VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello!

I'm trying to capture my television with composite cables through a USB dongle mentioned in the title.
    However, for some strange reason, there's a huge, green bar at the bottom of the screen for no reason at all.
    This happens whenever I connect the USB to the computer and try to stream live TV.
    Any tips?

Here's a screenshot of the problem:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	adsasd.png
Views:	768
Size:	506.4 KB
ID:	34638
    Last edited by Keitaro004; 27th Nov 2015 at 05:39.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Component vs. Composite?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sorry; I meant "Composite".
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've never seen that on my USB Live|2 but then again I know ZERO about live streaming.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Trying to capture PAL but the source is NTSC?
    Quote Quote  
  6. No, my TV is PAL, so that should be correct.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What software are you using? I have had partially green screens using VLC with a different USB stick type capture device, but it isn't consistent. Just closing VLC and starting over would correct the problem. [Edit] Oops I see you are using WinTV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That odd Keitaro004 you want try Hauppauge Tech even I never show one that before
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Keitaro004 View Post
    No, my TV is PAL, so that should be correct.
    PAL TVs can display PAL60 -- that's a signal with NTSC timing but a PAL chroma subcarrier. Trying to capture that with PAL timing can produce something like what you're seeing, about 480 lines of picture in the 576 line frame. It's usually VHS decks that output PAL60 -- when playing NTSC tapes.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I followed your advice, Jagabo, and managed to get rid of the green bar by switching to NTSC. But, it cropped my image and basicly removed the area where the green bar was. Now it's missing 20% of the screen. Not sure what to do now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't understand.....what are you capturing?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Keitaro004 View Post
    I followed your advice, Jagabo, and managed to get rid of the green bar by switching to NTSC. But, it cropped my image and basicly removed the area where the green bar was. Now it's missing 20% of the screen. Not sure what to do now.
    If you watch the tape on TV is there 20 percent more picture at the bottom? Or is the same picture squeezed into the 480 line capture?

And what exactly are you capturing from? A VHS deck? Cable? Satellite? Can you set that source device to PAL output instead of PAL60 or NTSC?
    Last edited by jagabo; 30th Nov 2015 at 13:04.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm capturing from a digital TV decoder (cable). It's basically Live-TV, only through a box with selectable channels.
    I've connected it to my USB capture device by composite cables.

Yeah, there's 20% more picture on my TV. I've compared them several times.
    I can't do anything with any of the settings on my device. I suppose it automatically adjusts to the required resolution.
    My computers' max resolution is 1366x768, but that shouldn't really matter when I'm capturing SD video.

If it's worth mentioning, the device would show the whole picture on my stationary PC for some reason. I stopped using it, as the computer disturbs the capture (with several transparent lines rolling downwards) and has an annoying buzz sound as I record.

I'm now using my laptop, and the only problem I have is the cropped picture.
    Last edited by Keitaro004; 30th Nov 2015 at 13:33.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Did you change the cable box's output to match what you want to capture as?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Keitaro004 View Post
    the device would show the whole picture on my stationary PC... I'm now using my laptop, and the only problem I have is the cropped picture.
    That would indicate a driver or configuration problem. Or OS compatibility issue. Go back to capturing PAL and try looking for newer or older drivers, reinstalling the drivers and software, and check all the settings.
    Quote Quote  
  16. This happened to me when capture was in PAL mode for NTSC, but I have not tried to do PAL on PAL. This also happened with Adobe when I tried to capture and couldn't get it to work.

Try on VirtualDub if only to test and it should work fine with proper region/resolution settings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by premiumcapture View Post
    Try on VirtualDub if only to test and it should work fine with proper region/resolution settings.
    Do you know for a fact that this Hauppauge works with VirtualDub?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I use it regularly, but only with NTSC
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I only got it to work once (PAL capture). Switched to DScaler when I need lossless.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I only got it to work once (PAL capture). Switched to DScaler when I need lossless.
    That's too bad. Did you ever try to set PAL through the Hauppauge driver menu as well?

PS - do you think DScaler is better? I tried it out but I couldn't tell if there was any benefit. Still capturing Huffy on VirtualDub in Windows 10, but always looking to improve.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That's too bad. Did you ever try to set PAL through the Hauppauge driver menu as well?

PS - do you think DScaler is better? I tried it out but I couldn't tell if there was any benefit. Still capturing Huffy on VirtualDub in Windows 10, but always looking to improve.
    I can capture PAL60 via WinTV so I'm a happy camper.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a driver menu. I've also been told it's because I don't use a "real" version of VirtualDub (1.8.5).
    Once I found DScaler I sort of lost interest in capturing with VDub. I still use it quite often(VDub) when I need to so simple stuff that I do not care too much about 'cause I can frameserve over to an old version of MainConcept.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Once I found DScaler I sort of lost interest in capturing with VDub. I still use it quite often(VDub) when I need to so simple stuff that I do not care too much about 'cause I can frameserve over to an old version of MainConcept.
    I forget how to get to the menu directly, but a quick way is to open it as a capture device in VLC and go into settings and you should be able to get there if you're curious. I'm on a Mac but I will try to post instructions later.

With DScaler, does it capture lossless in-sync out of the box or do you have to set it up a particular way?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    With DScaler, does it capture lossless in-sync out of the box or do you have to set it up a particular way?
    Nope....no sync issues for me with DScaler, but to be honest I don't ever recall having sync issues.
    My capture arsenal includes WinTV, DScaler and Magix Movie Edit 15.
    I also have an old Hauppauge PVR-350 installed which I rarely use anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Hello again. I managed to fix the crop by downloading older drivers, which worked for some reason... even though I'm on a Windows 10. However, now there's this annoying high pitched sound in the background. It's very noticable in more quiet scenes. Tried to fix this by lowering the volume of the recorded video, but to no avail... It sounds kind of like when an old television set is turned on.
    Last edited by Keitaro004; 6th Dec 2015 at 18:59.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Keitaro004 View Post
    Hello again. I managed to fix the crop by downloading older drivers, which worked for some reason... even though I'm on a Windows 10. However, now there's this annoying high pitched sound in the background. It's very noticable in more quiet scenes. Tried to fix this by lowering the volume of the recorded video, but to no avail... It sounds kind of like when an old television set is turned on.
    Never had any audio problems with mine.
    Having said that....people wonder why I still use XP?

Quote Quote