VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello i am trying to make a DVD from a mp4 file.
    I am using DVD flick since it does all the encoding ect for you as well as burn the disk
    but lately ive been getting this error when its on the last step "author DVD" (error log is attached)

Can anyone tell me why this is happening and possibly a fix??

Thank you for your help
    Image Attached Files

2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use Avstodvd. Dvd flick has not been updated in years and may have problem with some mp4s.

3. AVStoDVD has excellent support from its developer, who is responsive to any question posed here. Many DVDflick users have switched over to AVStoDVD for this reason. However, some still prefer DVDflick despite its irritating "Error-53". If you are one of those people, here is what I have learned over seven years experience:

In a nutshell, DVDflick has always been a cranky buggy PITA program that works or fails at whim. Sometimes you get a long winning streak where it always seems to work fine, then one day it starts throwing fits and won't finish any project at all. Nine times out of ten, the failure is caused by an unpredictable bug in its authoring system that tanks the program one second before it finishes the project (infuriating). In every single case I've experienced, the bug is triggered during creation of the thumbnails for menu layout.

Aside from completely uninstalling/re-installing DVDflick (which only solves the problem once), there is only one sure-fire workaround to the annoying "Error -53 File Not Found" bug: re-do the project with NO menu whatsoever (choose "none" in the Menu Settings). The Error -53 bug is triggered by menu creation: no menu = no bug. This will result in a DVD that automatically begins playing the first title when loaded in a player. No big deal for a single movie, but a little inconvenient for a DVD with several TV episodes. You can simplify navigation by choosing NO chapters within each episode, click only the checkbox for "Create new chapter for each new source" in the Chapter settings dialog. This gives you a DVD that will skip directly to the next or previous episode with each press of the chapter <> buttons on your player remote.

If you really MUST have a graphic menu with thumbnails, you'll have to get a bit geeky and force DVDflick to finish authoring by tinkering with the incomplete files, as follows (this takes MUCH longer to read than to do):

Upon seeing the Error -53 notice, immediately look inside the "dvd" folder created by DVDflick on your computer hard drive. You should find a couple dozen gibberish files: scroll to the bottom and check if there is a single "Title0.mpg" (for a movie disc) or several files named "Title0, Title1, Title2, Title3" etc for a DVD you made from multiple video files. Delete everything in this dvd folder EXCEPT the "Title.mpg" files. Rename this "dvd" folder: call it "Project Files" or whatever.

Now, re-do the entire project, but use these salvaged "Titles" instead of the original video files:

Close the white error alert, then the gray Close button at bottom right of the DVDflick finish box. This will return you to your original project screen. Leave this open, so you can see the title names. The .mpgs in the "Project Files" folder are numbered in the same order as your original DVDflick layout: "Title0.mpg" is the first video, "Title1" is the second, and so on. Rename each of these "Title.mpgs" to match the names of your corresponding original files.

Open a second, new DVDflick project by double-clicking the DVDflick icon on your desktop or from Start Menu>Programs>DVDflick.

In the new, empty DVDflick project screen, add the .mpg files to match the order you had in the original project.

In the new project, set the thumbnail pic and chapter setting to match your original layout.

Close the original (failed) DVDflick project now.

In the new project, for EACH title go to Edit Title>Audio Tracks>Edit and click the Ignore Audio Delay checkbox. Click the Accept button after each change.

Then, for EACH title go to Edit Title>Video Sources>Pixel Aspect Ratio and change from "Default" to either 4:3 or 16:9 (whatever is correct for each video). Click the Accept button after each change.

Then, for EACH title go to Edit Title>General and set the Target Aspect Ratio corrrectly for each title (Normal 4:3 or Widescreen 16:9). The Target Aspect Ratio for each title should be the same as the Pixel Aspect Ratio.

Now, go to Menu Settings and choose a dvd menu design.

Go to Project Settings, and type in whatever project name you'd like to appear in the dvd menu.

IMPORTANT: while in Project Settings, click the Video button, then click the Advanced button that appears, then click the checkbox for "Copy MPEG2 Streams" and the Accept button.

Save the project, then click the Create DVD button.

DVDflick will now pick up where it left off, generating a new DVD from the files it had nearly completed the first time around. This takes approx 10 to 12 minutes on a Win7 Intel i3 laptop.

DVDflick should finish the project without an Error-53, but if it does error out again just delete the failed "dvd" folder, go back into DVDflick and choose a different menu design. Hit Create DVD again, and it almost always succeeds. I have found the awful "Orange LED" menu design is the one most likely to work without error.

In some very rare cases, DVDflick just cannot create a DVD menu from certain source files: it will Error-53 no matter what workaround is tried. If you are short on time and patience, I suggest choosing "none" as the menu option to ensure DVDflick will complete the project on its first attempt. While it is nice to have a menu, it isn't strictly necessary: you can still jump around the DVD using chapter skip.

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    C:\Users\CNC1\Downloads\Tele\DVD Movie
    Remove name spaces

Secondly, move project folder to, example C:/projectoutput

The shorter folder allocation is better

Gaps in folder / file names ... folders more than two deep tend to trigger the 53 error.

Third, just spotted you folder is located under the users folder ... do not place your project folder here as user permissions can get in the way and halt the project.
    Last edited by Bjs; 6th Apr 2015 at 23:09.

5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all for the help
    I tried AVStoDVD for the same file twice....and each time it the audio was way out of sync (like 3-4 seconds) with the video
    Any ideas for that??....I did what the FAQ in the program told me...

