VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi There Lads... I am just a guy trying to put old VHS tapes on to DVD's. I have a gizmo that is working fine but leaving me some adds at the end that I want to remove. The gizmo will not do this so I have turned to Shrink. Shrink will not recognise the MPEG image produced by me gizmo so I can't start. Any of yous guys got any ideas plz?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Mpg2Cut2 to edit and AVStoDVD to create DVD.

Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Dvdshrink supports only dvds(video_ts folder with vob files).

For mpeg files use something else like mpg2cut2, videoredo, tmpgenc mpeg editor.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The important word here is 'Dvd'. You have not created a dvd so dvdshrink will not recognise your mpeg capture. And, anyway, even if you had a dvd you chose the wrong tool for this.

Avidemux can trim mpeg2 and then save as stream copy. There are others. Check the 'tools' section for mpeg editors.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Say thanx here fella's for this info. I have already burned the VHS to DVD, but I am stuck with this stuff at the end. It don't matter much I suppose, being that one can turn off at the end, but I just don't want them there! (There are a couple od adds and part of a cartoon follow up film here).

I have in the directory the whole film and also the same film in two parts. All these files are MPEG.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    We have already told you how to edit mpeg files.

Or do you have a VIDEO_TS folder with vts_xxx.vob/ifo/bup files? Then is it a dvd and dvdshrink might not like it. You can then try copy it to the hdd first. Run fixvts on the video_Ts folder and try dvdshrink again. Or edit the dvd folder with tmpgenc mpeg editor.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or did you just 'burn' your mpeg files to a blank dvd ?. In other words you did NOT author a dvd.

Forget dvdshrink or what part of 'you chose the wrong tool for this' do you not understand ?

We are second guessing here. Need more information. As Baldrick has asked you, confirm the folders and filenames you have on the disk.
    Quote Quote  
  8. No Baldrick it's ok bud. I have just used mp2 and cut off the offending end piece and then saved the film 'clip' as it is called. So I now have the film as I wanted it in the first place all due to sambat really. Great job, you are doing a fantastic job fellas!
    Quote Quote  
  9. There is one other thing fellas, the mp2 program has interfered with the film some, in saving it as a clip I assume. The film could do with a run through a program that will let you change the brightness/contrast etc. Does anyone here know any program the will do this please/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GLOOPS View Post
    There is one other thing fellas, the mp2 program has interfered with the film some, in saving it as a clip I assume. /
    No it hasn't. Any imperfections were already there.

Originally Posted by GLOOPS View Post
    The film could do with a run through a program that will let you change the brightness/contrast etc. Does anyone here know any program the will do this please/
    Why not just try the programs already suggested to you.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Which program in particular is that D883 bud?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sometimes you need to find these things out yourself. Every program as suggested has a link to the tools section in this site. There is then a description of what it can do.

From there, there are also tutorials if you do not know what to do.

This is not being mean. You can not have everything served on a plate for you.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Why on earth not ???? It is good to investigate and discover ..I know that! It is also good to help somebody ...go the extra mile as they say.
    Quote Quote  
  14. What hardware and software are you currently using for your work?
    "Gizmo" is rather vague.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Well Clockwork lad, mi main program is called 'Honsestech VHS to DVD'. This is a fantastic little program. You see I am quite new to all this stuff that yous guys are dealing with every day. I have only recently gone WIFI and I have a load of old VHS tapes in mi attic. So I decided to convert then to DVD,

This program I have does everything needed. You can set up all the contrast; hue ect, before you even kick off. The only problem that I have found is that if you let it run over the end, you can't get rid of whatever is stuck there. Like I have about three adverts and half a cartoon show stuck there and I can't get rid of this stuff. I am in touch with the makers but I haven't got the problem resolved yet.

I have used the mp2 program is an excellent tool. I have got rid of the bits at the end by taking a 'snap' of all the main film. Problem is that the film graphics don't look exactly the same ..a bit brighter I think ...so I need to be able to run it through a program to align it all again. So it seems to me anyways.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Use AviDemux for cutting MPEG without re-encoding.

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

Avidemux can trim mpeg2 and then save as stream copy.

Yup.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Clockwork and D883 tremendous! Absolutely tremendous lads! Just what the doctor ordered!

I take my hat off you fellas up here ..you are doing a first class job gentlemen. I certainly know where to come now buddies.

(I wish you all a 25% pay rise in the coming year chaps!) lol
    Quote Quote