VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I had problems in mpc-be with the OP's DVD samples. After disabling its internal DVD decoder and using the system-wide Lav filters
    it displays just fine. Not sure what is wrong in mpc-be, looks like some kind of interlacing interference, even though the source is progressive
    No issues here with Win10, MPHC, VLC, Vegas Video.
    They correctly report source 25p pal input, 25p pal on dvd (when mounted and viewing the VOB file).

No interlacing at all.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    It is a 5 year old model that uses a standard 1/2.3" point and shoot camera sized sensor, attempting to produce 4k video
    what is it exactly?

The camcorder as the author of the thread said is a
    "I use the Sony FDR-AX33 camcorder for video recording and I'm recording in 4K (XAVC S)."

https://www.sony.com/electronics/handycam-camcorders/fdr-ax33

One of the better 2015 4K consumer camcorders using a 1/2.3" sensor, but nowadays, exceeded in resolving power, quality, low light performance by the latest 1" camcorders and cameras (such as the RX 100), especially so by far better dslrs (E.g. Panasonic GH4, Sony A7iii, etc).

Important because in trying to resolve the mushy video issue, there's likely two or three sources.
    1. The video encoder.
    Already shown the Adobe Media Encoder produces slight more detailed encodings.
    2. Source video
    Not much one can do about this except buy and use better equipment.
    3. TV/bluray upscaling problem.
    I'm suspecting this since the dvd iso sample posted looks fine for a dvd quality home video on my TV and pc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    3. If you bothered to read all the OP's remarks he/she said that commercial dvds upscale to 4K quite fine so hardly either a tv or player issue.

My money is on the encoding and could be unique to this footage. I would not say the light is low. But it is bright with walls and white clothing. Certainly in the past encoders had issues with light material. I would suggest the OP goes outdoor and takes a sample video with not so bright backgrounds etc. and see how this turns out.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    3. If you bothered to read all the OP's remarks he/she said that commercial dvds upscale to 4K quite fine so hardly either a tv or player issue.
    I did read all of the posts.
    If you bothered to think through things clearly and not assume anything based on a few discs tested, you'd realize that simply because discs A, B, C work fine does not mean the system setup is fine for all other discs.

That said, the iso sample he provided to us can be tested on various players we have, and importantly, it Plays fine on mine and PC WITHOUT the mushy output - this immediately confirms the encoding did not create a mushy video like the photos samples he provided.

It is a 8000kpbs cbr encode, so data-rate-wise, sufficiently high for encoding a very good dvd video.

Thus, the source he is feeding to his tv (the dvd he made) does at least have the video quality needed to give a good result on the tv.

As for improper encoding, he can certainly try any other dvd burning software as a trial to make another dvd using completely different software and encoding of the original 4k camcorder video to test.

It's simply something - a connection, setting, part - that's not working somewhere in the path from 4k input video to tv that's not right. A quick fix in person, but it'll take time since there's no way to run through the common diagnostic tests in person.

Testing the pc connected to the tv, and usb drive with video connected to the tv with the same dvd quality render can quickly identify if it's a "universal" issue occurring with any dvd resolution file, or something else.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    at this point i'd agree it probably is something in the link from dvd player to tv. some setting is off. it should upscale and look ok.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow - babygdav gave the crucial hint !
    I plugged the HDMI cable into my laptop nd the screen apears on TV. Then I inserted one of all the discs I produced for testing.
    And voila! what I saw on TV screen was fine !!!
    So somehow my Samsung BR player can't handle my DVDs.
    I will do some more tests and let you know.
    But for now a big THANK YOU for all who contributed to solve my problem !!!

Regards
    Delta
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. So I was sort of wrong but surely the tv is now simply echoing 'tv-out' from the laptop rather than 'dvd-player out' from the laptop. In my book a subtle but still important difference.

So what is actually doing the up-scaling ? The player, the tv or even both ? But if commercial disks show fine with this combination - and I assume that all dvds played fine - then the player should not be at fault since BD-players should handle all disks that conform to the dvd-spec.

But for clarity of thought just try one of those commercial disks again and ensure that they still play ok. If the disk fails then 'Bingo' the player has either developed a fault or the settings were changed incorrectly.

If the commercial disks still play fine then a possible issue is the quality of the blank media. The original drive would play them but many stand-alones do have issues with burnt material. Maybe the burn program created poor media which is why many on here on recc you use imgburn for that part of the process AND good quality media such as Verbatim. So if the laser on the player had issues with reading the disk that might have meant that not all data was read.

