VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Forgive the horrendous photo examples here but I'm in the middle of a capture and just quickly grabbed these using my cell phone.

I would like to know what these "horizontal line flashes" are called so I can research what they are... looking up flashes or flickers yields too many results that are not the problem I am having.

It's a VHS-C tape and this is my 3rd attempt capturing it due to other issues I was having - this time I've gone back and used the original camcorder the tape was recorded in.

The first 2 captures had these little "flickers" too but they were much less apparent. It's a one frame "flash" of a horizontal line, either a color or white, and it happens consistently throughout.

Wondering if this is on the tape itself, fixable, preventable, or has something to do with the player. (First 2 times I was using the tape in an adapter in a S-VHS VCR, 2nd time I added Panasonic ES-10 into chain. The main problem I was having previously was vertical bouncing so I'm trying now with the camcorder to see if it's any better. I'd take the flickers over the bouncing if it is!)

[Attachment 58097 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 58098 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Welp, kind of a moot point now because once it got up to the bad parts of the tape it just completely choked anyway, so original camcorder was a big fail. The tape adapter with VCR was at least able to complete the capture all the way through.

I am still curious what is causing the lines though if someone can explain or point me in the right direction. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Comets. They are caused by static buildup and discharge within the VCR -- when the grounding flange between the head assembly and the rest of the VCR is corroded. Search these threads for comets.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Comets. They are caused by static buildup and discharge within the VCR -- when the grounding flange between the head assembly and the rest of the VCR is corroded. Search these threads for comets.

Will do, thank you!
    Quote Quote