VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Does the way this forum automatically displays links in posts as black underlined text drive anyone else nutty?

I get when it comes to web page design, sometimes looking cool might take precedence over functionality, and links aren't always blue underlined text anymore, and that's okay, it doesn't matter if the user needs to scan a page with his/her mouse to find the links, usually it's pretty obvious which text would be a link anyway...... but a link in the middle of a block of text in a forum post??
    Surely web page design 101 could get a look-in here. It's impossible to distinguish between normal underlined text and a link without giving it the mouse-over test, which to way of thinking is a little dumb. Wouldn't it be better if they were underlined blue? Or if underlining is way too 90's, what about just making them blue, or another colour, or something which distinguishes them from normal underlined text?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    [COLOR="rgb(0, 191, 255)"]like this[/COLOR] or maybe is [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]better[/COLOR]

That didn't work that well...
    Quote Quote  
  3. I tried using the forum's own function for changing text colour but it doesn't seem to work for links.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How about orange? Too bright?

Do you see that TMpgenc is a link?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Works for me with the standard theme/style. Would probably be a good idea to check it against the different themes/styles...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    How about orange? Too bright?

Do you see that TMpgenc is a link?
    When I hover the mouse over it I can tell it's a link as it turns red, otherwise it just looks like underlined text. When I use the quote function (as I have with your post) it displays as blue underlined text until I submit the post, then it goes back to being black, underlined text. Is it a browser thing? I'm using Firefox.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.png
Views:	324
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	17200

If there's a way to change the forum theme/style I wasn't aware of it. I'll have a play with that later, but I assume I'm just using the default theme/style at the moment.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You might have to refresh the page some times. Or shift-f5.
    Quote Quote  
  8. It's been displaying like that for as long as I can remember, and I regularly clear out cookies and temp internet files etc. I just tried this page with IE7 and your earlier TMpgenc link does in fact display as orange..... odd.... maybe I've got a stray display setting happening in Firefox, although I've not noticed the same thing on other sites..... I shall play around tomorrow when I have a chance. I guess the problem's at my end, or it's Firefox not displaying the links correctly.

I guess though I need to eat some humble pie...... I really hate that.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 12th Apr 2013 at 12:41.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What version of FF and have you checked the preferences?
    Preferences->Content->Fonts & Colours->Colours

Check the options for using system colours (disabled by default) and allowing pages to choose their own (enabled).
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm using Firefox 20 and I too get the black underlined links that turn red on mouse over. I checked with Opera 12.15 and the links are orange. Funny thing, until maybe a year ago the links always displayed in red in any browser.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    I'm using Firefox 20 and I too get the black underlined links that turn red on mouse over. I checked with Opera 12.15 and the links are orange. Funny thing, until maybe a year ago the links always displayed in red in any browser.
    Try refresh now. I hadn't updated all themes.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I refreshed the page and sure enough, Firefox now displays the links as orange text.
    So I assume it was a HTML thing? Not that I know much about HTML, but out of curiosity, what change did you need to make to get Firefox to display the links correctly?

I guess I owe some sort of apology for my first post, given it appears the links were only displaying as black underlined text in Firefox. I'd just assumed that's the way they'd been designed to display.

Or were links displaying as black underlined text in all browsers until you made changes? I'm confused now.....
    Last edited by hello_hello; 12th Apr 2013 at 23:22.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I refreshed the page and sure enough, Firefox now displays the links as orange text.
    So I assume it was a HTML thing? Not that I know much about HTML, but out of curiosity, what change did you need to make to get Firefox to display the links correctly?

I guess I owe some sort of apology for my first post, given it appears the links were only displaying as black underlined text in Firefox. I'd just assumed that's the way they'd been designed to display.

Or were links displaying as black underlined text in all browsers until you made changes? I'm confused now.....
    I changed the links yesterday. They were black underline in all browsers.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Then I guess I should say thank you. Personally I think the coloured text for links is a much better idea. Now I can furiously underline text to make a point without it being mistaken for a link.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote