VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone

I a new on this page, I am so good at English but I will do my best and I hope you can help me.
    I have a complete collection of WWF/E on VHS and I wanna put them all on my PC, after capturing I will convert them to MP4/H.264 You no the version of it visible trough my PS3 Media server (using XBOX 360)

My problem I started to rip my VHS I use a Terretec H5 USB capture. Into the Terretec H5 I use the Red, White and Yellow stick and into my pc I put the colors into a scart stick..
    I first tried same connection on my TV and there were no problem great quality..

Then I tried it on my PC and thats another story: I thing its the thing called overscan I am not sure.. I have used google a lot to read about it and tried to crop the overscan of, there it crop half of the picture..
    I really have no idea what to do? You are really my last hope..

Here are picture
    http://www.myupload.dk/handleupload/83f37zoeO46_m

Hope you can help my after seeing these pictures..

Sincerely
    JackDanielZ
    Last edited by JackDanielZ; 18th Feb 2012 at 05:07.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whats program used to record???

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post

Claudio
    I use TerraTec Home Cinema and i have windows 7 x64
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JackDanielZ View Post
    Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post

Claudio
    Try VIRTUALDUB, VH CAPTURE or AMARECTV to record.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post
    Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post

Claudio
    Try VIRTUALDUB, VH CAPTURE OR AMARECTV to record.

Claudio
    Thank you I will try that, do you have any idea what it is on the top of the picture?
    Its weird same setting played fine on my normal tv..
    Now I will try the program you gave me the name of..

Maybe I should say that the picture dosent just look like that after I have recorded it it also looks like that before being recorded on the PC
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome to the forum, JackDanielZ.

The distortion your image shows across the top of the picture is not called overscan. It's a form of tearing (as in a torn cloth or torn paper). In this case the tearing is located in an area that would be considered part of the overscan area on CRT tv's. Most HDTV's today have either a smaller overscan or no overscan. It is caused by damaged tape or unstable playback during capture from analog to digital video. There are many discussions in this forum about the use of some form of line-level TBC (Time Base Corrector) to fix this frequent problem. Here are links to two recent posts from a few days ago, with before-and-after images and video examples of the kinds of problems that can be repaired with line-tbc or tbc pass-through devices:

multiple examples of tearing:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/331681-s-video-artifacts?p=2141386&viewfull=1#post2141386

other problems fixed by tbc pass-through devices:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/331681-s-video-artifacts?p=2141899&viewfull=1#post2141899

Types of tbc's and different devices that can be used:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/343458-DVD-Recorder-to-use-as-a-pass-thru-TBC-Need-HELP?p=2140464
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 07:25.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    Welcome to the forum, JackDanielZ.

The distortion your image shows across the top of the picture is not called overscan. It's a form of tearing (as in a torn cloth or torn paper). In this case the tearing is located in an area that would be considered part of the overscan area on CRT tv's. Most HDTV's today have either a smaller overscan or no overscan. It is caused by damaged tape or unstable playback during capture from analog to digital video. There are many discussions in this forum about the use of some form of line-level TBC (Time Base Corrector) to fix this frequent problem. Here are links to two recent posts from a few days ago, with before-and-after images and video examples of the kinds of problems that can be repaired with line-tbc or tbc pass-through devices:

multiple examples of tearing:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/331681-s-video-artifacts?p=2141386&viewfull=1#post2141386

other problems fixed by tbc pass-through devices:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/331681-s-video-artifacts?p=2141899&viewfull=1#post2141899

Types of tbc's and different devices that can be used:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/343458-DVD-Recorder-to-use-as-a-pass-thru-TBC-Need-HELP?p=2140464
    Thank you I have watched the videos and looked at the pictures.. As i said I am really bad at English.
    tbc pass-through is such a thing a program I can download or a thing I need to download I have google it but I really dont understand what it is?
    Is it possible for you to explain that to me and/or maybe link to a picture of such?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The product shown is a full-frame-only TBC. Normally It will not repair tearing effects or straighten crooked or wiggling lines. The first link I posted earlier shows an example of the AVT-8710 having no effect on a tearing problem.

