VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. I really cant believe this thread is still going. The studio's can really control us from backing our own vids so why prevent someone else. If people dont want their friends to copy the movie then dont lend it out. The same goes with family. My family has no clie how to even check email so I really dont need to worry about copying my movies. Friends on the other hand , thats a different story.
    Life is like a pothole, you just have to learn to get around it.

Search PM
    Originally Posted by MarioB
    Hi all! This is just one more spark to the fire!

Have you ever heard about “Video Content Protection System” (VCPS)? This system was jointly developed by Philips and HP a couple of years ago for DVD+R/RW discs (including DL).

I do not have the sufficient professional skills to understand the “mechanism” of this system (I’m just an amateur home video maker), so that’s why I would like to hear your opinion about it. Is this applicable for our home DVDs authoring discs, with the tools we usually have (the PC, the DVD authoring software, the DVD writer…)?

You can find a short description of VCPS in the attached brochure. More information is also available from Philips at:

www.licensing.philips.com/vcps

vcps_brochure.pdf
    This is to be implemented by home recorders and players (and presumably software players and recorders as well). It's technique is similar to, but not identical or compatible with, CSS. It is used strictly for user-recorded material.

VCPS doesn't have to be on ALL discs, just ones where the source (Dubber In/Line In/TVch Decoder) is telling the recorder that this is "producer protected", aka it's trying to enforce the "Broadcast Flag" (and similar technological inhibiting schemes).

So far, unlike what Philips' site might lead you to believe, the (mandatory use of the) Broadcast Flag hasn't been written into law, so it's not as common as you might fear. But just wait... ([RANT] Write your representative and demand better consumer rights! [/RANT])

This system doesn't (maybe I should say "Shouldn't") stop users from copying their own (aka unprotected) material.

This system is also similar to, but not compatible with, the DVD-Forum's version, "CPRM".

Just like any other encryption system, if there's critical mass against it, somebody'll probably write code to break it...

Scott

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I say if you sell it, the consumer then owns that property. It is then up to the consumer what he or she wants to do with the property they just purchased. So when it comes to a DVD that the consumer purchased it is then up to that consumer if he or she decides to copy the disc and do whatever with it as the consumer please to do. If I buy a dvd for 30.00 then I own it I have the right to copy it. It's mine not the MPPA! I bought it, it is mine. The MPPA need to understand that it is them that is in violation. Hey look at it this way....before the beta did you dicks exist? Did the movie actors get paid for their job when movies on films were showed in theatre? Want to stop piracy then dont release movies on dvd.
    Man do I ever enjoy doing what I do best!

Search PM
    Piracy existed with film-only distribution also (it was just alot smaller). There are a couple of fairly straightforward ways to dub film (contact print/projection/non-diverging lens/expose raw film/develop...)

Scott

>>>
    edit: Want to stop piracy, stop releasing Movies. and all other media. Then, they'll have to make it all up on their own.

5. dvdcrack:

You bought the film you didn't buy the rights to distribute multiple copies. You can sell your video that you bought, just destroy backup he copies you made or give them to the buyer too. Buying it, ripping it to say Divx and posting it for others is not a right you bought.

6. Damn, yall keep goin on and on, same ol stuff, we just want one of you smart guys who break copy protections to write one that will still play on DVD players. Who cares if it can be broken or cracked...humor us. Not everybody searches hack sites for these hacks, not everybody wants to decrypt or encrypt or author. It would just be nice to pot a block from Nero or Any standard legal DVD copy program from rippin a copy so easy. Some of people I know dont even have an internet conection, so their not gonna have DVDshrink or Decryptor, they just happen to have a DVDRW drive and a generic program and wallah they can copy the movie I worked hours on and paid for. Yeh I know dont let em use it lock it up...I herd it all, the only real copy protection is stamped into disc(come on) yet yall smart ass hackers can break it in minutes but ya cant write a simple program to keep Leagal DVD recorders from copying(come On)...Yall all say ur a hippacrit or contradict urself by ripping off artist then try to screw ur customers...so what... use the tools available, like yall said anyone with a brain can crack a dvd...well what about those without a brain and a pocket full of money(why cant I profit from my work) just write a simple program and quit complaining about rights and values..we wann screw somebody else just like yall screwing sony, and disney with hackin their copy protection, we wanna add a simple one for the idots out their to lazy and to cheap to do the work, or pay for internet, or pay for more than one copy...just do it.
    "Those Who Must Be Kept"

Search Comp PM

Read my blog here.

8. Lol...I knew yall would beat around the bush again, start with arguments about CSS and microvision and Factory DVDs and commercial fees of replacating, duplicating and pressing. wtf, listen u rude bastards(lol) its simple, stop avoiding the question. What happen to honor among theives, what theif wants his/her shit stolen that he/she just stole. I know it can be gotton around...great free country, I just wanna make em get around it, do a little(very little)work, if I had to do it. Just a basic ,simple , :leagal dvd recorder program confusior, thats all its great u can break it faster than u can make it, just make it ...humor us, make a blank sector adding freeware that will confuse basic recording software, not DVD fab or shrink or decryptor, just ones like Nero, and DVDcopy and roxio shit like that totaly leagal softward that dummies who dont search for decrypting sortware to remove copy protection. wtf like I said just do it end the repeating threads, dont apply to sony it can be broken, but we dont wanna work for sony either just to get a little speed bump put on DVD-R's...freakin kill me with the shit...blah blah, ohhh cool pictures,, I believe ur over compensating...lol
    "Those Who Must Be Kept"

Search Comp PM
    I sometimes read these posts and simply have to wonder how old the poster is. It's not often I see three sentences take up three inches of space, with every third word misspelled. That takes a unique talent.

