VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    So I have quite an interesting predicament here. I have a handful of HD transport streams here that I have pulled off my cable box via firewire (mostly OTA stations and what channels Time Warner has left open copy-protection wise. Discovery Channel is a good example). After some lengthy investigation, all the data seems to be there as I see it on the tv decoded by the cable box. But the data must be slightly corrupted just enough to introduce visible and audible glitching in various applications.

In terms of tolerance, I have figured the following to be from best to worst:
    Nvidia's PureVideo decoder in hardware accel. mode (100% perfect, no glitches, smooth. And even though my geforce 6200 doesn't support HD mpeg2 via PV, it is taking the brunt of some of the work since my P4 is only registering 25% cpu under 1080i video whereas switching off hardware accel. maxes out the cpu usage and the video becomes a slideshow.)
    VLC (Some glitches here and there. Segments that have glitchy video but good audio it plays through but freezeframes the video)
    Stock MPEG2 codecs in Vista/Win7 (Seems to skip over every tiny glitch)

I have even tried all the so-called 'Transport Stream cleaners' out there that fix the bugs and clean up the file but they seem to all get caught up on the same bugs that the Windows codecs and VLC do and make an utter mess of the video.

My question is this: Is there any way I can use PV's codecs (preferrably in hardware acceleration mode) inside the process of converting the video to something a little more 'portable' and in the process hopefully clean up these bugs? It's been a while since I've really done any digging so can't recall if such a thing was possible. Hopefully it can be used inside an AVS script as well.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you have a newer Nvidia video card (your card is too old), you can use the VP2 engine and PureVideo to frameserve using avisynth using the DGMPGDecNV for MPEG2 sources. (DGAVCDecNV for AVC sources, DGVC1DecNV for VC-1 sources.)

It is used as an avisynth source filter which can even decode some broken streams that other decoders fail with, and even hardware deinterlacing is possible. It is not used as an encoder directly, but may decrease encoding time because more cpu cycles are free for encoding instead of decoding the source. It's not free, check out neuron2.net and Doom9 forums for more info
    Quote Quote