The 3rd link I posted offers some info on devices that can be used as pass-thru line and/or full-frame tbc's. A line-level tbc corrects the output timing of individual lines within a frame so that they arrive "on time" at the correct line rate at output. Full-frame tbc's usually work on frames only, ensuring that the frame rate is output at precisely the correct pace; used to help defeat copy protection and to maintain audio-video sync.
    Quote Quote  
  9. You can get an S-VHS deck with a built in line TBC (the single best investment you can make for VHS caps).

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/232830-Test-of-various-VCRs-Image-Quality-from-VHS-...%28Big-Pics%29

Or you can get a DVD recorder with a line-TBC and (only some have this feature) use it as a pass-through:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/319420-Who-uses-a-DVD-recorder-as-a-line-TBC-and-wh...=1#post1983288

Or you can get a standalone TBC which includes a line TBC function (not all do):

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/230650-Confused-Why-a-VCR-with-TBC-if-separate-TBC-needed-anyway
    Last edited by jagabo; 18th Feb 2012 at 06:37.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thank you all very much for the help.. I think I will give up on it I thought converting VHS to the PC was a lot easier. I have bin TV ripping for many years thats so easy compared to this.. I saw a guy that have ripped all wwf from 1996 I got that on my HD now, its VHSrips and Its looks insane, close to a dvdrip..
    I just bought myself a Terratec H5 and thought I could do i all, and close to a minute I got my first problem and needed you guys help.. I dont even know were to go from here..

1.What capture program to use?
    2. Should I buy a new VCR?
    3. Should I sell my Terretec H5 and buy another Hardware?
    4. The TBC problem I have will that be on every VHS tape? or the first were just me being unlucky?

I am stunned by the help in here, I have never bin in a Forum with more help then in here its really awesome..
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by JackDanielZ View Post
    1.What capture program to use?
    Whatever works properly with you hardware. The software that came with it is probably fine. VirtualDub was already mentions as a possible alternative.

2. Should I buy a new VCR?
    No -- you should buy a used VCR! There are no S-VHS decks being manufactured any more. You should get a used S-VHS deck with a line TBC if you want the best caps, even from regular VHS tapes.

3. Should I sell my Terretec H5 and buy another Hardware?
    Probably not necessary.

4. The TBC problem I have will that be on every VHS tape? or the first were just me being unlucky?
    You won't see tearing like that on all tapes. But all tapes will have at least minor horizontal jitter (it's a natural result of the spinning drum used in (S)VHS decks). A line TBC will correct most of that. A full frame TBC will help with A/V sync problems caused by tapes in poor condition (stretched, worn, etc.).
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo's previous post is sound advice. I don't know what you mean by "tv ripping". If you mean recording off tv broadcast, be aware that tv broadcasts usually don't have the kinds of timing or sync problems that cause tearing or many other effects. Broadcasts do have their own problems, though. Also, tearing does occur occasionally (usually due to tape damage or bad VCR head alignment) but it doesn't happen all the time. How your friend transferred their tapes, I don't know.

Whether or not the tearing on your tape was caused by alignment problems or just damaged tapes is difficult to say. If all your tapes display the same problem, it would be due to alignment of the original VCR. A tbc might or might not solve the alignment problem, and trying to purposely mis-align a new VCR exactly like the old one would be almost impossible. As for "new" VCR's, those made today are of much lower quality than those made 10 to 15 years ago. For some years the higher-end JVC's were so popular to the point that most of them found today have been used almost to destruction. One brand of used VCR's that usually work well (without built-in tbc) are Panasonics from the mid to late 1990's. For starters, you might search this forum for posts by member name orsetto, who seems to have used almost every VCR manufactured in the 1990's -- he uses mostly NTSC, but there are PAL versions of the same models and I'm certain he has used PAL machines as well.

If spending the time to research used VCR's is not feasible, current models of DVD/VCR combo units are at least serviceable. Those combo units can be used for tbc pass-thru as well as for playing and capturing tapes. Many people all over the world have taken to using these combo units. The output of these models can be improved by post-processing in your PC and can be made to look at least "better" than the original.

I'm not familiar with your terratec, but a new capture card won't solve this problem. There are capture devices available that actually include an onboard tbc, but they are not cheap. A DVD recorder or DVD/VCR combo with its onboard tbc as pass-thru is probably the easiest solution. If your tapes are mostly home-made, copy protection such as that found on retail VHS would not be an issue.
    Quote Quote