VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm looking for a program like "Image Grabber II", that can be set to find say like 25 screenshots of a video and then save them all automatically. Image Grabber doesn't work in this case because it doesn't work well with mpeg-2 files.

TIA.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    One way to do that with VirtualDub: http://www.virtualdub.org/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=34

To exporting a video segment as a sequence of numbered images on disk in VirtualDub, use File > Save Image Sequence. What you may not know is that nearly all of the regular video processing modes are still enabled in this mode. This includes video format, frame rate decimation/conversion, filtering, etc. modes. In particular, if you only want to write out every fifth frame in the video, simply set frame rate decimation to "every 5" and you will only get 1/5th of the frames. Similarly, if you are writing out BMPs, you probably want to use no video compression and a normal video format such as 24-bit RGB. (That VirtualDub allows you to write out something silly like MPEG-4 compressed "BMPs" is actually a misfeature that I need to fix.) For the most part, though, what you see in the preview is what will get written out to disk as images.
    What I do is find the total number of frames by using the '(End) Move to the last frame.' button. Then divide that by the number of frames desired for screenshots. Plug that into 'Video>Frame Rate>Frame rate conversion>Decimate by 'xxxx', where xxxx is the total number of frames divided by the screenshots desired. Then output as .bmp files. You can also change the extension to .jpg if desired.

I would use a higher number than the actual screenshots desired as you will have some 'throwaways'. This method is very fast.

I'm sure there are programs designed just for this, but VD can also do it fairly easily. Use VD Mod for MPEG type files.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Did you want a collage of preview pics (1 big picture), or individual 25 pictures?
    Quote Quote  
  4. 25 individual.

Thanks, redwudz. It worked perfectly, although I had to play around with some of the filters to deinterlace and resize for my ntsc film to have correct ar.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Great. I haven't used it that much and I was surprised it could use most of the VD features. Even though it doesn't show .jpg as a option, it appears to work by changing the extension. You may also be able to set it up the way you want it, then save it as 'processing settings' for future use.

There's a lot in VD that I haven't explored, and I find surprises all the time.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Never mind.
    Quote Quote