VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    Is the bluray player faster in the sense it can do any bitrate put on a dvd?
    Or do you need to stick to 10 Mbit and below as for conventional dvd?

Any difference DVD RW or DVD R?

I just did a short 40s test video, and first 20s i ok, but then stutters both video and audio and video play way too fast as well.

If I put same m2ts file on thumb drive and plays it is fine.

A lot about DVD you find on search engines is so outdated regarding this.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by larioso; 11th Dec 2016 at 06:52.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You need bitrates <15Mb/s to be safe for DVD media . It's limited by transfer speed. So a typical 24-28Mb/s AVCHD stream will stutter on most devices if you use DVD media. BD media supports 40Mb/s
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Thank you.
    I tried 1920x1080i 25 fps and 1920x1080p 24 fps - what I can see looks ok, just stutters after 20s(which is half testvideo).
    So felt i might be bitstream not low enough.

But will check lower quality not to exceed 10 Mbit/s then maybe, according to table.
    I had that on auto first, but not sure what last quality I had made for Mbit.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You need bitrates <15Mb/s to be safe for DVD media . It's limited by transfer speed. So a typical 24-28Mb/s AVCHD stream will stutter on most devices if you use DVD media. BD media supports 40Mb/s
    Thanks to you too.
    I thought they just doubled rotation speed as needed and cached in memory or something to play it back with some read-ahead.
    AT least thought BD drive could fix that.

Will try reduce quality a bit and see how it goes.

I thought that MPEG-2 as normal DVD compression would generate so much lower bitstreams as H264, so full hd would be no problem from a DVD.

On the computer I burn DVD I have MPC-HC player and it plays the DVD from DVD drive just fine, but strange bps of 35 fps or so - but it works.
    I could see that disc itself worked, which was a DVD RW even that I formatted for UDF 2.50. Had a couple of disc that were not ok at first, so thought maybe as Xbox played were something wrong with disc as such.

I used Nero Video 2017 to edit and burn.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    assuming you copied the file to the DVD as a Data disc
    it might be a data rate transfer problem

IF you authored a DVD then it was re-encoded and the file is corrupted , because DVD file format does not support those bit rates
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    assuming you copied the file to the DVD as a Data disc
    it might be a data rate transfer problem

IF you authored a DVD then it was re-encoded and the file is corrupted , because DVD file format does not support those bit rates
    Thanks.
    I run the Bluray player app on Xbox.

It's a AVCHD image that is written as not data disk which holds a BDMV folder in root and a number for subfolders to that.

And a M2TS file is an a folder called STREAM, which in itself can be moved to a usb drive - but MediaPlayer app on Xbox is so buggy that it shuts down the console as a whole with some files, no questions asked. So figured I have to do the DISC thing after all - and ended up with these disc issues instead.

But assume the very highest quality bitrates are reserved for BD disks.

Bought Xbox thinking it would work as a proper BD player, even for DVD disks with full hd - but maybe I should look for a standalone player after all.
    I haven't checked exactly what formats are needed to put on Vimeo or similar places. The Vimeo app for Xbox shows stunning films. But I learn as I go....
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did some further tests.
    Settings rendering and burning was set to 14 Mbit/s and dvd media for avchd is supposed to handle 18 Mbit.
    So it should really be ok, but tried a custom setting down to 9998 or something like that and bluray player app in xbox just seemed confused.
    So burned a new on with default settings - and it plays double speed and second half 20s stutters. And that would almost be no wonder - since it is probably trying to run much higher reading speed than needed.

Copied the same m2ts file from dvd stream folder to usb thumb drive - and played with MediaPlayer app in Xbox - and it plays perfectly, right speed and no stutter audio.
    So my conclusion is that blueray player app in Xbox is buggy.

The playlist file MPLS - can that cause confusion and hold framrate that might tell different story to player how to play disc?
    If that is not involved in that - it must be something with bluray app itself.
    Thanks for reading, and any input is always welcome....
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You need bitrates <15Mb/s to be safe for DVD media . It's limited by transfer speed. So a typical 24-28Mb/s AVCHD stream will stutter on most devices if you use DVD media. BD media supports 40Mb/s
    The figures you put seems to really accurate.
    I found the view button and settings on blu-ray app on X1 - and it says my file plays with 24-28 Mbps - so no wonder it stutter trying to get that from DVD.

