VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a friend that has a RDR-VX511. She has dubbed VHS videos to it. Unfortunately she does not have a remote for the unit and cannot finalize the discs. We have tried to finalize the DVDs on her computer via IMG Burn but it gives us the "I/O Error!" message when we try.

Can you suggest any way to finalize these discs so we can get them onto her PC for editing? I am also looking to find a remote for it.

Thanks ahead of time!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You could try with ISOBuster.

In general, though, if it was recorded on a device, the best place to finalize it is ON THAT DEVICE.
    I would recommend your friend buys a replacement remote.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If we can find the original OEM remote for sale somewhere, we will. That is something else I am working on.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ebay for remotes.

https://c.getsatisfaction.com/nero_eng/topics/finalize_dvd_r
    If it's possible on a pc....

Otherwise, I've found no. If you dont finalize on the deck, no way on the pc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by babygdav View Post
    If you dont finalize on the deck, no way on the pc.
    ISOBuster as stated by Cornucopia.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, and even IF you cannot finalize, you can still extract the data using ISOBuster, and then re-author/re-burn (if necessary).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Its always better to finalize the disc on the machine that made it if at all possible. Unfortunately as many owners learn to their grief, you cannot be lax and sloppy about "losing the remote" because these machines are useless without them. The RDR-VX511 dates from 2005, normally it can be tough finding remotes for a unit that old but apparently it was popular enough that plenty of original remotes are floating around. While generic brand new knockoff remotes are available slightly cheaper than a good used original, I'd recommend going with the real deal because this model is apparently more picky about remotes than similar Sonys. Note if the recorder has ever been reprogrammed from the default remote code (3) to one of the alternates, you may need to move the little switch on the remote to one of the other code settings (1 or 2) before the recorder will respond to it. The correct remote model is Sony RMT-D224A, lots of clean examples currently available on eBay between $20 - $30:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2386202.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.X...d224a&_sacat=0

If you need the instruction manual for details on finalizing, you can download it from Sony at this link:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/W000/W0009175M.pdf

ISObuster software is an alternative solution to extracting video from unfinalized discs, but be aware it can take quite some time with some discs and the "free" trial version will just go thru the motions but not actually extract the video until you pay $39.95 for a full license key. Amazing piece of software, well worth the money if you'll be using it a lot for other things as well, but in cases of "I lost the remote" its almost always better to buy another remote instead. If nothing else, it restores full functionality to the recorder (and your ability to sell the machine off when you don't need it any longer for at least what you spent on the remote).
    Last edited by orsetto; 25th Apr 2020 at 11:24.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the excellent responses. I have passed this information onto the friend.
    Quote Quote