. YV12 chroma subsampling could cause colors of nearby patches to blend into thin horizontal lines. That won't be a problem with pure grey on pure black though. An interlace deflickering filter may cause loss of contrast with thin lines. You should post images of your logo and the result.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    What format and settings did you use exporting? Try something else (e.g. if you used sony avc, try mpeg2 or uncompressed avi , just a small loop region, to rule out issue with that specific export format, but it doesn't make sense that the other logo wouldn't be affected)

What if you start a brand new project, and just drop the jpg into a project and do a quick test render ? Is problem still there ?
    I'll try both those things. I just need to end up with something that can be uploaded to Facebook and Instagram for a client.
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    YV12 chroma subsampling could cause colors of nearby patches to blend into thin horizontal lines. You should post images of your logo and the result.
    These aren't turning into thin lines. Everything that is that shade of grey is disappearing. Both on my computer and on a TV when I watch it there.
    Quote Quote  
  7. What do you mean "disappearing"? Becoming transparent to the background?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    What do you mean "disappearing"? Becoming transparent to the background?
    I mean it's like someone took that layer of the image and deleted it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Well, I figured it out. It was something in the rendering settings. I literally just tried a different mkv render type and it worked. I unfortunately can't explain why.
    Quote Quote