VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Dear friends,

A friend of mine told me to make a SVCD with 2600 of total bitrate, and then subtract the audio (for example 224 kbps), so it should be 2376, is that correct ?
    I´m asking that because I made a SVCD with 2520 bitrate plus 224 kbps audio and my Pioneer DV-333 DVD Player worked fine !
    Please, tell me more about the limits of the bitrate and the audio on SVCDs ...

Thanx ...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    From the 'What is SVCD' to the left. <<<

"Video: max 2600 kbit/sec MPEG-2 (Audio + Video bitrate max bitrate is 2778 kbit/s)."

You may be able to go over that, but then your player may not read it.

"Audio: 44100 Hz 32 - 384 kbit/sec MPEG-1 Layer2 or MPEG2 Audio
    with up to 2 Audio Tracks. (From the same "What is")
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes,

I just checked it out ... and 2778 is the limit ... I´m making SVCDs in TMPGEnc with 2520 plus 224 audio, and the total is 2774, so, it is ok !

Thanx for the support ...
    Quote Quote  
  4. The limit is just for the SVCD player that have maximum read velocity fixed at 2X, I think.
    If you use DVD player you shouldn't have problem (even if some bastard player can't play it, on my and many others >2778 it's O.K.).
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Of course if you want a full complaint SVCD you HAVE to use the right bitrate, and it's better to do it, if you don't want to have problems with others DVD players.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It really depends on what your DVD player can handle. My expierence with Apex-Daewoo-Sampo-Norcent is that they can handle upto a 5500 peak bitrate. Name brand players like your Pioneer tend to have fiemware that requires close to spec bitrates. My Sampo 612 will play SVCD with 9800 peak bitrate. It really depends on your DVD player. Before the experts post I know it's really an (X)SVCD.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    A bit of warning - if you exceed the maximum SVCD bitrates on video captured with a capture card, the audio may go out of sync with the video. ATI had this problem. Frankly, I got so pissed off at sync problems with my old ATI All-in-Wonder card that I switched to other cards, so I can't say if ATI still has this problem or not. This is generally not an issue if you are encoding video from video sources, such as DVD.
    A lot of older DVD players had big problems if your bit rate was above 4500. This was because the DVD-ROM drive in the player couldn't spin fast enough to read higher bit rates, so horrible audio problems were the result. A few older players just refused to play SVCD at all if the bit rates were above 2600, but this was a firmware issue and had nothing to do with drive speed.
    I agree with Hyper Shinchan that if you keep to the standards, you will have fewer problems with other DVD players, if that's anything you care about.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by wulf109
    ... My Sampo 612 will play SVCD with 9800 peak bitrate...
    Intervideo WinDVD Creater authors (X)SVCD at 8900 bitrate. It plays just fine in my Philips DVD player.
    When I was born I was so shocked that I could'nt speak for 18 months.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    There is some overhead at multiplexing also so you can't justr add video bitrate and audio bitrate to get the total bitrate.

FitCD is a great tool which can calculate maximum video bitrate based on your audio bitrate and used multiplexer.

But then the encoder may exceed the set maximum bitrate (TMPGEnc often does). In practice 2300 kbit/s video bitrate and 224 kbit/s audio bitrate seem to fall under the SVCD limits.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I also have a problem with very low bitrates. The SVCD (1h-29m-39s) plays fines on my DVD player but the timer is very slow, probably because it's under 1X.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the official thecnical explanation from Philips http://www.licensing.philips.com/includes/download.php?id=2698&filename=2450.pdf
    if it's O.K. with this all the SVCD player will play the CD. Also a lot of other useful information (even if a lot of this things are pretty rare, as SVCD subs and the MPEG Multichannel, only Philips's player support them).
    Quote Quote