Even so, as I said earlier, there is nothing to stop you from creating and distributing the copies (but subject to the media comments above) as per your original intention.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Well, playing the DVD from the Laptop merely confirms that when provided with a good signal of the right resolution, the TV works fine and the DVD looks fine as it should.

Still not absolutely sure if the TV or player is at fault because the laptop could be using a different output resolution than the player.
    Could be one or the other or both in combination causing the problem. Could even be the HDMI cable or HDMI port in the player.

Now that you know both TV and your burned DVD is fine in generating a good image, lets diagnose the player you have.
    1. Plug it back into the HDMI cable.
    2. Reset settings (if available in the player's menu).
    3. Turn various possible settings off - if present, turn off Motion enhancement, Deep Color, HDR, Upscaling, etc. etc. Just turn off all the possible "picture enhancing" features it has.
    a. try your disc and a commercial movie dvd (not bluray).
    4. If no improvement, Try turning on Upscaling while leaving everything else off.
    a. try the disc and a commercial movie dvd (not bluray).

Do both your disc and commercial DVD look bad?
    Or just one?

You are using a PAL-encoded 25fps DVD in your player.
    I'm assuming from the Germany country label you purchased your player in German and it is a PAL player (meaning not a foreign import from the USA where we have NTSC players, but one made for Germany and sold in Germany).

Without trying a 2nd DVD/Bluray player with your DVD, it is difficult to determine if the issue is with the TV or player.

The TV has settings you can adjust as well - you can turn off picture enhancements (deep color, hdr, motion, etc.) to test with your disc in your player that has picture enhancements turned off.

Then, at most, turn on and off Upscaling in the player and/or TV and test.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all

here are my further test results:

You should be using a HDMI cable from the DVD player into the TV.
    - Done so.
    On the TV, try turning off the Motion Plus feature if present.
    - Tried this - no matter, if turned on or off
    try putting the station.mp4 video I posted earlier, or a video of your own that's compatible on a USB flash drive, plug it into the TV, and see what it looks like in comparison to the DVD (ie. both should look as good as DVD home videos generally do).
    - I tried this with your station.mp4 and it looks absolutely sharp - the lines on the womans whit shirt are visible and avery other detail as well.

On the bluray player, try the disc with UHD Output on and off. Could very well be an upscaling issue.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/2017/05/21/ultra-high-def-tv-image-probl...uhd/101948474/
    turn deep color on and off - this can mess with outputting 4k properly
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjR6jjSw1_U
    - I tried this and it doesn't make any (visible) difference

Same with Movie Frame 24fs on and off.
    - tried it - no matter if on or off
    Turn DVD 24fs conversion off.
    - same
    Turn Progressive mode on and off.
    - no change if Auto or Video

Try plugging a laptop with DVD or PC with DVD into the HDMI cable going into the DVD player. Play your DVD disc on the PC, through the HDMI cable into the TV. How does it look?
    - This woked fine as I already said. It's Full HD (1920x1080) as TVs Info bar says. I don't know why TV switches to Full HD since DVD can only provide 720x576, but picture looks ok.

I also tried the following settings:
    TV: - Auto Motion On or OFF makes no difference
    - digital optimisation seems to bee at bit better if set to ON

BD-Player: - resolution: no difference if set to 720 or Auto
    - frequency 24F/s Movie mode: no matter if set to AUTO or OFF
    - DVD 24F/s convert: no matter if set to AUTO or OFF

So summarizing it up:
    It could be related to the BD player, but since I used a Verbatim discs the quality significantly increased.
    I never thought, that a different sort of blank discs could make such a difference, but obviouusly it is so.

Regards
    Delta
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I hate to say this but some posters, and new posters at that, appear to be issuing 'flannel'.

Comments from them are not from experience but from other comments which could equally be from peeps who also have no real experience.

if these posters do have experience then I do invite them to share that experience earlier than they registered on this forum. For my own part I have been creating digital video somewhat earlier than my registration on this forum. And I have learnt from my own mistakes/experience that blank dvds are not created equally.

I Would NEVER claim to know everything. Yet some would appear to know the lot yet really know little.

At the very least you have appreciated that by investing in more expensive media saves you more in the long term.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Allow me to add one proviso when burning even quality media

Assume your media is rated at 16x. Burn that at 8x. Or, to put a finer point on it, NEVER burn at more than 50% of the rated speed.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @DB83: I can understand your criticism and take it to heart, but I ONLY use Verbatim media for DVD and BD. Just for testing as for this project I use the chaeper ones. But I never had such a big difference. And the cheap media don't look that worse played in the laptop as the do in my BD player.
    In fact these Verbatim media are reated for 16x, but I did burn it on 8x - just to put one more piece of safety on it.
    Quote Quote