VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,,I have about 50 hdv tapes from the sony hdr fx1 camcorder.I'd like to digitize them and the current options are
    1)I have an older sony vaio laptop that has an i-link 4pin jack with sony vegas 8 and xp but after following the programs help instructions and the sony cam pamphlet the camcorder is not being recognized.I'm pretty sure I followed them correctly(It recognized it about 12 years ago when I did digitize part of a tape)
    2)I have a newer Asus desktop windows 10.1 with sony vegas 12 but would need a firewire port/card added to my pc.
    if I can get the laptop to recognize the camcorder I'd use that for now and both the laptop and camcorder seem to work fine with low use over the years.the cable itself is practically new and not sure if thats an issue.It seems to make sense to get the new firewire port but wondering if anyone has any suggestions? thank you
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    with the laptop use HDVsplit instead of vegas to capture the tape. if the firewire computer port/cable/cam port are working there is no better way.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for your reply.It says "camcorder is not recognized or connected" so I have no idea what is going on.I am running xp on the laptop,not sure if the latest version of hdvsplit works with that
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I had quite few HDV tapes from the FX1 that I've owned back in 2006 and I transferred them using HDVSplit before I sold it and move to a memory media camcorder on a Sony VAIO laptop via iLink on Wind7 with no problems, Make sure the camcorder is set to HDV not DV before you connect it to the firewire otherwise it will not work with HDVsplit.
    Quote Quote  
  5. thank you,glad it worked for you and you did it at the time.I have everything set correctly but hdvsplit is still not recognizing my cam.it could be the cable but it is like brand new.I will have to get it checked out.I cant think of anything else
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    a cable is cheap, it might be the problem, but the only way to know for sure is to test each piece to verify them. first you need to test the cams firewire port by taking it to another computer with a known working firewire port and cable. if it works there then you know it's either your cable or computer port. or borrow a known good firewire device to test your cable/port. sadly the firewire port on cams are all very fragile as the socket is only surface soldiered onto the mainboard.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. thanks again,I have no way to find another computer with a working firewire so Ill have BestBuy test things out.
    Quote Quote