Since the MediaPlayer app playing from usb thumb drive play the same M2TS file in correct speed, something is wrong with Blu-ray app in Xbox.
    It tries to play 25 fps in 50 fps it seems.

Just a bunch of rookies programming apps on Xbox and nowhere to report bugs either.
    I just have to get me a standalone player and abandon idea using xbox for this.
    Quote Quote  
  9. You need to limit peak bitrate as well as the average bitrate. Use Bitrate Viewer to check your bitrates.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You need to limit peak bitrate as well as the average bitrate. Use Bitrate Viewer to check your bitrates.
    Thanks for the tip - will do.

In the case of Xbox Blu-ray app I think it is some confusion about what the fps field says, and think the Nero force interlaced when 25 fps.
    So it may interpret as half frame 25 fps - so I must use 25 fps as full frame video doubling how many frames from source I read.

But MediaPlayer app do it right, and players on pc is not problem either.

The monitor I have says 56-60 Hz vertical frequency over hdmi and 1920x1080 60 Hz as max.
    But 50-75 Hz over rgb which I don't use.
    From DVD-players over hdmi montor says 50 Hz though when they start up, and never had any strange fenomena.

Xbox One says 1080p 60 Hz running, and the options 24 fps is checked but grayed in Xbox settings.
    Xbox 360 says 1080p 60 Hz.

I don't know how these things affect each other and if that can influence how player do it right or not.

Will test what options I have in Premiere and try to figure it out.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need to limit peak bitrate as well as the average bitrate. Use Bitrate Viewer to check your bitrates.
    I used MediaInfo and it says as expected 14 mbps, overall 14.8 mbps. 25 fps, interleaved, topframe first, 2 ref frames, 1920x1080.

So it seems Blu-ray app on Xbox interpret this to play as 50 fps or something since it displays jumping between 24-28 mbps.
    Quote Quote  
  12. MediaInfo is useless for this. It doesn't parse the actual video stream, just reports what's in the header. Use Bitrate Viewer. It will show you a graph of the bitrate over the entire file. And it will report the true average and peak bitrates. For example:

[Attachment 40140 - Click to enlarge]

That video has an average bitrate of about 10 Mb/s but there are peaks over 40 Mb/s.
    Last edited by jagabo; 2nd Jan 2017 at 11:50.
    Quote Quote  
  13. True, but correctly interpreting the Bitrate Viewer results is not trivial. You can have a lot of high spikes but that doesn't imply any playback problem or spec violation. To see spec violations you need a buffer verifier (vbv).
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MediaInfo is useless for this. It doesn't parse the actual video stream, just reports what's in the header. Use Bitrate Viewer. It will show you a graph of the bitrate over the entire file. And it will report the true average and peak bitrates.
    Ok, thanks.

Min: 12293 kbps
    Max: 15454 kbps
    AVG: 14032 kbps
    1920x1080 PAL 25 fps

It does not say inteleaved or not, but both Nero says at export and MediaInfo that is how it should be handled.

MPCHC plays it perfectly and says 13973/15440 kbps

The videofile seems fine to me.
    Crap programming of Blu-ray app.
    Last edited by larioso; 2nd Jan 2017 at 11:54.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    True, but correctly interpreting the Bitrate Viewer results is not trivial. You can have a lot of high spikes but that doesn't imply any playback problem or spec violation. To see spec violations you need a buffer verifier (vbv).
    Yes, a buffer verifier is even better. But you need to know what the buffer parameters are for your playback device.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Another possibility with disc playback is bad muxing. If the audio and video aren't close together the player will have to seek back and forth within the file. That's not a problem playing from a hard drive with 10 ms seek times. But it's catastrophic for DVD with 1000 ms seek times.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another possibility with disc playback is bad muxing. If the audio and video aren't close together the player will have to seek back and forth within the file. That's not a problem playing from a hard drive with 10 ms seek times. But it's catastrophic for DVD with 1000 ms seek times.
    But it does not explain why Blu-ray app tries to play back at 24-28 mbps.
    If only stuttering and saying around 14 mbps could mean something like that though.

MediaPlayer app, even though from usb drive, plays correctly.

Simply wrong Blu-ray app programming interpreting how it should be handled is my verdict.
    Quote Quote