VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I used this program several years ago. Then I ceased custom making DVD's and went to streaming my files in Plex.
    I have re-installed TMPGEnc AW 4 again, but need a little help (memory fails, this happens after retirement).

I clearly remember being able to put more data on a 4.7 or 8.5 than will actually fit, by changing some settings (bitrates), as for the dropdown where the output selection is, I don't remember what I did there at all (there is no fit to disc option) other than match the correct size disc I am using with the output choices.

These are old TV shows b/w and I do not need HQ by any means. Image attached of the source data.Image
    [Attachment 53595 - Click to enlarge]

Thanks in advance,

Steve
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    are you trying to create a DVD that will play in standalone players?

Or are you just trying to copy any old thing in whatever format to fill a DVD as storage ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I should have made that distinction. Yes I am creating "old school" DVD's for playing in stand alone players. I am doing this project special for my wife. It's easier for her with low vision to operate the dvd player than using my media server with Plex.

A Labor of love 10 seasons of Lassie. I got them all in MP4 format from the net, I want to be able to put as many as feasible on each 4.7 or 8.5 as I can without a terrible quality loss. Hope that was enough info.

Thanks,
    steve
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You would be surprised at how many threads start off with the respondent having to ask questions
    to find out what the thread starter is actually trying to do.

How many hours of video do you want to put on a single DVD?

The graphic above showing a source file details is not particularly relevant since the files
    are converted to DVD compliant mpeg-2 during the DVD creation process

Particularly, the bitrate of the source is not a factor.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok.

I never knew how I arrived, at what length I decided to put on the DVD's years ago. I may have done a two-step process, 1st saving the AUDIO AND VIDEO TS files that I made with TMPGenc to my hard drive, and then used DVD shrink or something similar to get them to fit my media. But if that's what I did, I want to avoid the extra step and rely on the transcoder or whatever the terminology is, in the TMPGenc to do the work. I know I used compression software sometime or another when creating my custom DVD's.

3 hours on a standard 4.7, and 5 hours on a DL 8.5 is my target.

I am sorry for not providing what info was really necessary, upfront. It's been years since I messed with this stuff, and it wasn't like getting back on a bicycle !!

Thanks,
    Steve
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not familiar with the Tmpgenc AW4, but most of these programs behave similarly (DVD Styler and AVStoDVD for example)
    You add your sources to the project and the program sets the proper bitrate based on the complete runtime.

Normally you would create a rudimentary menu when you have more than one title.

What problem are you having ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I have it Dave. I saved the audio and video ts files to my hd first then worked them out. Fortunately I still had some re-writeables left so I can trial and error without wasting media. I chose the media size in the transcoder screen and it did auto adjust there.

Thanks for your help !!

Steve
    Quote Quote