VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

This year i used my go pro hero 3+ to film my dive in belize. I bought a new red filter but now i have a problem.
    The movies i captured are all really red, is there a way to get the colors back?

And does someone know how i get the red? Last year i did the same with the go pro hero 3 and also with a red filter but did not have the problem then

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The red filter is meant to offset the strong BLUE tinge to footage done on a dive. When done right, the low-pass filtering of the red-end-spectrum filter and the high-pass-filtering of the blue-end-spectrum environment should balance out, giving you a roughly evenly colored shot.

If this didn't work, it is because:
    1. the filter was the wrong one and was too strong for the environment
    2. you weren't deep enough to warrant that strong of a filter (gets bluer the deeper you go).
    3. both
    4. there's something wrong with your cam
    5. you used (underwater) lights last time, but not this time

Was this the same red filter used as last time (when it was successful)? Was the dive environment the same depth as last time?

After the fact, the only way to get rid of the strong red is to do a color correction in an NLE, Compositor, or ColorGrading app (or processor such as AVISynth). Note that no matter what you attempt, you have already lost LOTS of available exposure, so whatever is left will be quite dim and in need of a gain boost - this will also boost noise.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Last year i had a different red filter. The footage was almost perfect. I think the new one is a bit darker red. But on the website they said i should work form 20 - 40 ft. I even got to 90 ft but even then it is still red.

So i have to go check for a new filter.

I understand the footage now not wil get perfect but i hope it wil get better then it is now.
    I am gonna try it it.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!