You cannot protect your own recordings. Get over it. People far smarter than you have already tried and failed.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS

Search PM
    Originally Posted by DaywalkerZane
    idots out their to lazy and to cheap to do the work, or pay for internet, or pay for more than one copy...just do it.
    Just do it? What gives you the right to demand anything?

What's preventing you from attempting to create something yourself?
    You don't have to answer that you already did "idots out their to lazy and to cheap to do the work"

You expect something for free to protect your own financial interests, contradictory isn't it?

The reason your not going to see such software is because such a program would be the complete opposite of the reason why people who write free software do so to begin with. Don't hold your breath waiting for it.

Search Comp PM
    Just stick a pic of Rosie O'Donnell in the beginning of your DVD...This will scare any human away.

12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    it does make me giggle when someone at a video help (copying capturing converting ripping) asks how to protect thier work.... ha ha ha pmsl

Search PM
    What the h3LL, I'm in the mood for a pile-on, and what's one more post to an already too-long thread!...

Lol...I knew yall would beat around the bush again, start with arguments about CSS and microvision and Factory DVDs and commercial fees of replacating, duplicating and pressing.
    Nobody's beating around the bush. What part of "NO" don't you understand? That's pretty danged straightforward.

wtf, listen u rude bastards(lol) its simple, stop avoiding the question.
    You're the rude bastard. Stop avoiding the answer. Again. NO!

What happen to honor among theives, what theif wants his/her shit stolen that he/she just stole. I know it can be gotton around...great free country,
    Honor among theives is a myth, as any theif would tell you. Thing is, most people here DON'T consider themselves to be thieves, just regular Joes that want to do regular consumer stuff and are being hampered by stupid Corporate-favoring rules. So, you're asking a Non-thief to act like a fictionalized thief.????

I just wanna make em get around it, do a little(very little)work, if I had to do it. Just a basic ,simple , :leagal dvd recorder program confusior, thats all its great u can break it faster than u can make it, just make it ...humor us,
    I just wrote a great encryption program and put it up on the net, but it's a secret filename, with a secret address. If you can find it, you can use it---but you have to do a little work to find it... :P

make a blank sector adding freeware that will confuse basic recording software, not DVD fab or shrink or decryptor, just ones like Nero, and DVDcopy and roxio shit like that totaly leagal softward that dummies who dont search for decrypting sortware to remove copy protection.
    This just shows that you don't really know how DVDs work. I'd tell you, but like I said, it's a secret you'll have to do a little work for...

wtf like I said just do it end the repeating threads, dont apply to sony it can be broken, but we dont wanna work for sony either just to get a little speed bump put on DVD-R's...freakin kill me with the shit...blah blah, ohhh cool pictures,, I believe ur over compensating...lol
    I find it amusing that of all of your 19 posts, most of them are "how to use decryptor/fab/shrink", 1 is a gripe that you don't understand your DVD recorder, and the rest are your ramblings on this thread. Get a life! And learn a few things...

Scott

p.s. people respect you alot LESS when you write so atrociously!

14. If you guys did'nt spend so much time writing these soap opera post, maybe you could write a program to do what the origional poster asked. But no you'd rather just keep on wining about what people post, me get a life, lol all you guys that post these comments also have posted sever hundred comments just like this to several hundred more threads, just bashing people asking questions, sounds like you need to get a life, posting drama threads 24/7 is not a life. And "lordsmurf" checking your other posts I find several instances where you used a noun when you should have used a verb, and you started severl sentences without capitalizing your first word. And you also did not capitalize several proper nouns, I guess what I'm saying is I hope your a gramer teacher in real life because on here ur a dork(lol). spellin, u kiddin me, freakin lamo..come on, I cant believe yall pulled me in to your drama, I did'nt post the question, I only replied my opinion as worthless as it may be here in Val Halla (lol) and yes u all are theives...talkin about corporate this and big business, when it comes down to it your stealin money out of some several hundred people's pocket, duhh, try to deny what u doin ur only foolin yourself. Please.
    "Those Who Must Be Kept"

Search Comp PM
    Take your medication and go back to your padded room. Loony.
    Read my blog here.

Search Comp PM
    And "lordsmurf" checking your other posts I find several instances where you used a noun when you should have used a verb, and you started severl sentences without capitalizing your first word.
    - Nouns instead of verbs? Your statement doesn't even make sense. Nouns and verbs are not interchangeable.
    - The second one happens from time to time; it's a typo. Actually, it's a SHIFT key that is a bit too stiff on that particular keyboard. The lower left CTRL does it too. I usually go back and edit them when I see them.
    - Until you can quote MLA, AP and CMS to me, don't dare try to correct my grammar.

Copy protection methods, much like spelling and correct sentence structure, are clearly something you do not comprehend, given the rude and aggressive demands.

Just because you want something, it doesn't mean you'll get it, or even that's it's possible.

I wish those lazy NASA bastards would hurry up and make a spaceship that goes to Saturn in 10 minutes. They need to quit wasting time and telling us it's not possible right now.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS

Search PM
    DaywalkerZane,

Guess you didn't want to make any effort to find my encryption program, huh? Oh, well.

You don't happen to secretly be ROF, do you?

Scott