So im currently trying DVDFlick again with no menus and hopefully that'll work out for me

6. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Regardless of anything else, I strongly advise you to upgrade to version 1.3.0.9. It includes a newer version of ffmpeg which is much faster.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

7. Originally Posted by SheenSizzle View Post
    I tried AVStoDVD for the same file twice....and each time it the audio was way out of sync (like 3-4 seconds) with the video
    Any ideas for that??....I did what the FAQ in the program told me...
    Post here the AVStoDVD project log file. You find it in the DVD output folder (if you don't have deleted it yet...).

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage

8. Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    Regardless of anything else, I strongly advise you to upgrade to version 1.3.0.9. It includes a newer version of ffmpeg which is much faster.
    Not necessarily: it slowed my workflow to a dead stop on several PCs. Each revision of DVDflick after 1.3.0.5 introduces a host of tricky incompatibilities that vary with system configurations. I found 1.3.0.9 totally unusable, so reverted back to 1.3.0.7 within days. And 1.3.0.7 needs to be hacked for usable performance on many PCs: a modified version of ffmpeg swapped for the ffmpeg that 1.3.0.7 installs. There's certainly no harm test driving 1.3.0.9 on any given system: if you see improvements, great, but if you get more bugs, roll back to 1.3.0.7. And of course try out AVStoDVD.

9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All,
    I love using DVD Flick but I have noticed that it double burns the same selected show or video on the disc eating up space. On a Sony DVD+R 120 minute, 4.7Gb disc I find that a simple hour long episode of any show will record twice on the DVD. I cannot figure out for the life of me what to change or do so I only get one recorded version of the show. Does not matter what show, it will encode and then go into burn mode as supposed to but then will burn twice. Any ideas? It plays back fine in my player with the tv but just eats up all the disc with one show! Please email me my name is Mike and my email is.... rose421@bellsouth.net Thank You!

10. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oilbaron View Post
    Hi All,
    I love using DVD Flick but I have noticed that it double burns the same selected show or video on the disc eating up space. On a Sony DVD+R 120 minute, 4.7Gb disc I find that a simple hour long episode of any show will record twice on the DVD. I cannot figure out for the life of me what to change or do so I only get one recorded version of the show. Does not matter what show, it will encode and then go into burn mode as supposed to but then will burn twice. Any ideas? It plays back fine in my player with the tv but just eats up all the disc with one show! Please email me my name is Mike and my email is.... rose421@bellsouth.net Thank You!
    What do you mean by burning twice? Maybe it's just verifying the burn.

If you let it, DVD Flick will fill an entire DVD with a one hour video, because it will use the maximum bitrate allowed (9000 kbps). Of course, this only happens if you let the bitrate option at the "Auto-fit" default setting.

So, what is your problem exactly? Do you want more than one video in each DVD? If so, just add another source video to the project and DVD Flick will adjust the bitrate accordingly. You can see the bitrate used by looking at the lower right corner of DVD Flick window. I would advise you not to go below 4000 kbps.

If you keep adding more videos to the project, DVD Flick will keep reducing the bitrate so that the output files will fit on the disk. However, if DVD Flick reaches 2000 kbps, it won't go below that, and in that case, the percentage bar will go red and the output files will no longer fit on one DVD.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

11. What Keyser said: if you just add one TV episode file to DVDflick, it can and often will suck up most of the disc capacity. If you hear your drive apparently burning the disc twice, the second time is almost certainly the verification step. DVDflick installs the IMGburn disc burning utility, and invokes it automatically to burn your DVD as soon as it finishes encoding. IMGburn by default verifies each burn (after it burns your DVD at high speed, it then reads it at high speed to confirm it burned with no errors). You can disable this verification step in the IMGburn window, if the extra delay bothers you.

The apparent "double recordings on the dvd" issue can have several causes: some are simple misunderstandings of how DVDflick works.

1. When adding or editing video files in the project screen, you have to be careful not to accidentally hit the "add" button again, or it can add duplicates of the same video which will in fact fill up the dvd.

2. Check your source videos: some videos obtained from download sites are pretty screwed up. I have run across a a few dopey files that actually do contain the same TV episode or movie duplicated two or three times in sequence. When added to the DVDflick project window, these will look like a single video, but upon playback will repeat. The only way around this is to edit out the duplicated material from the defective original file before loading it into DVDflick.

3. Check your DVDflick preferences and settings. By default, DVDflick adds a "repeat" flag to every DVD it authors (when the last video on the disc finishes playing, the disc loops back to the beginning until you stop your player manually). So if you only added a single TV episode to your DVDflick project, when you play the DVD that same episode will keep repeating, giving the illusion it was burned more than once to the disc. You can disable this "repeat" feature in the DVDflick settings window (be sure to click the "make this a default" button, so your changes stick, otherwise the repeat setting will turn itself on again when you start another project).

4. Finally, and this is a long shot: if you are new to using DVDflick, you might think it works like a dvd recorder (add one episode to a dvd, then later add another and then another). This is not the case: DVDflick, AVS2DVD, and other PC utilities can only create completed, one-shot dvds. If you only load one TV episode in your DVDflick project, the result will be a wasteful disc with only one episode that can never have another ep added. So don't create a DVDflick project until you have enough episodes to make good use of the disc capacity. As Keyser noted, DVDflick maxes out at roughly 200 mins per project. I recommend keeping it under 3 hours, which means 3 "hour long" or 6 "half hour" shows per dvd (depends on the TV shows: premium or foreign shows run closer to the hour or half hour mark, standard shows with commercials removed run 22 mins or 43 mins allowing more flexibility).

12. DVD Flick works fine on my Windows XP machine. On Windows 5 I get error 53. I found that unclicking Menu settings, Auto-play menu I wouldn't get this error. When you play the DVD, it will start playing the first video automatically. At the end of the first video, then it will take you to menu if you had selected Project settings, Playback "Return to menu". Seems like a reasonable compromise.

I still like DVD Flick and I would like an alternative that doesn't have this quirk but has the features of DVD Flick.